Generic Virus Thread

villakram

50 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

John Fowler quite a large holiday park company in UK has decided they are keeping their sites open and all facilities fully operational. I am sure this is all just part of the game many businesses will be playing with the Government and the need for the government to instruct them to close due to insurance purposes. Bit of a farce really.

I would suspect they'll want to read their insurance policy wordings. A lot will exclude stuff like this.

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I would suspect they'll want to read their insurance policy wordings. A lot will exclude stuff like this.

I think it is possibly more, with current government guidance, if they decide to cancel people breaks for this weekend etc then they are liable to refund people. If the government instructs them to close then it maybe that the customer then goes to the insurance company. I got to be honest mate I am just speculating here as with a lot of all this.

Edited by markavfc40

The article this information comes from is in Italian, so little point in posting an extract but it's slightly cheery news

50-75% of COVID-19 cases are completely asymptomatic but contagious (a whole city got tested in Italy, ~3k population)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

**** hell. 

sounds like my wedding in 2 months has no chance of happening then :( I know it would be the right thing to do to cancel etc and the consequences for other people are much more severe, but this is a real word removed. 

Same here. 

Stag in Portugal,  Hen do Ibiza in April / May. Wedding in Lithuania in July, Honeymoon USA. Doubt it will happen, lost a lot of money but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. 

Edited by pas5898

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

The article this information comes from is in Italian, so little point in posting an extract but it's slightly cheery news

50-75% of COVID-19 cases are completely asymptomatic but contagious (a whole city got tested in Italy, ~3k population)

That's not really good news, though, is it? Lots of carriers going undetected, unknowingly infecting the 25%-50% who ARE going to get symptoms - in many cases serious or fatal. Only 100% testing would help, and that would end up isolating countless more people, and effectively paralysing society. Not to mention the fact that you could test negative, but catch it the next day. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I think the key information in that snippet you supplied is;

"When you do an aerosol-generating procedure like in a medical care facility, you have the possibility to what we call aerosolize these particles, which means they can stay in the air a little bit longer." 

This was mentioned in the meeting yesterday, but myself and our engineers were categorically told "if these procedures are taking place, you will be told and you will be removed from the space in which it's being performed".  

Those air settings which you quoted will not affect the general public, because we don't perform things like airway suction, high frequency oscillatory ventilation, tracheostomy, chest physiotherapy, nebulizer treatment or sputum inductions, which cause droplet particles to form into finer, lighter particles which do stay in the air. 

Unless you're this guy;

That's a good point.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

If places want to stay open then I support that. They'll be regularly cleaned and maintained

Will they?

55 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

PEOPLE need to make sure it stays that way with basic hygiene. If everyone washes hands, sneezes into tissues etc... then everyone is good.

Mate, people are **** idiots. Half the country would leave their heads at home if they weren't screwed on.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think it is possibly more, with current government guidance, if they decide to cancel people breaks for this weekend etc then they are liable to refund people. If the government instructs them to close then it maybe that the customer then goes to the insurance company. I got to be honest mate I am just speculating here as with a lot of all this.

I'm coming from the point of view that I'd guess very, very few business insurance policies are going to pick up any aspect of cover for a virus outbreak.

• Like 1

A gig I was going to in May, Reverend Horton Heat has been cancelled. Unsure if the BST Hyde Park concerts will go ahead as I have tickets for Pearl Jam, ah who am I kidding, Taylor Swift better not cancel on me. 

Just now, Chindie said:

I'm coming from the point of view that I'd guess very, very few business insurance policies are going to pick up any aspect of cover for a virus outbreak.

Yes it suspect it makes little difference whether the government ordered businesses to close or just tell people to stay away.  The business is not going to be covered for such an extraordinary event and if they were insurance companies would quickly go under. 

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That's not really good news, though, is it? Lots of carriers going undetected, unknowingly infecting the 25%-50% who ARE going to get symptoms - in many cases serious or fatal. Only 100% testing would help, and that would end up isolating countless more people, and effectively paralysing society. Not to mention the fact that you could test negative, but catch it the next day. 

Yes I get that completely Mike but there are people out there that are completely petrified of catching it themselves and worry what the effects will be

• Like 2

Cannot grasp people talking about holidays and events and days out and when the football will be back. It is all gone. It is all a right off. The hangover for this will be monumental and long reaching that a few months.

The blase attitudes at work and in my family. I am bloody sick of it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

If places want to stay open then I support that. They'll be regularly cleaned and maintained. PEOPLE need to make sure it stays that way with basic hygiene. If everyone washes hands, sneezes into tissues etc... then everyone is good.

Cleaning doesn't cut it though. Even a deep clean offers a maximum protection of 1 hour. Electrostatic spray is the most effective way to disinfect an area but there isn't much evidence that this would blitz Covid-19.

Our small office in London has just been quoted several thousand for a one-off electrostatic clean. It's not sustainable to do that every day.

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Yes it suspect it makes little difference whether the government ordered businesses to close or just tell people to stay away.  The business is not going to be covered for such an extraordinary event and if they were insurance companies would quickly go under. 

Business interruption isn't really my field but there's definitely going to be some policies out there that will cover this kind of thing, but they'll be enormous premium covers that are tailored for gigantic businesses. The run of the mill BI policy normal businesses might have are designed for things like damage to property preventing work, they aren't covering virus outbreaks. Even less so stuff that's pretty much force majeure.

Grauniad live page:

Capital Economics have predicted that the UK economy could shrink by around 15% in the next three months, as Covid-19 triggers a “big recession”.

That would be a staggering drop in economic activity, inflicting real pain on millions of people.

For comparison, the UK shrank by 6% during and after the 2008 financial crisis -- and that was spread across more than a year.

• Sad 1

Just thinking out loud but when we come out of the other side of this. World travel is going to be completely different. Airlines are going to go bust, budget airlines might no longer exist, foreign holidays might be a once in a decade experience...

Â