Generic Virus Thread

villakram

21 minutes ago, Jareth said:

And others have said, why have Germany done so well? Well maybe it's because their leader on a personal level, having written a thesis on quantum chemistry - just understands better the level of crisis they face. 

What on earth does that have to do with it? Quantum physics isn't virology. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

If he should die from this, then it will be wholly because he didn't take it seriously enough - as leader, that attitude may cost him his life, but it certainly has cost many others as well. 

Yeah, the casual attitude was gravely mistaken and has caused real harm, and it wasn't hard to see it was going to end badly. All that bollocks spoken by government ministers about how British scientists had got a properly scientific plan, unlike those panicking Europeans.

• Like 1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Were any of us taking this seriously . I know I weren’t. Easy saying it now but I think we all thought it was going to blow over. Let’s not put blood on his hands whilst he’s fighting for his life. He was being advised by people remember, and all this is a bit new to us. 

Exactly, seeing as it wasn't his sole decision. The WHO are far more culpable than Boris in this mess. 

• Haha 1

Were any of us taking this seriously . I know I weren’t. Easy saying it now but I think we all thought it was going to blow over. Let’s not put blood on his hands whilst he’s fighting for his life. He was being advised by people remember, and all this is a bit new to us. 

Yes not time to say it’s his own fault. 

Just looked at the rules and if Johnson dies Raab can carry on while the 1922 Committee nominate candidates for a leadership contest.

If only one candidate is nominated then that person is appointed by HM as the new Prime Minister, but Raab doesn’t just get it by default.  

Do they all rally round Jeremy Hunt? A leadership election in the middle of a pandemic seems practically (if not logistically) impossible.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Just looked at the rules and if Johnson dies Raab can carry on while the 1922 Committee nominate candidates for a leadership contest.

If only one candidate is nominated then that person is appointed by HM as the new Prime Minister, but Raab doesn’t just get it by default.  

Do they all rally round Jeremy Hunt? A leadership election in the middle of a pandemic seems practically (if not logistically) impossible.

Can’t believe you are talking about this now.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

If he should die from this, then it will be wholly because he didn't take it seriously enough - as leader, that attitude may cost him his life, but it certainly has cost many others as well. 

I dont think its entirely his fault.  Many people are still not taking it seriously.

I think whats more a valid point is he should not be working while he is ill. That isnt going to help his condition at all

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Can't help it - that 13 year old lad who died alone, and got buried alone. He got infected about  the same time Cummings was blithely writing off pensioners as the only possible victims, when Cheltenham was allowed to happen - many folks questioned it at the time and they are not PM. The government, headed by Johnson, were too casual. 

This really is alien to this country, or at least it has been for a while. I imagine it’s extremely difficult to handle and do what’s best, or predict to do what’s best. 4 weeks ago is a long time . It’s a massive shit storm. 

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

Surely they would just have Raab be caretaker for a few weeks/months until the lockdown is over? It's not like the government is doing anything unrelated to this anyway, and as you say it would be logistically impossible.

12 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Why though. He didnt blow over at any point before it even got to us?

• Like 1

Does boris have any undelying health issues that could make this deadly for him?

I remember may was a type 2 diabetic but as far as i am aware boris doesnt have any? If he didnt pull through with no undelying problems that is very serious in my opinion

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Can’t believe you are talking about this now.

Sorry mate, the data says he’s got a 50/50 chance. Of course I want him to survive, but given that’s a coin toss I’d like to know how we go forward, given the situation. 

• Like 3

This really is alien to this country, or at least it has been for a while. I imagine it’s extremely difficult to handle and do what’s best, or predict to do what’s best. 4 weeks ago is a long time . It’s a massive shit storm. 

But we need our leaders to do what's best, that is why we elected them. The buck stops with the PM and his team IMHO. It might sound heartless given he's in intensive care, but who else are we looking at here when the strategy doesn't work? I'd have more sympathy if it wasn't deflection after deflection, attempts to blame others or spinning every single moment. Wrong leaders for these times, so yes, certainly unlucky on that one, he could never have imagined this would happen.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Does boris have any undelying health issues that could make this deadly for him?

I remember may was a type 2 diabetic but as far as i am aware boris doesnt have any? If he didnt pull through with no undelying problems that is very serious in my opinion

He is a keen cyclist, so not the most unheathy. Although not cycled since becoming prime Minister I don't think.

Â