Generic Virus Thread

villakram

9 hours ago, brommy said:

I expect them to close this week too or certainly on or before the Easter school holidays - a week on Friday. As for the sport side, official UK medical advice doesn't yet exclude banning mass gatherings/sports so why would kids teams shut down before deemed necessary?

My granddaughter did the junior parkrun as usual this morning. The only difference was that they'd banned high fives. If she's carrying and gives it to us we won't be pleased with our daughter. 

I have to pay balance of my deposit on my July holiday to Spain later this month (£600). The wife thinks that there’s a risk Tui won’t cancel it, but it won’t be worth going so we’ll lose the money. 

Edited by Genie

37 minutes ago, chappy said:

It’s ridiculous isn’t it. Whilst I don’t want to make it political it isn’t such a surprise under this government. I understand what they’re trying to do re. herd immunity but I think it’s incredibly irresponsible to effectively have schools as spreading centres; what about members of staff/pupils with underlying health conditions or with relatives with underlying health conditions - collateral damage? We will all carry on but it doesn’t sit right with me. I’ve been taking steps all weekend to reduce risk of contraction but will be plunged into a Petri dish back at work. The government need to take it out of individual school leader hands - they will be feeling incredible pressure from above to stay open but what if they do and then there’s a case confirmed in school - then you get parents saying ‘why didn’t you close?’ - it’s a no win situation.

I also get the point that school closures will cause inconvenience for parents who need to work. Surely there is some way around this - for people working for NHS, police etc there will be a way of ensuring childcare from skeleton staff - for others who are able to wfh, I think it’s inevitable that the kids will be around at some point soon... this is a global pandemic, it’s not like an inconvenient snow day! There is plenty of work that staff can do at home if schools are closed too - please don’t think of this as ‘lazy teachers want extra time off’!

You mentioned Snow Days (which I'll admit teachers love!!) so it's not as if closing a school for a few days/weeks destroys the economy. Snow days are rarely planned so cause far more issues. It wasn't that long ago schools closed for longish durations due to snow or flooding.

We're 'lucky' the two week holidays are approaching, people should already have childcare or holiday booked. If you tell everyone that we're closing two weeks earlier (this Friday) they have time to plan. If you don't, you send more infected children to more people. The current plan feels like load up all the kids with viruses together then distribute to the population! By just having a two week closure, the Easter break turns it in to a four week quarantine with minimal impact. However, wait and do it the other side of Easter and it'll be too late.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

We're 'lucky' the two week holidays are approaching, people should already have childcare or holiday booked.

Childcare by at-risk grandparents in many cases. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Childcare by at-risk grandparents in many cases. 

Absolutely. But that's already 'booked'. So do you wait until you've infected loads of kids and then send them off or send them NOW before they have a virus and the family are safer? 

5 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I mean it does sound like something Trump’s America would do. Still disgusting all the same. 

Genuinly pisses me off. Hope Germany just intervenes due to a national security paragraph.

On the other hand it's good news there's vaccine light in the tunnel 

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

I have to pay balance of my deposit on my July holiday to Spain later this month (£600). The wife thinks that there’s a risk Tui won’t cancel it, but it won’t be worth going so we’ll lose the money. 

My balance is due beginning of next Month with Emirates, supposed to be going to Dubai in June so it's not cheap, don't fancy losing 25% of that. 

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

Personally I would not pay the balance and lose the deposit. I was due to go to Lanzaorte yesterday morning at 8am. I decided not to go on Friday night as could sense what was coming and I have taken the hit and lost that money.

I have another holiday to Greece booked for late May which is now fully paid. Zero chance that will go ahead and I a feeling some very big travel companies are going to go bust, likewise many travel insurance companies, so I would not be in the least bit surprised if I lose all that money as well.

For me if you can get any refund on holidays/flights booked now I would take it even if it means losing 25% etc. Also if I had a balance to pay on a holiday I would not pay and lose the deposit. I understand that could be a few hundred pounds but I would not risk another penny. 

In fairness I think some of us losing a holiday or 2 or money on flights will pale into insignificance over the next few weeks/months.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

Mate don't be a weapon, 

You really do need to understand that this is going to affect people close and dear towards you. 

Give them and yourself the very best opportunity starting by changing the mindset and managing the risks robustly. 

Good luck.

It’s not the damned apocalypse ffs, people need to get a grip.

Just saw the Irish PM saying how he doesn't believe people are taking the coronavirus seriously enough following drunken scenes in Dublin last night and people gathering in large numbers in pubs.

I personally know plenty of people who aren't taking all this very seriously at all. The penny hasn't dropped that if we don't get on top of this then hundreds of thousands if not millions will die in this country and tens of millions world wide.

I 'd personally have no problem of a video being released of someone dying from this, struggling to catch their breath. Lets see what is going on in these over run Italian hospitals, with more ICU beds per capita than us, over run with Drs having to play god deciding who gets to go on a ventilator and who lives and who dies.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I’m booked to fly to the US in April with Virgin. No idea whether I’ll be getting any money back :( 

Can be rescheduled free of charge

To give you greater peace of mind with your upcoming travel plans, we've introduced a flexible no change fees policy

• for bookings made before 12 March, for travel between 1 March and 31 May 2020. Travel can be rebooked between 13 March 2020 and 31 December 2020.
  • for bookings made between 4 March and 31 March., travel can be rebooked between 4 March 2020 and 31 December 2020.

Theres more info on the link. If you want to cancel it should be covered by your travel insurance. If you don’t have travel insurance you should be able to buy an annual policy now that will cover the trip. If the flight is during the travel ban it may be that the airline will provide a refund anyway. We are in the same boat - hope it can be resolved!

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

My balance is due beginning of next Month with Emirates, supposed to be going to Dubai in June so it's not cheap, don't fancy losing 25% of that. 

This is just me speculating, but without governments giving emergency liqidity to these airlines I think a lot of them can go bankrupt before the summer. Obviously not the Emirates, but smaller highly leveraged ones are in big trouble. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This is just me speculating, but without governments giving emergency liqidity to these airlines I think a lot of them can go bankrupt before the summer. Obviously not the Emirates, but smaller highly leveraged ones are in big trouble. 

Yeah, that’s what we were talking about yesterday with massive state intervention in the economy. 

We’ll be paying this off as national debt for decades, but it will be necessary. 

• Like 1

What an absolute moron. The US in a nutshell.

Are we supposed to feel sorry for this guy? He's an ass.

On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States was announced, brothers Matt and Noah Colvin set out in a silver S.U.V. to pick up some hand sanitizer. Driving around Chattanooga, Tenn., they hit a Dollar Tree, then a Walmart, a Staples and a Home Depot. At each store, they cleaned out the shelves.

Over the next three days, Noah Colvin took a 1,300-mile road trip across Tennessee and into Kentucky, filling a U-Haul truck with thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer and thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes, mostly from “little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods,” his brother said. “The major metro areas were cleaned out.”

Matt Colvin stayed home near Chattanooga, preparing for pallets of even more wipes and sanitizer he had ordered, and starting to list them on Amazon. Mr. Colvin said he had posted 300 bottles of hand sanitizer and immediately sold them all for between $8 and $70 each, multiples higher than what he had bought them for. To him, “it was crazy money.” To many others, it was profiteering from a pandemic.

The next day, Amazon pulled his items and thousands of other listings for sanitizer, wipes and face masks. The company suspended some of the sellers behind the listings and warned many others that if they kept running up prices, they’d lose their accounts. EBay soon followed with even stricter measures, prohibiting any U.S. sales of masks or sanitizer.

Now, while millions of people across the country search in vain for hand sanitizer to protect themselves from the spread of the coronavirus, Mr. Colvin is sitting on 17,700 bottles of the stuff with little idea where to sell them.

“It’s been a huge amount of whiplash,” he said. “From being in a situation where what I’ve got coming and going could potentially put my family in a really good place financially to ‘What the heck am I going to do with all of this?’”

Hand sanitizer that Mr. Colvin is keeping in a storage locker.Noah Colvin, Mr. Colvin’s brother, moving boxes of hand sanitizer from his brother’s storage locker on Thursday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html?auth=login-email&login=email

Why the hell are the churches open? My local church absolutely rammed to the rafters with elderly people. This is the kind of things that will spread this and kill more than needs to be. We can all wash hands and take precautions but if idiots think going to church en masse is ok then what's the point? These are the most vulnerable people....  As much I hate no football or sport it was absolutely the right thing to do! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Just saw the Irish PM saying how he doesn't believe people are taking the coronavirus seriously enough following drunken scenes in Dublin last night and people gathering in large numbers in pubs.

I personally know plenty of people who aren't taking all this very seriously at all. The penny hasn't dropped that if we don't get on top of this then hundreds of thousands if not millions will die in this country and tens of millions world wide.

I 'd personally have no problem of a video being released of someone dying from this, struggling to catch their breath. Lets see what is going on in these over run Italian hospitals, with more ICU beds per capita than us, over run with Drs having to play god deciding who gets to go on a ventilator and who lives and who dies.

Sister in law was out in Sutton and then Town later on.... instead of being mindful she was moaning there was barely anybody out. 

She always has been a moronic, uneducated, selfish b***h

• Haha 1

Â