Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 hours ago, Kingman said:

If it was up to the doctors they'd shut down the entire world!

'America will, again, and soon, be open for business. Very soon,' President Trump said at the daily White House coronavirus briefing Monday. 'A lot sooner than three or four months that somebody was suggesting. Lot sooner. We cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself. We're not going to let the cure be worse than the problem.'

President Trump complained about the caution brought by health care professionals, 'I was telling them, if it was up to the doctors, they would keep it shut down, they would say "let's shut down the entire world."' You can't do that,' he said.

Trump is basing his re-election effort on a strong U.S. economy. 

Daily Mail

26328830-8144845-image-a-6_1585029969034

In the US they are approaching 50 thousands new cases and by the end of the week they probably overtake China.

I think Trump is going to have very special place in history of the United States. 

He would be advised to stay away from Texas when the dust settles, but I'm not sure Boris is going to get out of this without criticism, ironically it will be the running down of the NHS over 10 years that will be his biggest burden .

19 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I am not sure how true this is. I think elderly people with underlying health conditions are more likely to die from it even if put on a ventilator. I am getting the impression, and I could be and I hope I am way wide of the mark, that a lot of younger people, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's are also getting the severest symptoms, needing ventilation and then recovering. I think the worry is that when we get to pretty much max capacity then you will see a lot more younger people die as they can't get ICU care/put on a ventilator as there isn't one to put them on.

My GP told me today that I should not go to hospital unless I'm fighting for breath. I asked about an ambulance in such instance - I could get oxygen on the way - he told me I'd probably die before an ambulance got to me so to get someone to drive me. He said there'll come a time, if this continues, when they will leave people to die and choose to save those who face the best quality of life after recovery. 

Imagine the guilt people will feel if they are told that the 75 year old COPD sufferer next door will be left to die so they can live. In such a modern world how did we get to this? They waste money on space exploration when they could be spending it protecting our own planet and its inhabitants. That's how stupid they are. 

• Sad 1

The retail side of our business has really dropped off today as you'd imagine, so my company has arranged for the lads to go and support another division within to he business - Hospital maintenance. 

As most of my lads think we shouldn't be going out at all, I can't see them taking the news well. In fact I think most will flat out refuse. 

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Not really sure if this is the time for politican infighting.

I wouldn't imagine they'd be pointing the finger at the London Mayor for having to operate a reduced service due to a third of staff being off if he was a Tory. I am not really sure what Khan is supposed to do here or what he has done wrong.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

My GP told me today that I should not go to hospital unless I'm fighting for breath. I asked about an ambulance in such instance - I could get oxygen on the way - he told me I'd probably die before an ambulance got to me so to get someone to drive me. He said there'll come a time, if this continues, when they will leave people to die and choose to save those who face the best quality of life after recovery. 

Imagine the guilt people will feel if they are told that the 75 year old COPD sufferer next door will be left to die so they can live. In such a modern world how did we get to this? They waste money on space exploration when they could be spending it protecting our own planet and its inhabitants. That's how stupid they are. 

Crikey mate your GP was brutally honest wasn't he. Personally I wouldn't wait until you are fighting for breath regardless of him telling you.

3 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I've been told today that I've got it.

I'm really ill and weak. It all started around 7pm last night when I suddenly became colder than I've ever felt in my life. I was shivering and shaking uncontrollably and no matter how many layers I put on, together with the duvet and blankets, I simply couldn't get warm. From 7pm until just after 11pm last night I was like this and lost all my energy. 

I went to bed last night and just couldn't sleep because of the aching and pains all over me. I took paracetamol but they did nothing. Then, halfway through the night, it flipped from feeling cold to sweating profusely. I couldn't cool down no matter how I tried. I was awake all night and talking jibberish according to my girlfriend who could hear from the next room. I've had a really nasty headache since around 4am and despite taking paracetamol it will not go. I've also lost my taste and appetite. I also feel nauseous. 

I've been told to stay in one room alone for 7 days and my son and girlfriend have to isolate for 14 days. 

I called 111 but simy couldn't get through and it kept cutting off. I went online to do the symptom checker and it simply says to call 111 - waste of time. I called my GP and got a consultancy and he diagnosed me as Covid-19. He pretty much said to take paracetamol and drink lots of fluids and do not mix with anyone until after 7 days. After 7 days, I can hug my son and girlfriend again. He also said that with my pre existing lung condition - lifelong Asthma sufferer plus weakened lung from a previous blood clot - I need to hope and pray that I don't get the pneumonia part of the virus as it would be tough for me to fight it. He said that's the part that is killing people. I was advised not to go to hospital unless I'm fighting for breath and cannot speak a sentence as they won't do anything for me because they are concentrating on those that are life-threatened. Just got to hope I stay snot free now. 

Hang on in there mate - we are all behind you 👍

Good luck @Villarocker please keep us updated with how you’re getting on. 

The army has delivered 7.5 million pieces of PPE to frontline health workers in 24 hrs, now on to setting up the 4000 bed hospital (not 500) in London. 

Boffins at Oxford uni seem to have knocked up a working basic ventilator prototype that can be mass produced quickly, and 35,000 extra staff (retired returnees and student nurses) are surging into the NHS system.

Despite scrotes burning supermarket delivery trucks in Bristol and wrecking ambulances in Kent, 100,000s of good people are helping us get our arms around this thing so we have a fighting chance in the next few weeks. 

Still loads to fix, particularly around people’s incomes, but looking at the big picture I think we’re doing okay - despite the politicians. 

• Like 2

So, the story goes that the effect on people who get it can vary from no symptoms whatsoever (I've seen some accounts that suggest it could be up to 50%), through mild symptoms, to feeling pretty awful, right to life-threatening. And interestingly, this seems to be true across age groups. Which begs the question: why? What are the factors that cause this variance? Strength of immune system? I was under the impression that we have zero immunity against this strain. Presumably someone's investigating this... 

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So, the story goes that the effect on people who get it can vary from no symptoms whatsoever (I've seen some accounts that suggest it could be up to 50%), through mild symptoms, to feeling pretty awful, right to life-threatening. And interestingly, this seems to be true across age groups. Which begs the question: why? What are the factors that cause this variance? Strength of immune system? I was under the impression that we have zero immunity against this strain. Presumably someone's investigating this... 

R4 earlier this evening mentioned blood type looking like it might play a part.

Don’t quote me on the exact figures but they were noticing that there were more A blood types in hospital than should have been by portion of population, something like 30% people are A, but 35% in hospital are A.

But that 30% of people are type O with only 25% in hospital.

It’s another factor to add in to the whole more males than females, more old than young.

Forbes

A new study that has come out of China claims to have found that people with type A blood may be more susceptible 

Edited by chrisp65

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm not disputing that we shouldn't be doing everything possible right now - as I am doing, I've barely left the house in over a week now.

But if in 3 months we get another directive saying that we need to spend another 3 months self isolating, well then I think that's the point at which I'd start weighing up what's actually worse.

I bet you are a right barrel of laughs at a party !!!!!

All the best @Villarocker

The symptoms you described almost mirror what I had just before Xmas. I suddenly went downhill in matter of a couple of hours in the evening. Ended up in bed, aching, wearing jogging bottoms, a hoodie and a beanie hat and I was literally shaking. It was like I had Parkinson's disease. Scary. I was rotten for a few days but started to feel better. Had a dry cough for a while and was coughing up a load of phlegm for weeks after. 

I may have just had the flu but it does sound similar.

Anyway, take care mate and stay hydrated.

Â