Generic Virus Thread

villakram

On 27/01/2020 at 09:34, bannedfromHandV said:

Governments and the media will make sure we all fear this, even though it will not impact any one of us particularly adversely.

This post has not aged well. 

Edit: it’s obviously not a tweet.. 🙄 

Edited by Awol

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I’ve been given no facts whatsoever but I’ve family in the forces and they’ve told me there is a lot of preparation of this nature and similar going on. Lots of extra training to.

Heard similar too. Again no info to back it up with either but they are being primed to step in in some sort of capacity. As expected though really... s**t has started getting a little real over the last few days with the panic buying etc.

1 minute ago, leighavfc said:

Worrying, I've heard a few people say similar. I work for the family business (small manufacturing company). Fortunately bar me, my mom and dad we only employ one other person as the rest is done by machinery. We have had a massively bumper year so far and are not concerned as yet as we supply across many industries and have still got plenty of orders coming in. Many of our customers as of yet have not had or seeing problems yet either, but we will be keeping constant tabs on this to be on the safe side. Of course all this can change very quickly.

Really do feel worry for those who will get this virus and be losing jobs. Very very testing times ahead for many. Again I just hope the plan of action works somehow.......

I would say that the whole world is going to ‘drop’...so there will a big stimulus similar to those which followed ww2 after (?) this calms down. There will be a lot more coming in the way of income supplements in the short and medium term....there’s no way that every country can just write off so many people’s incomes. So there will be difficulties, some very hard, but this aspect won’t be allowed to get as bad as it currently looks, in my view. 

• Like 1

Just now, leighavfc said:

Heard similar too. Again no info to back it up with either but they are being primed to step in in some sort of capacity. As expected though really... s**t has started getting a little real over the last few days with the panic buying etc.

Yes I mean it’s obvious they will be making preparations for areas to be subject to martial law IF things evolve to worst case scenarios....not as frightening as it sounds it’s only like the U.S using National Guard.

But my sense is that the majority of things will be in ensuring transport functions, deploying camp/ bed/ medical facilities, ( and maybe the more morbid aspects) and all that goes with these things.

Im a little reassured by it. Which helps !

• Like 1

Just now, terrytini said:

Yes I mean it’s obvious they will be making preparations for areas to be subject to martial law IF things evolve to worst case scenarios....not as frightening as it sounds it’s only like the U.S using National Guard.

But my sense is that the majority of things will be in ensuring transport functions, deploying camp/ bed/ medical facilities, ( and maybe the more morbid aspects) and all that goes with these things.

Im a little reassured by it. Which helps !

Yes agreed mate, that's what I meant without explaining myself properly. Hopefully we just need them to help keep things running as smooth as possible and not the Martial law side of things! I'm like you, if anything this just helps me worry a little less. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Yes. The panic buying will almost certainly pass but can cause a lot of fear and worry that it’s Armageddon when pictures first show up. It’ll calm down. 
More than panic buying I’d expect the military to have an input into looking after distribution areas and links. 
Again, in my view it’s welcome.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Yes. The panic buying will almost certainly pass but can cause a lot of fear and worry that it’s Armageddon when pictures first show up. It’ll calm down. 
More than panic buying I’d expect the military to have an input into looking after distribution areas and links. 

My local Tesco/Morrisons hardly anything left so stopped at local Nisa on way back to get the lotto and got everything i needed! 

All the shelves were full and no queuing up either so i treated myself to a Terrys chocolate orange or 3 :D 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kingman said:

My local Tesco/Morrisons hardly anything left so stopped at local Nisa on way back to get the lotto and got everything i needed! 

All the shelves were full and no queuing up either so i treated myself to a Terrys chocolate orange or 3 :D 

Yes I’m afraid any willpower Ive had to moderate my eating recently has gone out the window. Sod it !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also rumoured that there will be an announcement on schools coming later on this week. Sounds like schools are uploading work to be done online at home and packages with resources in to be handed out. I have heard this today from 3 separate teachers that me and my partner know.

Be prepared for more time with the kids everybody 😬

Was thinking about work. If anybody contracted it through work, I.e they deal with people every day. I myself would be expecting full pay not the measly sick pay they offer. If I'm willing still to work in say a retail environment, they can pay me in full if I have to isolate myself because of it.

Anybody on here got it, or think they might have it?

1 hour ago, Awol said:

I heard if you rub your belly with brown paper and then bury it under a tree in the garden, in 3 weeks, you’ll be pregnant with twins.

Where do people get this hokey nonsense from? 

Think it started at sarsons!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

Totally, flattening the curve means containment, testing, tracking etc. The herd immunity bullshit is reckless and playing with people's lives. The idea that they are reducing a second peak by allowing the virus to infect (kill) more people first is just insane. 

It buys them time though - not in terms of lives saved - but enough people will thinks it's a plan

1 minute ago, leighavfc said:

Also rumoured that there will be an announcement on schools coming later on this week. Sounds like schools are uploading work to be done online at home and packages with resources in to be handed out. I have heard this today from 3 separate teachers that me and my partner know.

Be prepared for more time with the kids everybody 😬

They need to be very prudent around the elderly and vulnerable or what will happen is what is happening in Italy: young people or children are carriers/spreaders will visit grandparents who will get the disease, This is the facts of the situation. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I disagree the govts approach so far is self regulation - you want/need rationing do it yourself tescos ....you need security - hire it....

Don't expect the state to bail you out !

3 minutes ago, Kingman said:

They need to be very prudent around the elderly and vulnerable or what will happen is what is happening in Italy: young people or children are carriers/spreaders will visit grandparents who will get the disease, This is the facts of the situation. 

I totally agree with it too! was just tongue in cheek about spending more time with the kids.  

Worryingly one of the parents of a child in my sons year (not same class) is showing symptoms and is as we speak on the phone to 111....

Edited by leighavfc
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Awol said:

This post has not aged well. 

Edit: it’s obviously not a tweet.. 🙄 

Well it hasn’t yet impacted any one of us particularly adversely has it? 

But yes, seems more serious than I obviously considered it initially, though I appear to remain far less concerned than a number of people.

Must admit Boris Johnsons 

"Many more families will lose loved ones before there time"

Wasn't the most inspiring crisis speech - he should be reading up on Churchill s 

"We will fight them on the beaches " words 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Must admit Boris Johnsons 

"Many more families will lose loved ones before there time"

Wasn't the most inspiring crisis speech - he should be reading up on Churchill s 

"We will fight them on the beaches " words 

For a man inspired by Churchill, it was an appalling speech. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Awol said:

Quite a lot of links to the data/modelling underpinning the UK approach. Right or wrong, it’s not being done off the cuff. 

Such groups are only ever present in an advisory role and have no power, especially in cabinets so dominated by the PM. The UK will get there, insurance land will start tapping shoulders etc., soon wondering about liability.

Â