Generic Virus Thread

villakram

"Airborne precautions"?  So... we should wear masks after all? 

"WHO considers 'airborne precautions' for medical staff after study shows coronavirus can survive in air"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/16/who-considers-airborne-precautions-for-medical-staff-after-study-shows-coronavirus-can-survive-in-air.html?__source=twitter|main

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So, my family now has to square the circle: 

Daughter and her feller both work in the NHS, and have to go into work. On crowded buses. Their children have to be looked after by us - one is 13 months old, the other a four year old, going to school. 

My wife is 62  and immunocompromised, and should therefore self-isolate, but instead is going to be exposed to attack from the bus direction and the school direction. 

Not good. 

Why haven't they cancelled school yet? Can you keep them from going to school and eliminate that potential source?

Macron’s measures look great for 14 days, but after that? Bankrupting the French state.

This is going to last for several months at least, no state has the reserves or capacity to carry the entire national economy on its shoulders for that length of time, it’s just not possible. 

As horrible as this is undoubtedly going to be, we absolutely need to be able to function economically at the end of it or the breakdown it brings on will be a disaster many times worse than the causal problem. 

The government has screwed the pooch massively. There’s not enough of anything, ventilators, PPE, and most importantly,  trained flipping ICU nurses - who in six months time will be regarded with the national reverence we’ve reserved only for Spitfire pilots. “The Few” Mk.2.  This is the real deal now fellas. 

The reckoning for austerity and complacency will come, that’s beyond question. But we all need a functioning framework to operate in once we are through it. Blank cheques may seem moral now, but they’re not sustainable for months,  and then what? Back to work, virus not extinguished and a bankrupt state. That’s apocalyptic. 

We’re all going to get kicked in the tits one way or another, that’s a given.  What we need to ensure is being able to get back up again ASAP and start to rebuild. It is that bad, make no mistake. If you doubt then suspend your cynicism, look across Europe and play forward the consequences of what these events mean. 

Back from the supermarket. Bought a bunch of cat food and litter, the last several boxes of pasta left on the shelf, a whole turkey, pork chops, onions, carrots, (they were out of garlic 😲), frozen pizza, frozen veggies, water, tuna fish, etc. The place was a little busier than normal, and everyone was calm. 

The city just imposed a curfew on restaurants. Many places have already closed and laid off staff. I expect a complete shutdown of bars soon. I might have one or two nights to do a little business, but I'm honestly thinking about just saving the booze and food for myself!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Daughter and her feller both work in the NHS, and have to go into work. On crowded buses. Their children have to be looked after by us - one is 13 months old, the other a four year old, going to school. 

My wife is 62  and immunocompromised, and should therefore self-isolate, but instead is going to be exposed to attack from the bus direction and the school direction. 

Not good. 

Crikey mate feel sorry for you, as @maqroll says is there no way you can keep them away from school? I know its not ideal but could be very dangerous for your wife. At least that would eliminate the school aspect if you could. Then it would be a case of hoping to hell that neither your daughter or her fella getting it, and you could put some kind of procedure in place so not much if any contact with your daughter and her fella.

Not exactly rocket science I know mate but hopefully you can work something out. Hope you do sort something, all the best with it 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

Macron’s measures look great for 14 days, but after that? Bankrupting the French state.

This is going to last for several months at least, no state has the reserves or capacity to carry the entire national economy on its shoulders for that length of time, it’s just not possible.

No, I don't think this is right at all. In fact I think that's dangerously wrong.

Macron's actions will undoubtedly lead to a significant rise in inflation, but that can be corrected through conventional fiscal policy after the crisis is over. Save the hundreds of thousands of lives first, then worry about the inflation and the fiscal policy. Perverse to put inflation targets ahead of lives.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, I don't think this is right at all. In fact I think that's dangerously wrong.

Macron's actions will undoubtedly lead to a significant rise in inflation, but that can be corrected through conventional fiscal policy after the crisis is over. Save the hundreds of thousands of lives first, then worry about the inflation and the fiscal policy. Perverse to put inflation targets ahead of lives.

That’s not what I’m saying. Inflation targets and a bankrupt state are not the same. France can’t just print its own money. The ECB controls that. 

A lot of businesses are going to go to the wall with all the suffering that involves. The stimulus and help to restart the economy is going to come after and will need to be huge. 

Trying to maintain an entire nation’s standard of living by paying every expense or covering every loss for months is not possible. It’s just not. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Not good. 

Mate Police your own safety and those around you, Pull the kids out of school based on safety grounds. 

The school nor you can guarantee the safety of your family due to government protocol so are left with No choice but to act accordingly. 

Im sure plenty of parents will be implementing the withdrawals over the coming days!

Good luck mate 

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, maqroll said:

How is Brexit affecting the response and supply chain?

It’s not. Our economic relationship and trading arrangements are unchanged because we’re in the transition period until the end of the year. Also worth noting that EU members or not, it’s every nation for itself. Borders closed, bans on exports of medical goods, reality is sinking in. 

Counties in the SF Bay Area have now implemented shelter in place.   Pretty much everything outside Police and Fire departments, grocery stores and pharmacies and hospitals shut down.

For those that need to know. The government has relaxed the rules for children's attendance and you will not be penalised for taking your kids out with reason. I have heard that schools to close nationwide either this Friday or next. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Back from the supermarket. Bought a bunch of cat food and litter, the last several boxes of pasta left on the shelf, a whole turkey, pork chops, onions, carrots, (they were out of garlic 😲), frozen pizza, frozen veggies, water, tuna fish, etc. The place was a little busier than normal, and everyone was calm. 

The city just imposed a curfew on restaurants. Many places have already closed and laid off staff. I expect a complete shutdown of bars soon. I might have one or two nights to do a little business, but I'm honestly thinking about just saving the booze and food for myself!

I went to the supermarket on the way home from work, in hindsight I was being massively naive, because my idea was to pick up lasagne sheets and make a vegetable lasagne this evening.

Nope, aisle wiped out, no rice no pasta no tomato sauce. Baked beans wiped out, full shelves of kidney beans and borlotti beans and chick peas and everything. Just this weird selective panic. Toilet rolls gone, kitchen roll a choice of about ten different brands.

But luckily the panic buyers didn’t have the imagination to visit any other aisle. Frozen pizzas were a pound each and bags of salad were a pound each.

It’s weird out there and unfortunately, you have to try and anticipate the weirdness whilst telling yourself you’re not joining in.

Nervous Americans start panic buying GUNS

Americans are starting to panic-buy guns with sales rocketing across the country and shoppers lining up around the block outside hunting shops amid coronavirus fears.

Some buyers sought to 'protect their families' from looters should food and supplies run out due to coronavirus panic. 

Others feared that the government's emergency powers could restrict their right to buy a gun while some Asian-Americans bought weapons to protect themselves from potential racist attacks. 

Daily Mail

What could possibly go wrong in US 

14 minutes ago, Awol said:

That’s not what I’m saying. Inflation targets and a bankrupt state are not the same. France can’t just print its own money. The ECB controls that. 

A lot of businesses are going to go to the wall with all the suffering that involves. The stimulus and help to restart the economy is going to come after and will need to be huge. 

Trying to maintain an entire nation’s standard of living by paying every expense or covering every loss for months is not possible. It’s just not. 

What France can do is sell lots and lots and lots of government bonds, which it will be able to do because what the **** else have investors got to invest in until this is over. The ECB will also end up helping out by printing large amounts of money. Even the Germans can't avoid that these days.

This will not 'bankrupt' France, neither in 14 days nor in a year, and I am very confident both that my prediction will be proven correct, and that lots of other countries will also be taking drastic measures in a similar ballpark before long.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Why haven't they cancelled school yet? Can you keep them from going to school and eliminate that potential source?

Good question, and the one that EVERY family is asking. General feeling is that they'll be closed by the end of the week. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

What France can do is sell lots and lots and lots of government bonds, which it will be able to do because what the **** else have investors got to invest in until this is over. The ECB will also end up helping out by printing large amounts of money. Even the Germans can't avoid that these days.

This will not 'bankrupt' France, neither in 14 days nor in a year, and I am very confident both that my prediction will be proven correct, and that lots of other countries will also be taking drastic measures in a similar ballpark before long.

You may well be right mate, it’s definitely a debate that gets settled before we forget about it. 

48 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not good. 

Keep them at home. We’re doing that. Argue the toss afterwards. 

• Like 2

Â