Generic Virus Thread

villakram

13 hours ago, Genie said:

MOT on my car is up in 3 weeks, are all garages closed/closing?

My mother gave the garage guy a call this morning and was told that, as it stands, they are open and to bring her car in as it was booked for the MOT (she needs it to get necessities for a couple of people locally who are unable to get out - both in 'shielding').

He said that things are changing constantly and obviously this might then not be the case later but that the MOT bods had been told not to test some categories of vehicles - it wasn't outlined to her which ones but obviously a domestic car was okay.

Edit:

Here''s a bit on it from the Beeb:

How do you MOT a vehicle if the garage is closed? - W. Burgher, Christchurch

Garages are allowed to remain open under the new restrictions. MOTs have been suspended for lorries, buses and trailers for up to three months, and MOT testing for cars, motorcycles and light vans is under review.

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I wander how representative this total nitwit is? 

edit - the nitwit is the caller, not the radio presenter pictured btw, just to avoid accidental slander

Surely there is a law which describes purposefully endangering other peoples lives as a criminal offence? 

36 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I wander how representative this total nitwit is? 

What a stupid, stupid woman she is. 

I don’t know how representative she is but I have noticed that a lot of people seem to grow a huge amount of self entitlement and arrogance, as they get older. Both mine and my wife’s parents have started to go that way, obviously nowhere near as bad as the idiot on this call, but little things we notice. Like their attitude to service in restaurants, call centres and generally expecting that everything should be done for them. As if reaching 60 suddenly entitles you to god-like status in society. 

For Swedes only I'm afraid but it's frighteningly spot on.

Basically it's about the stupidity of people from the Swedish epicenter Stockholm going on skiing holidays to the region of Sweden with the least number of hospital beds and staff bringing the virus with them to those people living there. The other guy responding that there is no ban against going on skiing holidays to those regions and H responding with there being no ban against eating their own shit either. And that people should not need an expert telling them not to commit genocide, especially since the virus was brought here by people who were on skiing holidays in Italy.

Seems as though there may be an issue with the Universal Credit increase and it not being announced that this will apply to legacy benefits as I've seen someone suggest that Leigh Day might be interested at looking in to it.

It may be a similar issue to previous government benefit cock-ups as it may be unlawfully discrimantory between two essentially identical groups.

If that's the case (and that's obviously a bif if) then I hope the Government gets to grips with it before April 6th (or whenever the UC increase is scheduled to begin) and sort it out so that they don't have to go through an embarrassing court case and loss again. It would be a headache they and those affected could do without.

Left the office for the last time, 100% work from home as of now.

Leaving the office about 11:30am I noticed the Lidl across the way appeared closed, did a double take and it was open but only 5 cars in the car park.

Called in, picked up everything I needed for a veggie chilli this evening, salad stuff, wraps, tortilla chips, tomato and cheese etc.. One till open, one person being served, half a dozen staff milling around with nothing to do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

My mother gave the garage guy a call this morning and was told that, as it stands, they are open and to bring her car in as it was booked for the MOT (she needs it to get necessities for a couple of people locally who are unable to get out - both in 'shielding').

He said that things are changing constantly and obviously this might then not be the case later but that the MOT bods had been told not to test some categories of vehicles - it wasn't outlined to her which ones but obviously a domestic car was okay.

Edit:

Here''s a bit on it from the Beeb:

Mine is due tomorrow. They just texted me to say

Hi, this is a reminder that you have your vehicle [details]  booked in on 25/03/20. If there are any issues please call a member of our team on [number]

21 hours ago, blandy said:

You're right, Mark.

But, hospital managers shouldn't need the gov't to ask them "are you prepared"?. They should have checked themselves, checked stocks of kit, all the rest and put out orders etc. if short. The mispreparedness of some hospital and not others suggests local management, probably exacerbated by end of financial year cost issues etc.

Yes, tory government policy, yes cuts, but still you've got to seriously look at hospital management for shortages, surely?

There will always be some managers better than others, there will always be some managers saved or damned by the luck of when a delivery is due.

Many years ago I worked on the periphery of the NHS, buildings, logistics, FM and space planning. Space is money, storage space had to be stripped of stores they had to be proven to be empty, described as fallow. Newer buildings simply weren’t designed with storage space, written out of the plans and planning. Store managers, FM teams, purchasing departments were sacked off and the ‘service’ privatised to the lowest bidder. The lowest bidder was the lowest because they can order remotely, they can order made in China gloves (because they are 3p cheaper) just in time (because there is no store). 

Logistics should be more than lowest bid wins. Hospitals are not allowed to buy the gloves 2p dearer made down the road, they have to come from China because that’s the tender system. Anyway, what could possibly go wrong.

Sell off buildings and land, convert, convert, convert. Get those franchises in the hospital ‘mall’, sack off ‘non-essential staff’. Squeeze the pips out of that budget and employ managers to enforce performance KPI’s.

Don’t let the government off the hook. It’s their fault. By design.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Seems as though there may be an issue with the Universal Credit increase and it not being announced that this will apply to legacy benefits as I've seen someone suggest that Leigh Day might be interested at looking in to it.

It may be a similar issue to previous government benefit cock-ups as it may be unlawfully discrimantory between two essentially identical groups.

If that's the case (and that's obviously a bif if) then I hope the Government gets to grips with it before April 6th (or whenever the UC increase is scheduled to begin) and sort it out so that they don't have to go through an embarrassing court case and loss again. It would be a headache they and those affected could do without.

Yeah, the delays in UC rollout have left a lot of people on legacy benefits, so there are still people knocking about on JSA/ESA.

Uprating works in a very similar way on legacy benefits to UC - the difference with UC is, with it being a much more modern system (and not being basically MS-DOS!) they can flick a switch here, change the build there, and hey presto you've stopped all deductions and increased the payments.

Legacy though, you've always needed a work force to essentially tell the system that each individual is to be paid more. Which is normal circumstances is fine. At the minute though we must be tens of thousands of staff short. We haven't got enough staff to deal with new UC claims at the moment, I haven't got a clue who is going to be touching legacy. As you suggest, yes, I would agree that in itself is discriminatory. It's not their fault the roll out in any particular area has left them being paid  from an archaic system. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Don’t let the government off the hook. It’s their fault. By design.

Oh, as I said in the first post on this, The government are absolutely complicit. That does not for a moment excuse Managers, whose responsibility is to have the basic PPE made available to the medics, from not having done so, given the notice period they got. Many managed it. You're obviously right some are better than others. It's the bad ones that need hoofing. And there are some awful ones. The merry go round they have of moving from one Trust to another after a failing and then carrying on as if they held no responsibility for it is truly mind boggling. We see that sort of thing t different levels - Grayling, Fox, etc. with Ministers. Establishment incompetence and covering up is ingrained.

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Sleazy Brexity businessman treats staff like garbage

Who would have thunk it

Got to one minute in and I just can’t listen to the dickhead any longer, he even sounds like a total knob, can’t stand the man and whilst I wouldn’t wish that many people to be totally out of work, I’d kinda laugh, quite a lot if Wetherspoons went under.

• Like 1

Â