Generic Virus Thread

villakram

It feels like having set up a scenario in principle yesterday that the press conference today is based around an assumption that isn't actually happening out on the streets of the country. They're talking about a UK with nobody on the streets and it just isn't like that. it's incredibly worrying when the policy makers on the control of this start to become detached from its reality.

Nothing that's been put in place so far actually seems to be working - the 80% wage isn't available yet and isn't clear, the "lockdown" has so many exceptions that it isn't a lockdown, we're still short on testing and on PPE and there's still no real consequence demonstrated on behaviours.

I'm increasingly worried.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jareth said:

If this were true, it would obviously be very good news, but at this stage it is an *extremely* speculative claim that is orders of magnitude higher than everyone else's estimates, so people should treat it with a lot of skpeticism (though I look forward to them presenting further data in the weeks ahead).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

the 80% wage isn't available yet and isn't clear

I suspect thats why I'm on reduced hours, they don't want to lose me (or any of my colleagues) but they really can't afford to pay me in full, they could if the 80% was in and accessible, I'm just hoping for clarity on that in the next 4 weeks

I'm also not holding my breath

Had conference call this morning. Our company even though reminding us they will lose £45 million a month is closing fully, so now I dont even have home work to do. That being we have been told to apply via Email for the 80% salary and say where possible they will make up the 20%. I think they are hoping 3 weeks max. All the relevant try and keep everyone in a job blah blah, blah, but I think this is as good as it gets.

32 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Are these tests actually going to be a thing? Would be interesting to see how they decide who they test and who they don't. 

Yep, millions have been purchased, so they said, a few days ago - apparantly very easy and quick to test if you have had it, will inform government policy going forwards. 

Another 743 dead in Italy in the last 24h. So after dropping a bit in the last 2 days it goes up quite a bit again today.

More than 6800 dead in Italy now.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

I suspect thats why I'm on reduced hours, they don't want to lose me (or any of my colleagues) but they really can't afford to pay me in full, they could if the 80% was in and accessible, I'm just hoping for clarity on that in the next 4 weeks

I'm also not holding my breath

Been looking at it  for our company .. it’s a bit of a minefield .
At face value it appears that you have to put your staff at risk of redundancy in order to qualify for the grant , if you just decide to pay them even on reduced  hours then you won’t  get the grant money. 
we are now in effect a company with zero income for the foreseeable future . We’ve told everyone to work from home in so much as monitoring emails , handling queries and keeping things ticking over until we can return to work , but the implication from that is we then have to pay them (obviously ) but with zero income we are looking at a lose of around £250k over the next 3 months ...however , if we notify them they are at risk of redundancy we should be eligible to furlough them and pay them 80% , the difficulty of course is that we  then have to instruct them not to work , so no client management or monitoring of emails and nobody to sign off the outstanding claims and invoices for people we owe money to etc  ... so pay them and go bankrupt or don’t pay them and have potentially nothing to come back to 

thankfully we have an employment law firm that we use and they are on the case trying to work it all out for us but short term it’s very tricky ... and that’s before we get to the 400 or so “workers” that carry out projects for us on an ad hoc basis...they are kind of self employed but we pay them via PAYE but they aren’t our staff and work for maybe half a dozen companies ) currently a lot of these people are ringing asking when they will get their 80% and thinking that we are profiteering on the back of them when we try to explain we don’t know yet if they are eligible and there isn’t actually any money yet 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

Thanks for all the best wishes guys. I really appreciate it and it's uplifting to see such warmth from a load of people I have never met at a time when I'm isolated in a bedroom. My 6 year old son keeps popping up the stairs to ask how I am and if it's gone yet. It's a grounding experience. 

Keep strong fella, keep posting we will all be here to listen and chat! 

• Like 2

With regards to the testing, I really hope I get one soon after this. 

I spoke with my director today. He said he will pay me for the week I should be off but if I take any longer it is SSP. I asked about the 80% thing from the government and he said that would only kick in if the government forces the business to close. He said then he could put all jobs at risk and claim the 80% for everyone. Anyone know if that's true? 

I was also told by my GP that I may well get one of those shielding notifications this week which would make me stay at home for 12 weeks. Anyone know if you still have to do that if you've already had the virus? Matt Hancock said that people should be immune once they've had it, hence I want a kit after this so I can be cleared to work again and not take 12 weeks off on SSP. 

One other thing bothers me. They keep going on about the crowded tubes. What about the rest of the commuters around the country going to and from work on buses and trains? Do they not get any consideration? 

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Been looking at it  for our company .. it’s a bit of a minefield .
At face value it appears that you have to put your staff at risk of redundancy in order to qualify for the grant , if you just decide to pay them even on reduced  hours then you won’t  get the grant money. 
we are now in effect a company with zero income for the foreseeable future . We’ve told everyone to work from home in so much as monitoring emails , handling queries and keeping things ticking over until we can return to work , but the implication from that is we then have to pay them (obviously ) but with zero income we are looking at a lose of around £250k over the next 3 months ...however , if we notify them they are at risk of redundancy we should be eligible to furlough them and pay them 80% , the difficulty of course is that we  then have to instruct them not to work , so no client management or monitoring of emails and nobody to sign off the outstanding claims and invoices for people we owe money to etc  ... so pay them and go bankrupt or don’t pay them and have potentially nothing to come back to 

thankfully we have an employment law firm that we use and they are on the case trying to work it all out for us but short term it’s very tricky ... and that’s before we get to the 400 or so “workers” that carry out projects for us on an ad hoc basis...they are kind of self employed but we pay them via PAYE but they aren’t our staff and work for maybe half a dozen companies ) currently a lot of these people are ringing asking when they will get their 80% and thinking that we are profiteering on the back of them when we try to explain we don’t know yet if they are eligible and there isn’t actually any money yet 

I dont think the portal is even up yet is it? My uncle is hoping it's up soon otherwise he is either having to lay off or shut completely for weeks on end!

Our company has deferred everybody’s annual merit pay rise. I’m sure they’d have deferred our bonuses if this had happened a few weeks earlier. 

That’s not a complaint. I totally understand it and still consider myself very lucky to still have a job. I think most people will think the same. 

• Like 2

Â