Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I was thinking about the support for the self employed (as I am in that group).

Wouldn't the easiest thing be to ease off on the tax? Rather than throwing money at the problem and "bailing out" individual people, we are now at the end of the financial year. Maybe do a discount rate to tax so that it's "fair" on everyone and is relative to their income from trade?

I.e. a 20% or 25% tax discount for the year?

That would be a massive help to my family and does not require much government input in terms of logistics behind it.

Still think that repaying you the tax you paid last year would probably be the easiest way for the vast majority of cases.

Hmm. Older people more at risk, blood group A more at risk, men more at risk. 

As a 66 year old type A male that doesn't cheer me. 

OTOH, there have been mentions of people dying of pneumonia. So is it the case that COVID-19 triggers pneumonia, and that's what kills you? And is that different from - for want of a more scientific term - 'normal' pneumonia? Because - like a lot of over 60s - I've been innoculated against pneumonia. Is that irrelevant? 

Whats this now from the Express?

CHINA has just reported a fresh outbreak of a pathogen that is more fatal than coronavirus after a man died from Hantavirus, sparking fears he may have spread the disease to many others.

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

OTOH, there have been mentions of people dying of pneumonia. So is it the case that COVID-19 triggers pneumonia, and that's what kills you? And is that different from - for want of a more scientific term - 'normal' pneumonia? Because - like a lot of over 60s - I've been innoculated against pneumonia. Is that irrelevant? 

My understanding is that as it's a viral pneumonia there's nothing they can do other than keep your lungs working while your immune system tries to fight it off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

pneumonia vaccine is against a specific bacteria that causes pneumonia but not against getting it itself, so yes unfortunately irrelevant. stay safe!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, av1 said:

Whats this now from the Express?

When ‘the three squeaks’ is a delicacy, bad things are gonna happen.  How about we send them Gordon Ramsay on permanent loan  and they stop sending us lung AIDS. Fair deal? 

7 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

A little update on this...

yesterday: its going to take approx 6 weeks to get everyone working from home, its ok though we are weeks behind all the other insurers because we are the biggest insurance company in the country. We are waiting on RSA Tokens, they were ordered weeks ago and...

RSA tokens? Haven't seen one of those in about fifteen years....

• Like 1

Some pretty grim videos in the article as well.

Staff frantically wave us out of the way, pushing gurneys carrying men and women on mobile respirators - it's not chaos, but it is hectic.

They rush past wards already rammed with beds all filled with people in terrible distress - gasping for air, clutching at their chests and at tubes pumping oxygen into their oxygen-starved lungs

Masked, gloved and in a hazmat suit, my team and I are led through corridors full of gasping people who look terribly ill.

I ask what ward I am in.

"This isn't really a ward, it's a waiting room, we just have to use every bit of space," my guide, Vanna Toninelli, head of the hospital press office tells me.

The medical teams are fighting a war here and they are losing.

It looks like an intensive care unit (ICU), but it is actually just an emergency arrivals ward. The ICU is full. The people being treated are new arrivals, but they look far worse than that.

Anywhere else in the world they would be intensive care cases but here, to qualify, you are actually on the point of death, not just gravely ill.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-they-call-it-the-apocalypse-inside-italys-hardest-hit-hospital-11960597

16 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Now was I being out of order by calling them out on their bullshit or do they need to be told how people are feeling?

Nope. Not at all. They’re being GradeA idiots. You are absolutely right to call them out on it. Not sure it’ll do your career prospects much good in the long run though. 

Andy Burnham on newsnight just demolished the government’s current position on who should be going into work and who shouldn’t. 

It’s all pretty farcical right now. They do seem quite happy to maintain a level of spreading while giving the impression that we’re in a more general lockdown. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Child has died in Los Angeles from coronavirus.

New York are projecting they need 140,000 hospital beds and 30,000 ventilators and they currently have 400. 

Trump is more concerned with getting the country back to work within next 2 weeks and seeing churches full on Easter Sunday. The way he has dealt with this will be the finish of him surely.

Unfortunately what Trump does and what he says are very different, and most of his supporters believe what he says. He'll come out of this better than ever. As will Johnson.

30 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Now was I being out of order by calling them out on their bullshit or do they need to be told how people are feeling?

Not to my mind, no.

And as for the 'discuss it in a couple of months'/don't be negative bollocks - that would really get my goat.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The virus causes viral pneumonia in bad cases. Often bilateral pneumonia which leaves your lungs buggered until your body can fight it off. And unfortunately viral pneumonoa often leads to a secondary infection of bacterial pneumonia, which is more treatable, but it's hitting you just as the body is beginning to fight off the viral pneumonia that has already hit you extremely hard.

Treating the bad cases of this seems to basically boil down to try to keep you alive while you fight the virus off and hope you don't get the secondary infection. And if you do repeat the first stage but with added antibiotics. And by keep you alive, in the worst cases that's keep the respiratory system going artificially while your lungs are basically ****.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Still think that repaying you the tax you paid last year would probably be the easiest way for the vast majority of cases.

I wouldn't mind it (I'd be better off then in my scenario) but that would surely be a harder and more expensive fix for the government...

Let's see.

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

I wouldn't mind it (I'd be better off then in my scenario) but that would surely be a harder and more expensive fix for the government...

Let's see.

Problem is, until they solve this, some self employed people will still go out to make their living, I know someone who is doing this and showing some mild symptoms.

Despite telling them off and calling them irresponsible, he's continuing with his employment to help put food on the table. Government really need to get to grips with this, as does he.

Â