Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, Jareth said:

I'd have thought it would happen, he is the leader of the country.

ICU isn't a hotel - it's for saving lives. I don't care who you are you only go in there if it's an emergency.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Awol said:

Life really is odd sometimes. A scholar, admirer and frequent reciter of Classical Greek literature, fervent admirer of Churchill and expecting a baby, only to be struck down by the very crisis he thought himself born to lead his country through. Instead he has the lead role in an epic tragedy. 

You couldn’t make it up. 

If he felt he was born to lead the country through this crisis it might have been an idea not to have been foolish enough to be giving it the big un a month ago about shaking the hands of those with coronavirus. You do wonder off the back of his casual attitude if that contributed to him continuing to not be cautious enough himself and getting this and also how much his attitude a month or so ago influenced others to be as casual.

The above is not to say he deserves to have become ill and I genuinely wish him well.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

One thing that will work against him would be sleep pattern.

I very much doubt he’s a bed at 10 (home by 12) rise at 7:30 sort of chap.

Those children won't make themselves will they. 

Just now, Lichfield Dean said:

ICU isn't a hotel - it's for saving lives. I don't care who you are you only go in there if it's an emergency.

I can't bear dear old Johnson, but I would hope we protected our PM better than that....

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I can't bear dear old Johnson, but I would hope we protected our PM better than that....

Well maybe, it just doesn't ring true with my experiences of how ICUs work. I'm sure he's getting the absolute best of care, I just don't really believe the 'precaution' line.

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

If he felt he was born to lead the country through this crisis it might have been an idea not to have been foolish enough to be giving it the big un a month ago about shaking the hands of those with coronavirus. You do wonder off the back of his casual, bordering on reckless attitude, if that contributed to him continuing to not be cautious enough himself and getting this and also how much his attitude a month or so ago influenced others to be as casual.

And others have said, why have Germany done so well? Well maybe it's because their leader on a personal level, having written a thesis on quantum chemistry - just understands better the level of crisis they face. 

6 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I don't really believe they'd move him to ICU as a 'precaution' - even in the best of times that's not going to happen let alone when they are snowed under like this. ICU is for when you need 24 hour monitoring and are hooked up to all the top-end lifesaving machines, and the number of beds is strictly limited - at Good Hope there are what half a dozen? Even if you're PM they surely wouldn't give you a bed there unless it's critical.

He will be priority over anyone in the hospital, believe, he is the leader of the country. If he needs a ventilator next to just in case he might need it, he'll get it!!

Can't believe few were moaning cause he may have got a test before Joe Bloggs?

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Would appear that RT were the only ones telling it straight on this story.

Funny old world.

RIA were reporting Johnson was on life support in the early hours of this morning. He’s been moved to ICU in last 2 hours, reportedly not on a ventilator yet. 

Tell enough lies... 

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

He will be priority over anyone in the hospital, believe, he is the leader of the country. If he needs a ventilator next to just in case he might need it, he'll get it!!

Can't believe few were moaning cause he may have got a test before Joe Bloggs?

There’s capacity at the moment, he is bound to have a bed reserved. If it was BoJo vs some kid, well we’d all unhook him. 

He really should have stopped and rested up when he got it.  It surely can't be good for you to keep working through it. I know he's got to project an image but this isn't working through with a bad cold is it. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So they have it twice as bad as us as we have 8 times the population, plus significantly more high density large cities. 

No, that's not right, as total population size doesn't matter in the early stages of a pandemic.

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

He really should have stopped and rested up when he got it.  It surely can't be good for you to keep working through it. I know he's got to project an image but this isn't working through with a bad cold is it. 

Yes, he absolutely should. There was a period when he was being altogether too casual about it, including - as @markavfc40 mentions above - joking about continuing to shake hands with patients who had it as he toured hospital wards. The whole government appear to have been taking the issue much much too lightly at the start of March.

(It shouldn't need saying, but obviously I wish everyone who gets ill with this disease a full recovery, no matter their politics).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The whole government appear to have been taking the issue much much too lightly at the start of March.

If he should die from this, then it will be wholly because he didn't take it seriously enough - as leader, that attitude may cost him his life, but it certainly has cost many others as well. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I guess he wasn’t to know what flavour he was getting. Prince Charles and Hancock managed to shake it off fairly quickly.

Â