Generic Virus Thread

villakram

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The French have tightened their lockdown - no more going outdoors for exercise. 

My boss seems to have been told to expect the same here from the weekend and warned us to keep our key worker letters on us.  I don't know whether it's just to control people over the bank holidays or what. 

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

My boss seems to have been told to expect the same here from the weekend and warned us to keep our key worker letters on us.  I don't know whether it's just to control people over the bank holidays or what. 

If folks do as many expect by taking the mick this weekend then it seems inevitable.

Hopefully outside the cities the police will use their discretion and common sense* - people round here are really taking it seriously, bar a few teenagers.

*yeah, I know...

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

They’ve finally closed the car parks here. But also, gone around the streets putting out no parking and residents only signs AND distributing cones for ‘locals’ to put out whenever a free parking space appears. Trying to get a local community effort going to stop people driving in and street parking.

Might actually be a decent idea.

Friday and Saturday parts of the UK are in for some great weather so can see a lot of people being out and about on those days.

I do have sympathy for people who live in a flat or an apartment without their own outside space, more so if they have children, as staying in especially when really nice weather outside is not going to be easy. I think is easy for people like me with a garden/decent outside space to spend time in to persecute others going out. Clearly though not all those going out and swanning around like nothing is wrong are people without their own outside space.

• Like 2

throwing out the baby with the bathwater will be a total waste. If there are danger zones, apply restrictions to areas where too many people may get the same idea to enjoy the sun, but for those us not near great big park areas, wandering around empty industrial estates and vacant parking lots to get out exercise in, why punish everyone? Would be daft.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It’s times like these you wish you could go out and shoot people or the police do it. 

Bit harsh :D 

Drones with megaphones and sweary operators first, perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It’s times like these you wish you could go out and shoot people or the police do it. Idiots the lot of em’ 

They’ve been doing that in the Philippines, but it’s not gone down too well. 

Wuhan is opening up its lockdown after two and a half months but it sounds like their version of ‘opening up’ is more restrictive than western countries lockdowns are. 

What you’ve seen happen today is the ‘exit door’ open to allow thousands of people who have been trapped in Wuhan for 76 days to finally go home.

Life for residents of Wuhan is still more restricted than UK’s so-called lockdown. Each district is controlled by its own local authority so it’s not entirely uniform but the basics are the same.

To leave the community residence you need a green health code via an app on your phone. This is tied to your Chinese ID card and logs who you are and where you are. Your temperature is also taken.

To use the limited public transport you also need to log in and out using the app. Foreigners don’t have an ID card so they can’t use it.

Anyone returning to work also needs a special certificate verifying that the business has been given permission to restart. Otherwise you’re expected to return to your home within two hours.

Restaurants, cafes, stores, anywhere that people might gather are still closed. I can get to the supermarket five minutes walk from my apartment block, that’s all.

One hour a day exercise? No way.

So nobody should be mistaken that life in Wuhan is back to normal. And people in the UK need to think about what lockdown really means

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/08/coronavirus-live-news-us-trump-threatens-who-funding-uk-boris-johnson-global-cases-latest-updates

22 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I do have sympathy for people who live in a flat or an apartment without their own outside space, more so if they have children, as staying in especially when really nice weather outside is not going to be easy. I think is easy for people like me with a garden/decent outside space to spend time in to persecute others going out. Clearly though not all those going out and swanning

Exactly this. Like you, we're lucky - decent garden, relatively low population density and rural walks accessible on foot from our door. If you live in a high density city centre type area, with (say) a small park nearby, what are you going to do? 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Wuhan is opening up its lockdown after two and a half months but it sounds like their version of ‘opening up’ is more restrictive than western countries lockdowns are. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/08/coronavirus-live-news-us-trump-threatens-who-funding-uk-boris-johnson-global-cases-latest-updates

Our lock down isn’t really a lock down, we all call it that but even the government haven’t phrased it that way. In a way I’m pretty glad that don’t have the same level of controls as the Chinese. Having your movements tracked   through ID cards and apps, and drones taking temperatures all seems a bit too dystopian for my liking. 

• Like 1

We Live in a flat in a private block, we have a grass area outside that is communal which nobody uses. we have been very sensible throughout all of this in regards to once out per day and trying to just do 1 big shop (not going mad on soaps and toilet roll and thinking of others).

My question is would we be allowed to have a little BBQ outside just the 2 of us on the grass area. Plan is get a disposable BBQ, cook a couple of burgers and have a beer. We wouldnt be mixing and would keep well away from anyone else. Was in isolation in hospital before all of this started so now approaching week 4 of not seeing anyone and im starting to go a little crazy

3 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I am totally convinced the UK Government has done very well in dynamic and ever changing environment.

I don't think the UK could have chosen a better person to lead the country through this, no matter if your politics, Brexit vies or if you just don't like the bloke.

I suspect even some Labour MP's would agree.  Just my view from what I have seen over the last month or so.  I watch news from Europe / NL / and all over the world constantly and sometimes you don't know what you have.  I have nothing to gain from  this view (I havent lived in the UK since 2000 but honestly,  right man,  right time.  If either of these things are not in place as history as showed us,  people will die and we,  as a nation might lose (the Uk),  that just can't happen).  Almost all countries in the world would swap IMO at the moment (if he was 100% fit of course :-))

(I say "we" as I still include myself as English and always will.  The Dutch don't do this)

+ The medical people the UK have are class.  Compared to the other countries.  Amazing. Witty and the other bloke and the bird.

I needed a good laugh today. Thanks 😬

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It’s times like these you wish you could go out and shoot people or the police do it. Idiots the lot of em’ 

A friend of mine in South Africa messaged me the other day, he said “current situation of Corona virus in SA, 3 deaths from the virus, 3 deaths from the police beating people to death for breaking the rules”. 

3 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

We Live in a flat in a private block, we have a grass area outside that is communal which nobody uses. we have been very sensible throughout all of this in regards to once out per day and trying to just do 1 big shop (not going mad on soaps and toilet roll and thinking of others).

My question is would we be allowed to have a little BBQ outside just the 2 of us on the grass area. Plan is get a disposable BBQ, cook a couple of burgers and have a beer. We wouldnt be mixing and would keep well away from anyone else. Was in isolation in hospital before all of this started so now approaching week 4 of not seeing anyone and im starting to go a little crazy

It's a tricky answer, I think.

Would two people from the same household doing something in a private (though shared) outdoor space be against the regulations? No, I don't think so.

Is there a potential for problems to arise? Yes. Though you say that nobody uses the area, could you guarantee that nobody would use it when you are using it such that no 'gathering' would occur? If no, e.g. someone else from one of the other flats would come outside, too, and you'd be unable to keep to distancing, &c. then you would, I guess, be in danger of creating some sort of gathering.

And on a point that I mentioned previously to HV, I think you might want to consider where it could lead. Yes, no one may use it now but if you go out and have a BBQ tonight then others might think that's a good idea and be doing that tomorrow lunchtime and night and the next day and perhaps you might get in to a situation where either the space is too crowded or issues arise with some sort of de facto first come takes priority assertion of ownership of the area.

If it's a smallish block, you know your neighbours and can check with them then it might be worth doing so in advance. You could all come to some sort of rota arrangement or at least some sensible guide as to how you each use the area (all agree not to be out there for too long & so on).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I do Nazi a problem with things like this 👍

I’d love it if they posted the reports on social media. Big thank you to Sandra from 42 New Street for reporting her neighbour for having a bbq with her friends. Thanks Sandra for keeping us safe.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

A friend of mine in South Africa messaged me the other day, he said “current situation of Corona virus in SA, 3 deaths from the virus, 3 deaths from the police beating people to death for breaking the rules”. 

Don’t mess about do they. Once it starts spreading there they are ****

Â