Generic Virus Thread

villakram

12 minutes ago, choffer said:

People are crazy.

Yep.

Tbh, the only difference around here to a normal Saturday seems to be a slight decrease in people out and about (I just had to go to the shop to top up utilities as was out of gas) and the pubs and bookies closed. No distancing in the Co-op queue, people still making the same family visits as any other Saturday to people on my road, &c..

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

30-plus teenage boys on the hill behind our house, having a party, spraying beer at each other, chucking their empty bottles and cans everywhere. 

Don’t worry, Darwin’s gonna take care of them. 

FWIW it’s the same by me, parks were rammed with teenagers last night treating it like an early summer holiday. I don’t blame the kids, but the parents need some shoe pie. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Funny reading peoples comments.

I went to the park today and it was full of people, it's ridiculous. 

I went to the shops today and it was rammed with people, it's getting out of hand.

I went to the beach today, couldn't believe how many idiots were there.

You were also there... 

It is odd in a way but when you’re generally isolating, you presume everyone is doing the same. My OH presumed the beach would be empty and the little one was climbing the walls so thought a quick nip down to what is a quiet spot at the best of times would be fine, only to find the world and his wife living their normal lives. 

15 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I went to the shops today and it was rammed with people, it's getting out of hand.

You were also there... 

Have another read through.

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

30-plus teenage boys on the hill behind our house, having a party, spraying beer at each other, chucking their empty bottles and cans everywhere. 

1.77 or 2.2 with uprated springs should do the trick! 

12 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

You were also there... 

I went to the local playground/park with my 5 year old, thinking it would be quiet. My goodness I've never seen it so busy. Did stop there a little bit (you try leaving with a year old once he sees) but didn't interact, kept our distance and we both wore gloves. Took the long way home and really it didn't look any different to me, even more people walking including lots of pensioners around little Aston. Seems Bonkers, but yeah I was out, so a bit hypocritical.

35 minutes ago, Jon said:

Thanks for this info Lakota. I think I have this TBH. Noticed yesterday that when chatting to a friend I was struggling for breath a little.  Nothing serious.  But then woke up early this morning with slight breathing issues (not bad) and occasional chest pain (not bad). Seems to be getting worse (intermittently) throughout the day.  It's not particularly bad, but taking a deep breath is giving me discomfort/ light pain.  So I'm taking your advice and drinking water & paracetamol.  

It's no biggie at the moment but does seem to be getting slightly worse.  Are you over the worst of yours yet? 

i think/hope so & sorry to hear it if you have the same. Wednesday night was very concerning & think i must have been doing a bit too much yesterday or something as for about an hour last night it felt almost as bad but has generally been easier but by no means gone/completely better and it feels like i am getting out of breath far more easily than i should be if i am trying to do anything around the house so honestly i would just say as far as possible try and take it easy and do bugger all as much as possible. ( I normally walk the mile or so to work & back every day at 4+ miles an hour according to my fitbit without even a deep breath so i shouldn't be getting out of breath walking around the house)

I am lucky enough to have a couple of boxes of paracetamol in the house, not sure if they are doing anything but have been taking 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon & 2 in the evening & drinking plenty of water through the day (mostly with some squash/cordial in but a few glasses of just water). Probably have enough here to do this for another week then i will be out but by then my quarantine should be up so should at least hopefully be able to have a look for some in the shop.

I have also had a couple of hot baths & just sat in there reading a book for half an hour or so, again not sure if this helps but if i ever have a cold or feel a bit bunged up i often find that the steam helps clear the head & airways a bit.

If you are concerned and end up calling 111 you will be in for a long wait i am afraid. You will get through to basically the welcome person, they will screen out 90% of calls, If they have concerns that you should probably speak to someone else you will then end up on hold for anywhere upto 2 hours to speak to level 2. They will go through the same sort of questions but in a bit more detail with maybe some more person info thrown in. Most calls will end here with basically the same advice (paracetamol.water/isolate etc) but should they have more concerns you will then be waiting for stage 3 which will be a nurse calling you back, wait time for this is 2 hours+ again the nurse will go through the process again, with the same advice but if they are still concerned you will get to the final boss level of the clincal assessment team. Again this will be another 2 hours+ before they call you back and at this point you will either end up pretty much back at square 1 with the same advice you have been given all along or someone is going to turn up at your house in a hazmat suit sometime in the next few hours which may or may not end up in a trip to hospital.

Not sure how old you are and maybe this will be different for people older than my 45 years of age but this was my experience. If you are really, really struggling for breath and can't srting more than a few words together i would honestly just call 999 or if you are calling 111 as soon as you get through basically let them know you are in immediate fear for your life or you will be waiting hours

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

i really wish we had some idea of the actual number of cases, regardless of knowing the numbers the hospitals are still going to be overrun but there is far more likely to be 1 million people with it than 4000 at the moment which at least puts some sort of more realistic perspective on the mortality rate and would hopefully calm some of the nutters down. Although i guess it could also work the other way & make them more carefree too if only 100 per million are dying

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 4

A dad of a friend of mine got diagnosed today, he is in hospital in London.

Apparently there are plenty of empty beds and staff are prepared to take on plenty of people.

It looks like we are getting ready. 

20 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

i think/hope so & sorry to hear it if you have the same. Wednesday night was very concerning & think i must have been doing a bit too much yesterday or something as for about an hour last night it felt almost as bad but has generally been easier but by no means gone/completely better and it feels like i am getting out of breath far more easily than i should be if i am trying to do anything around the house so honestly i would just say as far as possible try and take it easy and do bugger all as much as possible. ( I normally walk the mile or so to work & back every day at 4+ miles an hour according to my fitbit without even a deep breath so i shouldn't be getting out of breath walking around the house)

I am lucky enough to have a couple of boxes of paracetamol in the house, not sure if they are doing anything but have been taking 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon & 2 in the evening & drinking plenty of water through the day (mostly with some squash/cordial in but a few glasses of just water). Probably have enough here to do this for another week then i will be out but by then my quarantine should be up so should at least hopefully be able to have a look for some in the shop.

I have also had a couple of hot baths & just sat in there reading a book for half an hour or so, again not sure if this helps but if i ever have a cold or feel a bit bunged up i often find that the steam helps clear the head & airways a bit.

If you are concerned and end up calling 111 you will be in for a long wait i am afraid. You will get through to basically the welcome person, they will screen out 90% of calls, If they have concerns that you should probably speak to someone else you will then end up on hold for anywhere upto 2 hours to speak to level 2. They will go through the same sort of questions but in a bit more detail with maybe some more person info thrown in. Most calls will end here with basically the same advice (paracetamol.water/isolate etc) but should they have more concerns you will then be waiting for stage 3 which will be a nurse calling you back, wait time for this is 2 hours+ again the nurse will go through the process again, with the same advice but if they are still concerned you will get to the final boss level of the clincal assessment team. Again this will be another 2 hours+ before they call you back and at this point you will either end up pretty much back at square 1 with the same advice you have been given all along or someone is going to turn up at your house in a hazmat suit sometime in the next few hours which may or may not end up in a trip to hospital.

Not sure how old you are and maybe this will be different for people older than my 45 years of age but this was my experience. If you are really, really struggling for breath and can't srting more than a few words together i would honestly just call 999 or if you are calling 111 as soon as you get through basically let them know you are in immediate fear for your life or you will be waiting hours

Cheers mate. Not too bad at the moment so getting your steer on it is really helpful.  I'm 46 so same age really and mostly similar symptoms it seems. Not gonna bother with 111 unless it gets really bad.  Thanks again for the info.  🙂

My days start with me hoping for some positive news come 5pm when it comes to the Italy figures being announced. It’s just constantly getting worse and worse. Would love to understand why there doesn’t seem to be an end in sight. 

Freaking terrifying. 

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

i really wish we had some idea of the actual number of cases, regardless of knowing the numbers the hospitals are still going to be overrun but there is far more likely to be 1 million people with it than 4000 at the moment which at least puts some sort of more realistic perspective on the mortality rate and would hopefully calm some of the nutters down. Although i guess it could also work the other way & make them more carefree too if only 100 per million are dying

It’s not 100 deaths per million. I think it takes about 2 weeks for the average death so the numbers of deaths we are seeing at the moment has come from the pool of people who got sick two weeks ago. So in two weeks from the number of people sick today...

Â