Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Spain have reported just one new case today. Does that lend a bit of weight to the idea that what we're doing might work?

I'm not 100% sure I've understood our approach, but I think we're allowing infection to reach a certain level then stopping it through enforced quarantine allowing the health services to recover before a second wave. 

The Spain number suggest that might work (at least until the second wave of infection.)

This guy thinks similar

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Every time I look at the news, things have ramped up considerably. I probably have enough food for a couple of weeks, but I'm starting to wonder if it's enough.

Food supply is the one thing I'm not worried about tbf. 

41 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I literally feel your pain as I’m currently suffering from a herniated disc. The only difference being that Ibuprofen is better for it. I’d happily just use paracetamol but given that’s being ransacked as well, I’ve now got no pain management options.  

Yeah, it's odd. My first instinct was to use ibuprofen, as I find it far more effective than paracetamol for most things (headaches, etc.) - and I'd rather save the p/mol for possible COV-19. But in the case of the sciatica, the ibuprofen doesn't seem to touch it, while the p/mol does. 

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Every time I look at the news, things have ramped up considerably. I probably have enough food for a couple of weeks, but I'm starting to wonder if it's enough.

There will be more than enough food and toilet roll etc, if everyone just keeps shopping normally and resist the urge to stockpile. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

There will be more than enough food and toilet roll etc, if everyone just keeps shopping normally and resist the urge to stockpile. 

But other people are stockpiling. So maybe I should!🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, it's odd. My first instinct was to use ibuprofen, as I find it far more effective than paracetamol for most things (headaches, etc.) - and I'd rather save the p/mol for possible COV-19. But in the case of the sciatica, the ibuprofen doesn't seem to touch it, while the p/mol does. 

OT but my doc put me onto soluble aspirin as my go to pain relief of choice  ,have to say it works for me far more effectively than any other pain relief tablets i've taken (migraines excepted where i have to take co-proxamol type tablets )  ..

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

For sciatica have you tried using a TENS machine? Careful with Ibuprofen, I was taking ibuprofen, paracetamol and gabapentin for pain relief, ended up giving myself duodenal ulcers! Case of the meds making things far worse! I now rely on my TENS machine and paracetamol for pain relief.

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

OT but my doc put me onto soluble aspirin as my go to pain relief of choice  ,have to say it works for me far more effectively than any other pain relief tablets i've taken (migraines excepted where i have to take co-proxamol type tablets )  ..

Good point. I have a few aspirins, I might try them. Incidentally, aspirin's a NSAID, isn't it? What's the advice re. COV-19? 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Good point. I have a few aspirins, I might try them. Incidentally, aspirin's a NSAID, isn't it? What's the advice re. COV-19? 

Just curious. Wouldn't ibuprophen be more effective for your pains than paracetamol? 

I have a lot of tension, muscular pains and my neck gets better by ibuprophen. Paracetamol hardly gives me any comfort. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Just now, bielesibub said:

For sciatica have you tried using a TENS machine? Careful with Ibuprofen, I was taking ibuprofen, paracetamol and gabapentin for pain relief, ended up giving myself duodenal ulcers! Case of the meds making things far worse! I now rely on my TENS machine and paracetamol for pain relief.

Yep. The TENS machine is good - but only while I'm using it - five minutes after I switch off, the pain returns. TBH, it's not a huge problem while I'm up and moving around. And distraction helps. It's just nighttime that's bad - and as you suggest, a combo of TENS and one dose of p/mol gets me through, albeit with broken sleep. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Just curious. Wouldn't ibuprophen be more effective for your pains than paracetamol? 

I have a lot of tension, muscular pains and my neck gets better by ibuprophen. Paracetamol hardly gives me any comfort. 

See my post above. In all other cases my experience is exactly the same as yours - but not with the sciatica, where some unknown reason the p/mol works and the brufen doesn't. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

See my post above. In all other cases my experience is exactly the same as yours - but not with the sciatica, where some unknown reason the p/mol works and the brufen doesn't. 

How about cortison? I know it's a bother to get shots, but for some stuff they last a long time? 

Some advice I've not seen elsewhere from France

French authorities have warned that widely used over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs may worsen the coronavirus.

The country’s health minister, Olivier Véran, who is a qualified doctor and neurologist, tweeted on Saturday: “The taking of anti-inflammatories [ibuprofen, cortisone … ] could be a factor in aggravating the infection. In case of fever, take paracetamol. If you are already taking anti-inflammatory drugs, ask your doctor’s advice.”

Guardian

1 minute ago, bielesibub said:

I don't understand the bog roll panic, the last thing on my mind at the moment is how clean my bum hole is going to be!

That bastion of middle class wankerdom Mumsnet I think kicked that one off

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â