Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, Dom_Wren said:

Hahaha. Didn’t really buy a gun. Did buy some ammo tho! I was very calm. 

ps. I really wanted to buy a gun!

pps. Do you know of a tank going cheap!?

Ukraine, but shipping is a bit cheeky. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Kinda crazy that the whole world is pretty much f***ed over such small numbers of people. Around 155,000 people die every single day, 2/3 of these are age related. If you take the 60 or so days that people have been dying from covid-19 around 9.3 million people will have died, 6 million or so of these will be as a result of "old age"

Given that many of the 7,200 people who have died as a result of covid -19 are elderly/already sick there is a good chance that a fair old chunk of those would have died anyway as part of the 9.3 million and currently the numbers only account for approximately 0.07% of deaths in the past 60 days or so.

The WHO estimates that there are between 80000-130000 deaths every year from people being bitten by a snake, averaged out over the same 60 day period (using 100,000 per year as an estimate) this would mean that 16,500 people have potentially died from snake bites in the same time as 7,200 have died from covid-19

Snake bites aren't spreading or multiplying though. Also the elderly are dying not simply because they are elderly, but because their immune systems are compromised and so the same threat can apply to anyone younger in a similar boat. Other risk factors include diabetes, high blood pressure etc and those health issues don't discriminate by age.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

If there was any doubt about just how amateurish American government is these days, this catastrophic response to CV should dispel it all. Useless **** words removed of the very first order. People said Trump would get us all killed, and look where we are now. This is a tragedy in real time.

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Some US analysts I follow on Twitter are wailing about how bad things are in the UK. Perspective lacking...

I have been critical of a lot of the UK response, and this blunder of following the old version of the Imperial College model that underestimated hospitalisation for coronavirus by a significant margin is going to end up costing a lot of lives.

However, Donald Trump is in an absolute different league of ineptitude. There's no equivalence to be drawn.

The uselessness of Trump's response to this really has the potential to be catastrophic. It has already been very very very bad; whatever time he gained with his China travel ban was wasted on doing absolutely nothing, and his communications have been abysmal, but you also have to assume that the economic rescue package will be inept and badly-designed as well (I'd love to be proven wrong).

When you think about it, and leaving ideology aside, it is beyond belief that he can give a press conference that contains three massive inaccuracies that lead to tens of thousands of Americans crowding at European airports, spending tens of thousands of dollars on plane tickets they didn't need to by, and for various underlings to have to go in Twitter to *clarify* statements put out on the official White House Twitter account. He seems dozy, disinterested, out of his depth and he can't even read a teleprompter properly. He's only stopped bragging about his phantom success in controlling the virus in the last 48 hours or so FFS.

He's only stopped bragging about his phantom success in controlling the virus in the last 48 hours or so FFS.

Short lived. He just gave himself a 10/10 for his response to the crisis.

He's now calling Covid-19 "The Chinese Virus" in yet more demagoguery. 

His idiot followers are still defending him. Staggering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Shelter in place order given to the entire San Francisco bay area. Here we go. 

Wife working from home, kids doing school online.   I work at a hospital, so I'm still out every day.   Commute time cut in half, though, so there are positives to be taken if you look for them.

• Like 1

The Daily Mirror front page describes CV19 as an “emergency unparalleled in human history.”

It’s not Black Death. (Note - If I am proved wrong on this there will only be 4 people left alive on this forum to remind me how wrong I was.)

In the 80’s the papers told us that we’d all get aids if we went swimming or used public toilets. In the 90’s they told us that the Millennium Bug would cause worldwide disruption. In the 00’s Pit bulls were going to savage our children. Every school child needed a stab vest. Mobile phones would give you brain cancer.  In the 10’s ISIS was going to take over all the oil producing countries and rule the world. 

Why do we allow these people to cause panics that are far more serious than the actual problem? 

Financially this could be worse than 2008 methinks. At least during a bank crisis you can resort to QE, rate cuts etc. How can you ease the effects of something that's stopped up. Not struggling. Stopped. 

Tourism is ****, airlines are ****, shops, hairdressers, tattoo parlours, craftsmen, teachers, pubs, bars and restaurants. 

Even if this was stopped next week it would have massive consequences and it's likely to go on for months yet. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Financially this could be worse than 2008 methinks. At least during a bank crisis you can resort to QE, rate cuts etc. How can you ease the effects of something that's stopped up. Not struggling. Stopped. 

Tourism is ****, airlines are ****, shops, hairdressers, tattoo parlours, craftsmen, teachers, pubs, bars and restaurants. 

Even if this was stopped next week it would have massive consequences and it's likely to go on for months yet. 

I agree! From pictures in the media I have seen over the last few days of town and city's, looks like they are all completely dead. Wont take long for many of these bar and restaurants to lay off staff, that's if the havent done already. Airlines obviously are dropping staff by the day currently. I imagine many holiday companies will be doing the same over the coming weeks too. I think a lot of people will be losing their job or work altogether very quickly and that is obviously not good at all. There is no gradual loss it will be a massive spike in a small period of time. 

This will be worldwide too. Future looking bleak currently for many reasons.....

Can confirm that there's been massive lay offs in Norway. One of our oldest industrial companies said it was the worst time in their history, that goes back to the 1800s. The problem is largely that

1) there's some companies without a big backlog, and even  those companies with a big backlog clients are backtracking. Companies that lease out equipment, ships on bareboat charter etc. are now seeing the contracts voided cause the clients can't cope. The massive reduction in sales and production of cars in China this year is for instance a problem for huge companies in Norway in shipping, leasing, silisium production, aluminium and steel production and oil companies. Nobody is spared.

2) Many companies are highly leveraged from the last bank crisis, and up to a month ago the credit market was cheap and easy. Now they credit isn't there, and they are all struggling with liquidity. 

Have to admit the financial aspect of this bothers me a lot. And may end up taking more lives than the virus itself. 

The only thing I will say about Boris advice is this... I'm not sure what else he can say tbh. It's incredibly difficult to get the right balance in a situation like this. If he closes everything now then people will lose money and jobs.. he hasn't done this he has advised people not to go.

If he doesn't say anything and people go about as normal, potentially the virus spreads quicker and to more people thus eventually ending up in total shutdown and people losing jobs anyway further down the line. Double edged sword for me. I think he is trying to keep down the middle by not going as far as banning everyone from going out... yet anyway and hoping the virus doesn't spread as badly as predicted.

Edited by leighavfc

My old man phoned me at 5:50am this morning worried about me going into work, he's told me that I can have their brand new laptop if it means I can work from home.

I'm gunna speak to the boss this morning but I still don't think I'd be able to.

Im not one to panic about this sort of stuff, what will be will be and all that.

Had to tell him that I wouldn't be going round to see him or me mom whilst this is all going on, he's pretty **** worried about it, and that ain't nice.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I can already see the headlines after this has all blown over. I predict every few weeks they'll try and terrify us all with news of a new, deadlier virus coming.

53 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Food banks only have so much. Soup kitchens too. People will need a survival check ASAP.

44 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

The only thing I will say about Boris advice is this... I'm not sure what else he can say tbh. It's incredibly difficult to get the right balance in a situation like this. If he closes everything now then people will lose money and jobs.. he hasn't done this he has advised people not to go.

In doing so though he has left it so that insurance companies won’t cover money loss for these businesses and in turn the staff lose out on money and have to look to Universal Credit. 

On another note in response to the chat above about keeping kids out of school - I don’t think any school is going to kick off about this under the circumstances - do what  you think is safest for your family. Surely surely surely closures will be announced soon?? Current advice is basically work from home if you can, don’t attend any social gatherings but send your kids into the largest social gathering going on in your community every day. Senseless!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kingman said:

An interesting conspiracy theory if you want: Impact of coronavirus on stock exchanges worldwide, within 1 month:

🇺🇸 -26%

🇬🇧 -26%

🇨🇦 -25%

🇧🇷 -27%

🇷🇺 -20%

🇦🇪 -19%

🇿🇦 -16%

🇦🇺 -24%

🇮🇳 -14%

🇸🇬 -17%

🇭🇰 -12%

🇰🇷 - 17%

Now, look at this: 🇨🇳 (China) + 0,3% China, creator of the pandemic, has miraculously "recovered", has almost no more cases of coronavirus. The world is now beginning to feel the effects and panic about the disease.

Who recovered first ?? China itself! It seems to be that this virus was a move by the Chinese government in response to the loss of the trade war with the United States.

The goal: to throw the world into recession !!! Is the scenario not clear?

They are already growing! China bought almost everything it devalued on the stock exchanges around the world ... with that the Chinese became owners of the global companies that are in China and without the money leaving China......🤔

I posted this a few pages back. Watch this and it does make you think

Â