Generic Virus Thread

villakram

17 minutes ago, Awol said:

Just braved Facebook and a mate has posted that his 12 yr old daughter is down with the virus, ridiculously high temp and struggling to breathe. 

This wasn’t supposed to be happening...

This is my worry in all this is that whilst we have all been led to believe it is pretty much in the main only going to affect the elderly with underlying health conditions that is not going to be the case. I think that is also what we want to believe as the only comfort I have been able to take from all this is that my kids are almost certainly not going to be affected other than if they get it very mild symptoms.

Edited by markavfc40

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

This is my worry in all this is that whilst we have all been led to believe it is pretty much in the main only going to affect the elderly with underlying health conditions that is not going to be the case. I think that is also what we want to believe as the only comfort I have been able to take from all this is that my kids are almost certainly not going to be affected.

It's heartbreaking, I'm 45 with 4 kids and I'm in the high-risk stay in for 12 weeks group. 

15 minutes ago, Awol said:

Logically, yes. Trouble is human trials take so long because they need to be sure there’s no unintended consequences further down the line, like 8 months after receiving a vaccine your feet fall off - or something. 

I don’t think they can sensibly rush new drugs through human trials, even though the economic consequences are dire. 

The good news is, the drugs showing ‘promise’ are not new and are already approved for other uses. 

Chloroquine has been around since the 50’s and the Hydroxy version is thought to be safer and potentially more effective. 

That’s not to say they don’t need to be careful, but the fact they have already been deemed ‘safe’ for human use, and if positive results continue to come in from trials, it could make a huge difference. 

The fact they are so considering giving it to 10k medical workers, must mean they are pretty confident people’s feet won’t fall off! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

The good news is, the drugs showing ‘promise’ are not new and are already approved for other uses. 

Chloroquine has been around since the 50’s and the Hydroxy version is thought to be safer and potentially more effective. 

That’s not to say they don’t need to be careful, but the fact they have already been deemed ‘safe’ for human use, and if positive results continue to come in from trials, it could make a huge difference. 

The fact they are so considering giving it to 10k medical workers, must mean they are pretty confident people’s feet won’t fall off! 

Yeah my bad, didn’t read the whole thread properly and thought it was a discussion about vaccines.

• Like 1

Just watching the latest Sky News report from Lombardy. It is so frightening. Only one patient in ICU has started to get better and that is after 2 weeks. The rest are either dead or have not improved at all. Also they are now getting a lot of younger people in ICU as they are not being treated in hospital as there is no room for them, I assume the reporter meant non ICU wards, so they are now getting people in their 30's and 40's. I fear this is where we are heading.

Just now, Genie said:

I just came back from walking the dog, never seen so many people out, riding bikes, walking their dogs, cutting grass, sweeping the paths etc

I mentioned to the wife that I've never seen so many people walking up and down our road! lets look on the bright side.

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Just watching the latest Sky News report from Lombardy. It is so frightening. Only one patient in ICU has started to get better and that is after 2 weeks. The rest are either dead or have not improved at all. Also they are now getting a lot of younger people in ICU as they are not being treated in hospital as there is no room for them, I assume the reporter meant non ICU wards, so they are now getting people in their 30's and 40's. I fear this is where we are heading.

It’s certainly a worry for the UK, but I’m not sure what it is about Italy that makes them such an outlier in this respect?

1 hour ago, leighavfc said:

I have came off all them in the past few months.

Facebook I quit about 8 years ago.... 

Twitter just a pool of self righteous morons

Instagram the look at me, I'm better than you society

F**k them all in my view, world was a much better place when we actually spoke to each other rather than liking, commenting and retweeting.

Yes there are good things that happen on them from time to time. In general its absolute s**t

100%! That’s my take on it too.

• Thanks 1

I’ve always enjoyed living here with access to a lot of different beaches and coast walks.

The main commercial beach has got quite busy lately as every **** wants to instagram their pug.

This morning, I turned around and came home, it was **** rammed busy at 8:30am.

People really are just utterly weird.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s certainly a worry for the UK, but I’m not sure what it is about Italy that makes them such an outlier in this respect?

Don’t think they are an outlier, just further ahead than the rest of us. Fully expect this to be replicated across Europe. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t think they are. Reports from Germany, France and NYC saying around 40% of hospitalised patients are under 60. 

The younger ones aren’t dying, because they respond to treatment, but if more and more end up in hospital, there won’t be enough treatments. 

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve always enjoyed living here with access to a lot of different beaches and coast walks.

The main commercial beach has got quite busy lately as every **** wants to instagram their pug.

This morning, I turned around and came home, it was **** rammed busy at 8:30am.

People really are just utterly weird.

My partner has just reported the same. Took the little one to what is normally a relatively quiet bit of Brighton beach, presuming it would be even quieter than usual. She said it was like August bank holiday weekend. Nobody keeping a distance, large groups of da yout having beach parties and people seemingly carrying on as if covid-19 didn’t even exist. 
People are crazy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

I know it is still early on in this whole thing but think we are well past the point of simply saying well it's worth a try in the lab or a handful of people on some of these existing drugs out there.

I am sure there would be a willing line of already hospitalised people willing to give them a try when the current outcome is you will either die or possibly recover, seems to be a 50/50 call but this drug that works on similar things may help, do you want to give it a go...

You would think that with some of them already being available pretty much over the counter we would be unlikely to unleash the t-virus.

Almost one of those too good to be true outcomes i guess if it turns out that something there are already millions of that cost pennies ends up being the answer or at least, good enough to halt/slow things down enough for a proper long term vaccine to be found but who knows, maybe Trump & his gut feeling is right, here's hoping

I think Fauci hazarded some sort of explanation as to why this isn't the right way to look at things in the White House PC yesterday (or the day before).

I think that part of the point is not how people may react to existing drugs but how people with these particular conditions may react and how the virus might react which is why they need to look at it carefully.

As he expressed, he was also optimistic about these potential discoveries and hoped that they would sort it out but that there needed to be caution.

8 minutes ago, choffer said:

My partner has just reported the same. Took the little one to what is normally a relatively quiet bit of Brighton beach, presuming it would be even quieter than usual. She said it was like August bank holiday weekend. Nobody keeping a distance, large groups of da yout having beach parties and people seemingly carrying on as if covid-19 didn’t even exist. 
People are crazy. 

Same story on the beach by us earlier, locals are being unusually sociable. 

85AA3111-DFB2-42E3-B572-33A2CDBAFF6C.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 19/03/2020 at 02:39, LakotaDakota said:

Well that was an interesting evening. Genuinely not pissing about here. Felt fine until Tuesday despite wife showing symptoms over the weekend but mild dry throat & occasional cough appeared before relatively light chest pains & difficulty breathing kicked in. Actually seemed to improve a little by the time i woke up but cough & breathing worsened during the day to the point where i am struggling to take any sort of meaningful deep breath at all. Doesn't feel like i am about to collapse or anything but breathing isn't fun and having to stand up every few minutes to try and get some sort of deeper gulp of air.Standing in the garden definitely seems to aid this at least somewhat. Assessed & told it looks like i definitely have it but not tested or hospitalised. Repeatedly asked about any blood coming from either end (there isn't) & still able to hold a conversation without having to stop to try and breathe every few words and this seems to be the cut-off point at the moment for whether you are going to end up in hospital or not. Treatment/advice is drink water, take paracetamol, wash hands, do not leave the house for 14 days, avoid other people. If breathing difficulties worsen over the next 3 or 4 days and/or any signs of blood call 111 (999 in extremes). Unless you are pretty much about to drop dead (which hopefully i am not) it seems you are not getting tested or going anywhere near a hospital. Now off to bed & will hopefully wake up in the morning 😕 Cheers to those who showed concern & stay safe out there. This isn't much fun.

Thanks for this info Lakota. I think I have this TBH. Noticed yesterday that when chatting to a friend I was struggling for breath a little.  Nothing serious.  But then woke up early this morning with slight breathing issues (not bad) and occasional chest pain (not bad). Seems to be getting worse (intermittently) throughout the day.  It's not particularly bad, but taking a deep breath is giving me discomfort/ light pain.  So I'm taking your advice and drinking water & paracetamol.  

It's no biggie at the moment but does seem to be getting slightly worse.  Are you over the worst of yours yet? 

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, choffer said:

People are crazy. 

30-plus teenage boys on the hill behind our house, having a party, spraying beer at each other, chucking their empty bottles and cans everywhere. 

Â