Generic Virus Thread

villakram

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Our company has deferred everybody’s annual merit pay rise. I’m sure they’d have deferred our bonuses if this had happened a few weeks earlier. 

That’s not a complaint. I totally understand it and still consider myself very lucky to still have a job. I think most people will think the same. 

Our company is due to post record profits next month, and some people have been complaining about this stopping our bonus, and I just have no words. We're not letting a single person go or furloughing anyone, the plan is to keep powering through with everyone working from home so when this is over we're in a solid position. I'd be delighted if all profits were to be put to the side to ensure the company can keep running like this for as long as possible, but some people can't see past the short term payday.

• Like 3

In our daily touch point with our boss today he wanted everyone to say hi on the webcam. One lady wouldn’t do it, he asked why, she said she has a little sticker over the camera and if she took it off her hand would be all sticky :lol: 

Worst excuse ever 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I understand the sentiment, and I reckon if you trawl back through the thread far enough you’d see similar from me back at the start.

But it does have the feel of saying we will have a price point at which the sick and the elderly, our parents and our vulnerable will be expendable.

Would we wage a defensive war against Russia, up to a certain budget? 

What happens when we allow 300,000 of the least productive die and then the bloody thing mutates and come after middle aged blokes with a BMI of 30? That’s me get the hero’s send off as I’ve hit the price point?

If it mutates and starts seriously affecting large numbers of all age ranges I’d suggest we, as a species, will be on a ticking clock toward inevitability, if I understand it correctly this virus lies within the same group we’ve been unable to cure since day dot so how we’re suddenly going to come by a cure now is beyond me.

Got out of my pyjamas/relaxy pants today. Shaved, showered, brushed my teeth. I was planning not to do any of that until April. My wife had called me a trampy word removed. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I imagine you'll be extremely relieved to hear that nobody, anywhere in the world, has ever suggested that you should be 'house-bound for the rest of your life'. So that's a big weight off!

I know, and it was exaggeration on my part of course, appreciate being flippant at the moment isn’t the best course of action.

But, let’s say we are ‘locked down’ now for the next 3 months, and then near to the end of that it’s not gotten much better and we do so again for another 3 months, and then again, and again........at which point does that preventative measure become more damaging than the thing we’re trying to avoid? 

It’s only a few days in and in many respects it’s not even really affected me yet, I’m not one to leave the house too often anyway if I can help it but the worst case thought of this not going away any time soon and everyone on lock down (with the police having powers to stop you) just seems utterly unreal to me and in the medium-to-long term, totally infeasible.

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Everyone is vulnerable to the virus. That is why it sppreads so successfully (for it, obviously).

Vulnerable to catching it yes, but being vulnerable to the affects of it in a significant way seems largely reserved (currently) for the old and infirm, ie the same people who are more susceptible to this stuff as standard because of weakened/damaged immune systems.

The major danger I guess is it mutates, at which point we’re probably totally and utterly f****d.

Universal Credit update - we usually get around 4k calls for new claims per day. Yesterday we had 96k. The workforce simply can not cope with the numbers - and I'm not talking about UC Service Centre and JCP staff, I'm talking about DWP staff as a whole, which is around 111k. Not all of those can be spared for UC work, there are other 'tier 1' jobs that need maintaining, so...I do wonder who is going to do all the work required. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Vulnerable to catching it yes, but being vulnerable to the affects of it in a significant way seems largely reserved (currently) for the old and infirm, ie the same people who are more susceptible to this stuff as standard because of weakened/damaged immune systems.

Add in exposure to it and so on.

Mortality rates increase with those risk factors but that doesn't mean that a few people who otherwise appear well and who would otherwise have had long, functioning lives might not fall ill and die - just that their risk of doing so is much lower than many others.

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The major danger I guess is it mutates, at which point we’re probably totally and utterly f****d.

Maybe, maybe not.

Perhaps if we've tried to slow down the first wave so as not to overwhelm the health services and kill off too many of the most vulnerable then, should it mutate, we might be in a better state to deal with it.

Any society that is willing to even consider binning its elderly and more vulnerable members just so the majority can get on with their lives and continue to enjoy the standard of life they have had isn't a society worthy of the name.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, hogso said:

Universal Credit update - we usually get around 4k calls for new claims per day. Yesterday we had 96k. The workforce simply can not cope with the numbers - and I'm not talking about UC Service Centre and JCP staff, I'm talking about DWP staff as a whole, which is around 111k. Not all of those can be spared for UC work, there are other 'tier 1' jobs that need maintaining, so...I do wonder who is going to do all the work required. 

It is going to be a nightmare and I wonder whether this is feeding back in to their apparent change of emphasis in today's press conference.

43 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Been looking at it  for our company .. it’s a bit of a minefield .
At face value it appears that you have to put your staff at risk of redundancy in order to qualify for the grant , if you just decide to pay them even on reduced  hours then you won’t  get the grant money. 
we are now in effect a company with zero income for the foreseeable future . We’ve told everyone to work from home in so much as monitoring emails , handling queries and keeping things ticking over until we can return to work , but the implication from that is we then have to pay them (obviously ) but with zero income we are looking at a lose of around £250k over the next 3 months ...however , if we notify them they are at risk of redundancy we should be eligible to furlough them and pay them 80% , the difficulty of course is that we  then have to instruct them not to work , so no client management or monitoring of emails and nobody to sign off the outstanding claims and invoices for people we owe money to etc  ... so pay them and go bankrupt or don’t pay them and have potentially nothing to come back to 

thankfully we have an employment law firm that we use and they are on the case trying to work it all out for us but short term it’s very tricky ... and that’s before we get to the 400 or so “workers” that carry out projects for us on an ad hoc basis...they are kind of self employed but we pay them via PAYE but they aren’t our staff and work for maybe half a dozen companies ) currently a lot of these people are ringing asking when they will get their 80% and thinking that we are profiteering on the back of them when we try to explain we don’t know yet if they are eligible and there isn’t actually any money yet 

Tony, do me a favour and keep me up to date with the progress of your legal investigations and if I find anything out I'll do likewise

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I am not sure how true this is. I think elderly people with underlying health conditions are more likely to die from it even if put on a ventilator. I am getting the impression, and I could be and I hope I am way wide of the mark, that a lot of younger people, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's are also getting the severest symptoms, needing ventilation and then recovering. I think the worry is that when we get to pretty much max capacity then you will see a lot more younger people die as they can't get ICU care/put on a ventilator as there isn't one to put them on.

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Tony, do me a favour and keep me up to date with the progress of your legal investigations and if I find anything out I'll do likewise

Will do , we pay  a proper employment law company so don’t be alarmed it’s advice from a shandy drinking bloke off the Internet you’re receiving  :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Will do , we pay  a proper employment law company so don’t be alarmed it’s advice from a shandy drinking bloke off the Internet you’re receiving  :) 

So do we tbh but there is no definitive answer as far as we can tell so far

Â