Generic Virus Thread

villakram

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So, the story goes that the effect on people who get it can vary from no symptoms whatsoever (I've seen some accounts that suggest it could be up to 50%), through mild symptoms, to feeling pretty awful, right to life-threatening. And interestingly, this seems to be true across age groups. Which begs the question: why? What are the factors that cause this variance? Strength of immune system? I was under the impression that we have zero immunity against this strain. Presumably someone's investigating this... 

Blood type has been speculated, as a Chinese 'study' found that A blood type people seemed at greater risk. And theres precedent for blood type affecting how viruses afflict people. But the study wasn't large enough or carried out with full peer review etc to hold much weight. 

The affect on men outweighing women seems to relate to immune response. Men's immune response is stronger than women's generally, which is good for getting you back to health in most cases, but bad if an illness is bad enough to stress the body the point of failure. Hence men generally having higher fatality rates from many infections.

• Like 1

Great touch here from Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott 👍:clap:

Read all about it

Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott have announced a free concert for NHS workers.

The performance by the pair, who were previously members of The Beautiful South, will take place at the Motorpoint Arena in Nottingham.

Heaton said: “The coronavirus pandemic should remind everyone, and let no one forget, that our National Health Service is the most brilliant and significant institution in our lives

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I dropped letters round to 3 of my elderly neighbours on Sunday just saying if they need anything to give us a call. I haven't heard a thing from two of them but in the last 2 days the one has had me getting chicken, then eggs (at least I now know which one comes first) and sent me to the shop to top up her card for her mobile phone. 

I am starting to wonder if the coronavirus doesn't get me exhaustion will as I am having to look after my mom (elderly) and brother (health issues) and do all their shopping, one neighbour (so far) and I even though I am now basing myself from home my job as a highways maintenance engineer means with quieter roads we are seeing it as an ideal time to get loads of works done, as long as we can keep getting the materials and operatives, so I am snowed under. My wife is also a nurse in the NHS so can't put on her too much,

Having said all that though if I am hoping for sympathy I am probably coming to the wrong place as I am still finding plenty of time to come on here throughout the day 😀

You’re  a very good person 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Great touch here from Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott 👍:clap:

Read all about it

Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott have announced a free concert for NHS workers.

The performance by the pair, who were previously members of The Beautiful South, will take place at the Motorpoint Arena in Nottingham.

Heaton said: “The coronavirus pandemic should remind everyone, and let no one forget, that our National Health Service is the most brilliant and significant institution in our lives

Is this a joke?

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Is this a joke?

7 minutes ago, imavillan said:

why, do you think it is?

Looks serious to me

fair play to them i say......

Edited by imavillan
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Awol said:

Don’t know this Journo but with 195k followers I’d hope he’s a gen’ source:

It is what I have been thinking is happening that younger people are getting very ill through this but as long as they can get access to ventilators then they should recover. It is when younger people who get seriously ill from this can't get onto a ventilator, due to the amount of people needing one, that we will see a lot more younger people die.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Awol said:

Don’t know this Journo but with 195k followers I’d hope he’s a gen’ source:

He's a legit journo, usually covers football in Italy thouigh I think...

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

I know people dont trust China stats, but South Korea and Japan are reporting less than 100 new cases a day which I think is a good indicator that they are turning the tide over in Asia.

Neither are as impressive as North Korea with zero reported cases still

• Haha 1

Â