Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Hundreds of scientists have written to the government urging them to introduce tougher measures to tackle the spread of Covid-19.

In an open letter, a group of 229 scientists from UK universities say the government's current approach will put the NHS under additional stress and "risk many more lives than necessary".

The signatories also criticised comments made by Sir Patrick Vallance, the government's chief scientific adviser, about managing the spread of the infection to make the population immune.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51892402

39 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Todays latest from DR Campbell... Major contradictions with The WHO and British Government! 

I have to say I love Dr John Campbell’s daily updates. Proactive NOT reactive! By the people, of the people, for the people - some of my favourite Dr JC quotes 😂

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Hell has frozen over

Exactly This!.. Apart from the elderly and vulnerable, The arrogant and foolish will also suffer!, 

Don't be a weapon and Die of Ignorance! Prevention is better than cure so be prepared,

Fail to prepare then prepare to fail. Good luck everyone. 

For everyone's safety. A few observations from my travels in Spain. Serious shit now.

Take precautions 

Wash hands until they have never been so clean. Then wash again.

If you cough, sneeze and even want to scratch your face. DONT! Use tissue and dispose.

I've avoided anyone showing mild symptoms. At the moment my ears are tuned to any coughs. Trust me, this is the starting symptom.

If possible avoid any travel. I'm feckin pissed off with myself because I travelled on Friday. It ain't worth it.

Dont buy toilet paper. Just wash your ass in shower!!

Look after your less able friends and family.

I've pre warned my elderly parents that they wont see me for 14 days after I get back. They are prepared and self sufficient

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Mother in law has sent this to my wife via WhatsApp and posted it on facebook

spacer.pngWe can tell the scientists to stand down.

I heard if you rub your belly with brown paper and then bury it under a tree in the garden, in 3 weeks, you’ll be pregnant with twins.

Where do people get this hokey nonsense from? 

I think the thing I am worrying about more and more is the state the country is going to be in financially over the coming months. I've accepted that many of us will likely get it or will for sure know people who will. That's just the nature of it unfortunately, I dont see how any plans are going to stop the spread enough, we all just need to be on top of ourselves and those around us and hope that this really does have some sort of effect.

Plenty of people losing jobs already, no doubt many more will over the coming weeks. Town centres and city's look empty which wont be good for retail, entertainment and bars and restaurants. Then we see another set of problems arising of course. I just hope we can do enough as individuals and familys to really stop this from spreading as badly as it has elsewhere. 

Anybody lost jobs as of yet or deeply concerned they are about too? 

Edited by leighavfc

Here in Barcelona things got real on Thursday. Offices started sending people to work from home en masse and a state of emergency was declared yesterday. Barring supermarkets, chemists, food shops and tabacconists (on the essential list here, of course) pretty much everything was closed today. Streets deserted, all feels quite eerie. Today it was announced that from Monday you won't be allowed out other to shop for essentials or go to work (only people in jobs that are providing essential services).

Unbelievable that there's no direction from the UK government given they have the benefit of being a few weeks behind the likes of Italy and Spain in terms of contagion. Johnson's legacy will leave him alongside the likes of Pol Pot and Idi Amin at this rate.

A nice show of solidarity with the sanitary services here just now with everyone out on their balconies applauding their efforts.

2 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

I think the thing I am worrying about more and more is the state the country is going to be in financially over the coming months.

Agreed, probably keeping many people in Whitehall awake too. That said, it *could* be a transformative moment. 

Suspending our collective cynicism for a minute... IF we are the one country that’s got the response correct and the UK is largely virus proof by late summer, we’ll be one heck of an attractive destination for FDI as the rest of the world struggles with a persistent outbreak - quarantine cycle.

Reckon we’re also looking at massive state investment in the economy, seeding and priming start ups in the new industries. 

Things are likely to be quite different in any case, whether we’ve got this right or wrong. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

Agreed, probably keeping many people in Whitehall awake too. That said, it *could* be a transformative moment. 

Suspending our collective cynicism for a minute... IF we are the one country that’s got the response correct and the UK is largely virus proof by late summer, we’ll be one heck of an attractive destination for FDI as the rest of the world struggles with a persistent outbreak - quarantine cycle.

Reckon we’re also looking at massive state investment in the economy, seeding and priming start ups in the new industries. 

Things are likely to be quite different in any case, whether we’ve got this right or wrong. 

I'm no expert but that looks like a fanciful notion from the outside. I predict that vaccines will be available by the summer, Israel in particular seem confident.

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Israeli-scientists-In-three-weeks-we-will-have-coronavirus-vaccine-619101

Israeli scientists are on the cusp of developing the first vaccine against the novel coronavirus, according to Science and Technology Minister Ofir Akunis. If all goes as planned, the vaccine could be ready within a few weeks and available in 90 days, according to a release.

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro

10 minutes ago, Awol said:

Yeah I agree, the government have either got this completely wrong or are seeing it from a different angle and have a better plan... I'm not sure of which at this stage. Although judging by the rest of Europes actions would suggest that we are alone in our opinion/plan. There is so much conflicting information out there it's like a minefield. 

As somebody said earlier in the thread, the first country who slows this down the quickest and returns to some sort of normality will be massively ahead financially. Obviously there are going to be big problems for Airlines, Holiday providers, Retail, Entertainment sectors... question is what other industries/sectors will suffer too? 

20 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Anybody lost jobs as of yet or deeply concerned they are about too? 

Two places I went today that usually have 4 or 5 staff each, both had 2 staff. So that’s about 6 people that didn’t get a Saturday shift. My mates shop has closed for a few days, so he hasn’t needed the 2 people that work in there.

I’m sure Landlords for those staff not getting shifts will be cool about the rent.

My office have taken on 2 staff that are due to start at the end of this month - we’re reviewing that on Monday.

Re. Herd immunity....

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-13/china-japan-korea-coronavirus-reinfection-test-positive?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

Three days later, though, Wang tested positive for the coronavirus again. He was re-hospitalized and his neighbors were locked down once more. His current condition is unknown.

Wang, whose full name has not been disclosed for privacy reasons, is one of more than 100 reported cases of Chinese patients who have been released from hospitals as survivors of the new coronavirus — only to test positive for it a second time in the bewildering math of this mysterious illness.

what if there is no immunity?

Edited by astondalston
Add excerpt

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Well hello my two closest supermarkets. There's a Tesco too but I've refused to shop in there for over two decades over a maggots in my mince episode

Tesco been skimping on the maggots AGAIN ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Two places I went today that usually have 4 or 5 staff each, both had 2 staff. So that’s about 6 people that didn’t get a Saturday shift. My mates shop has closed for a few days, so he hasn’t needed the 2 people that work in there.

I’m sure Landlords for those staff not getting shifts will be cool about the rent.

My office have taken on 2 staff that are due to start at the end of this month - we’re reviewing that on Monday.

Worrying, I've heard a few people say similar. I work for the family business (small manufacturing company). Fortunately bar me, my mom and dad we only employ one other person as the rest is done by machinery. We have had a massively bumper year so far and are not concerned as yet as we supply across many industries and have still got plenty of orders coming in. Many of our customers as of yet have not had or seeing problems yet either, but we will be keeping constant tabs on this to be on the safe side. Of course all this can change very quickly.

Really worry for those who be losing jobs and possibly the virus too. Very very testing times ahead for many. Again I just hope the plan of action works somehow.......

Edited by leighavfc

Just now, markavfc40 said:

Telling over 70's to stay in makes perfect sense. Good to see they will requisition private hospitals and be using hotels as temporary hospitals. Hopefully these actions will be confirmed soon.

I’ve been given no facts whatsoever but I’ve family in the forces and they’ve told me there is a lot of preparation of this nature and similar going on. Lots of extra training to.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, astondalston said:

Re. Herd immunity....

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-13/china-japan-korea-coronavirus-reinfection-test-positive?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

Three days later, though, Wang tested positive for the coronavirus again. He was re-hospitalized and his neighbors were locked down once more. His current condition is unknown.

Wang, whose full name has not been disclosed for privacy reasons, is one of more than 100 reported cases of Chinese patients who have been released from hospitals as survivors of the new coronavirus — only to test positive for it a second time in the bewildering math of this mysterious illness.

what if there is no immunity?

Worrying this... I'm not sure where I heard the immunity thing from. But sounds to me that its premature to say there is immunity to say least. More concerning if this is true would be that this would suggest the governments plan is well off the mark!

Edited by leighavfc

Â