Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Given that there is a weekend coming up, I recommend hat everyone have order 200-500 pounds cash on hand in case a bank holiday is called, and all electronic payment systems go down for a few days.

We're not here yet, but if the markets crash tomorrow, who knows!

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

Oh here we go, Calling all travel insurance experts.

So my holiday Tittle-tattle cancelation begins, 

Firm i booked with says i need to claim off my insurance, Now just spoke with insurance and they say i need to claim off firm i booked the package with!!! 

Anybody able to give any advice on how to get the money back please?

If you booked with a credit card you could file a section 75 with your credit card company and they'll fight the refund for you basically.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases/

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Genie said:

You still going on about rich people having lots of money? :lol: 
Like you and I with our money, we can do with it as we please.

Don't know why you're getting so offended by this, unless you're in the 1%?

Plus it's never going to happen anyway but why you're so against the concept of it is baffling frankly.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Or, the 1% of mega rich people who are hoarding all the money...............just saying.

Let's not get into the wider debate, but Mr Gates or Mr Bezos aren't swimming in dollars like Scrooge McDuck.

Their money is heavily placed in assets, bonds, businesses or properties and if things go south they will also be hit heavily.

Granted, for us a recession means loosing our home. For Mark Zuckenberg it might mean losing £5bn out of his £20bn - but again, he doesn't have that money sitting on his American Express card. 

• Like 1

One of the avenue's we're exploring in case of lockdown or quarntine etc is people using click and collect at ASDA for example and booking a taxi to pick up the goods using our online web booker

Taxi driver enters his licence number and the code supplied by the customer on the booking. Picks up goods takes them to address. They can pay by contactless through the letterbox etc if they really need to

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I read something earlier about going into incognito mode in Chrome, entering everything yourself manually and doing it in the early hours of the morning. People were having some success with that. Can't vouch for its authenticity but it seems it was working for some

Thanks Bickster. I shall give it a try. I hope everything is all okay on Murkeyside. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

I don't think it's applicable for Limited companies that work from a home office or client site

On the face of it, it looks like you're right.

I know I saw it brought up the other day. It looks like these people/small businesses have been ignored.

Earlier this week, our bosses said that colleagues that owned a laptop/desktop PC could work from home whilst the office is closed. 

Only me and a few other daft people volunteered and said we could. It was pissing me off thinking that I'd be working whilst the majority of my colleagues would be sat watching netflix and scratching their bits for the next few months, especially as me and Mrs P will have to arrange childcare.

Today they've changed plans and the office isn't closing. If you can work from home you can start from tomorrow, everybody else is in.

It's amazing how 100+ people have suddenly realised that they do have laptops at home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

All my arguments with my "company" were with my director and our department.

Found out today that the senior leadership above my director are pushing for EVERYONE to be working in the office as normal.

We're not going to, but people are real words removed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

All my arguments with my "company" were with my director and our department.

Found out today that the senior leadership above my director are pushing for EVERYONE to be working in the office as normal.

We're not going to, but people are real words removed.

My mrs's company is American and they have repeatedly said '<company> is not a home office company' and her manager has to report the way her DR's are getting to work so she can prove they need home office. She's here thankfully but I'm worried they will force her to go back in.

These exec's who are protected from this shite are utter arseholes.

Oxford scientists develop rapid testing technology for COVID-19

Scientists from the University of Oxford’s Engineering Science Department and the Oxford Suzhou Centre for Advanced Research (OSCAR) have developed a rapid testing technology for the novel corona virus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19). The team, led by Prof Zhanfeng Cui and Prof Wei Huang, have been working to improve test capabilities as the virus spreads internationally.

The new test is much faster and does not need a complicated instrument. Previous viral RNA tests took 1.5 to 2 hours to give a result. The research team has developed a new test, based on a technique which is capable of giving results in just half an hour – over three times faster than the current method. 

Prof Wei Huang says: ‘The beauty of this new test lies in the design of the viral detection that can specifically recognise SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) RNA and RNA fragments. The test has built-in checks to prevent false positives or negatives and the results have been highly accurate.’

Additionally, the technology is very sensitive. This means that patients in early stages of infection may be identified sooner, potentially helping to reduce the spread of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19). The technology only requires a simple heat-block which maintains a constant temperature for RNA reverse transcription and DNA amplification, and the results can be read by the naked eye. This makes it potentially useful in rural area or community healthcare centres. 

...more

58 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Don't know why you're getting so offended by this, unless you're in the 1%?

Plus it's never going to happen anyway but why you're so against the concept of it is baffling frankly.

I’m not offended in the slightest. I just find it really weird how much upsets you the fact that there are some super rich people that you keep bringing it up. It’s their money, they can spend it, hoard it, burn it, give it all away. It’s up to them.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Cutting corners. Yep, mutant zombies incoming and we are all getting David Cronenburged.

:)

I'd imagine that there's more leeway for speed in testing than vaccination/treatment but I still have sympathy with your conclusion.

Â