Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I've been told today that I've got it.

I'm really ill and weak. It all started around 7pm last night when I suddenly became colder than I've ever felt in my life. I was shivering and shaking uncontrollably and no matter how many layers I put on, together with the duvet and blankets, I simply couldn't get warm. From 7pm until just after 11pm last night I was like this and lost all my energy. 

I went to bed last night and just couldn't sleep because of the aching and pains all over me. I took paracetamol but they did nothing. Then, halfway through the night, it flipped from feeling cold to sweating profusely. I couldn't cool down no matter how I tried. I was awake all night and talking jibberish according to my girlfriend who could hear from the next room. I've had a really nasty headache since around 4am and despite taking paracetamol it will not go. I've also lost my taste and appetite. I also feel nauseous. 

I've been told to stay in one room alone for 7 days and my son and girlfriend have to isolate for 14 days. 

I called 111 but simy couldn't get through and it kept cutting off. I went online to do the symptom checker and it simply says to call 111 - waste of time. I called my GP and got a consultancy and he diagnosed me as Covid-19. He pretty much said to take paracetamol and drink lots of fluids and do not mix with anyone until after 7 days. After 7 days, I can hug my son and girlfriend again. He also said that with my pre existing lung condition - lifelong Asthma sufferer plus weakened lung from a previous blood clot - I need to hope and pray that I don't get the pneumonia part of the virus as it would be tough for me to fight it. He said that's the part that is killing people. I was advised not to go to hospital unless I'm fighting for breath and cannot speak a sentence as they won't do anything for me because they are concentrating on those that are life-threatened. Just got to hope I stay snot free now. 

bugger. good luck dude. got fingers crossed for you. get well soon

As horrible as it makes you feel the fever is actually the body's way of fighting the virus. 

As long as it doesn't get completely out of hand the fever is actually "good" for you as long as you re-hydrate. And taking antipyretic medicine might mask symptoms rather than help.

Also remember to NOT use Ibuprofen

• Like 1

Hancock is very clear about the rules, he's been clear on agreeing with two or three interpretations of them already in this press conference. He reminds me of that bloke in the Fast Show who used to agree with everybody.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yes I would, given a choice between being house bound for the rest of my life or dying -I’m sorry, but for me personally that would be some food for thought.

I imagine you'll be extremely relieved to hear that nobody, anywhere in the world, has ever suggested that you should be 'house-bound for the rest of your life'. So that's a big weight off!

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Although very sceptical about this, it would fit in with one or two on here who thought that they had the symptoms a while back. I think @limpid was one of those. Probably alot more out there too. I've spoken to a few people who said they'd had symptoms like it during February. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

And the clear messaging was going so well. They nearly managed a whole day.

Yep, I'm watching the deputy CMO who appears to be parrotting Hancock rather than giving clear medical advice.

Watch loads of places open back up tomorrow and watch people continue to ignore yesterday's recommendations (widely) on the back of this.

It's astonishing.

I wonder whether we ought to read anything in to the absence of Whitty from the last few briefings.

Edit:

'Test your strength of feeling' and 'make your mind up and stick with it' are the two messages of the day.

We appear to be Trump's USA only not quite as brazen.

Edited by snowychap

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Hancock is very clear about the rules, he's been clear on agreeing with two or three interpretations of them already in this press conference. He reminds me of that bloke in the Fast Show who used to agree with everybody.

I don't know if it is incompetence or he/the government as a whole are being deliberately non committal when answering questions. 

• Haha 1

The language from this press conference is so wooly:

"The principle is" [that you should do x] "wherever possible."

Not

"You cannot do this."

It's not instructional, it's not a rule, no matter how much they say so - they're delivering advice.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

the government as a whole are being deliberately non committal when answering questions

Pretty much this.

I think the comic article from Australia I posted this morning has the UK to a T.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

Although very sceptical about this, it would fit in with one or two on here who thought that they had the symptoms a while back. I think @limpid was one of those. Probably alot more out there too. I've spoken to a few people who said they'd had symptoms like it during February. 

We had something here, well my wife did in Feb and she never gets anything like this, which we thought was flu - it absolutely still could have been, but at the time we wondered what it was. God knows which scientists to believe - but that said, results of the new tests to show antibodies in those who have had it - will confirm or reject this new theory. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

We had something here, well my wife did in Feb and she never gets anything like this, which we thought was flu - it absolutely still could have been, but at the time we wondered what it was. God knows which scientists to believe - but that said, results of the new tests to show antibodies in those who have had it - will confirm or reject this new theory. 

Are these tests actually going to be a thing? Would be interesting to see how they decide who they test and who they don't. 

41 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well if this carries on at the rate it's going there won't be many vulnerable people left to worry about will there?

Everyone is vulnerable to the virus. That is why it sppreads so successfully (for it, obviously).

Â