Generic Virus Thread

villakram

57 minutes ago, KHV said:

I wonder if there would have been this much chaos if this had happened before the digital and social media age

Im guessing not

So far 0.002% of the global population have been confirmed as having it

Hardly shit your pants and buy everything in the supermarket time 🤔

Look to Italy. The doctors have been ordered to not help those over 60. Either they ride it out or they die. But they have to prioritize those under 60 because of the massive mismatch between sick people and beds at hospitals and resources to help. If that is something we are comfortable with, fine. But I am not comfortable with letting my parents or other people end up without help if they should get the virus. So take this shit seriously.

Edited by DeepDish
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I speak as a teacher and can guarantee that no-one knows what's going on!! There is absolutely no guarantee or signs that schools will close at all, never mind within a set timeframe. Local government are refusing to advise and judgement falls to school leaders, although they are being told there is no reason to close and, further down the chain of command, teachers and TAs are being 'reminded' that they should use own judgement before self-isolating (another words, stay in work!)

However, yes, plans are being drawn up for closures and providing work for children but this is purely due to internal decision making and not external advice. There is zero external advice. As usual, schools are trying to work out what the government want us to do without them actually telling us.

I work in a Primary School. We now get the little-uns to use hand sanitiser a various intervals throughout the day and.... Well that's it. They still run up to hug you, they still want high fives, they pick their noses, cough and sneeze all over everything  and generally act like little carrier monkeys do!! Clubs are still on, mass assemblies take place regularly and everyone gathers on the playground to pick them up and drop them off. Second one person gets ill, schools are perfect to spread it to everyone.

The home school packs we'll be creating, possibly pointlessly, are largely wasted on this age group anyway but we prepare. And every teacher in the country will be doing that this week. But don't for one second think that's because there's a plan, there isn't.

It’s ridiculous isn’t it. Whilst I don’t want to make it political it isn’t such a surprise under this government. I understand what they’re trying to do re. herd immunity but I think it’s incredibly irresponsible to effectively have schools as spreading centres; what about members of staff/pupils with underlying health conditions or with relatives with underlying health conditions - collateral damage? We will all carry on but it doesn’t sit right with me. I’ve been taking steps all weekend to reduce risk of contraction but will be plunged into a Petri dish back at work. The government need to take it out of individual school leader hands - they will be feeling incredible pressure from above to stay open but what if they do and then there’s a case confirmed in school - then you get parents saying ‘why didn’t you close?’ - it’s a no win situation.

I also get the point that school closures will cause inconvenience for parents who need to work. Surely there is some way around this - for people working for NHS, police etc there will be a way of ensuring childcare from skeleton staff - for others who are able to wfh, I think it’s inevitable that the kids will be around at some point soon... this is a global pandemic, it’s not like an inconvenient snow day! There is plenty of work that staff can do at home if schools are closed too - please don’t think of this as ‘lazy teachers want extra time off’!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Mate don't be a weapon, 

You really do need to understand that this is going to affect people close and dear towards you. 

Give them and yourself the very best opportunity starting by changing the mindset and managing the risks robustly. 

Good luck.

It’s the selfish morons panic buying everything in sight that’s going to kill people

How are pensioners meant to survive if they can’t order anything to be delivered or get to the shops easily

When they get to the shops there is little to buy 

I’m convinced 90% of the people who are stockpiling are not doing it to help others

Running into Costco and spending £300 quid is not helping anyone

A complete lack of common sense is the biggest threat

1 minute ago, KHV said:

Running into Costco and spending £300 quid is not helping anyone

A complete lack of common sense is the biggest threat

Did you ever think those people who plan to stay at home for the next few weeks might also plan to buy goods for their less mobile relatives and friends?

Families are in constant communication with each other - my family and my wife's family plan to stay in and are helping each other with any shortages we might face. I suggest you do the same because once half of Tesco staff catch this shit you might struggle to buy some rice for your grandma.

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Did you ever think those people who plan to stay at home for the next few weeks might also plan to buy goods for their less mobile relatives and friends?

Families are in constant communication with each other - my family and my wife's family plan to stay in and are helping each other with any shortages we might face. I suggest you do the same because once half of Tesco staff catch this shit you might struggle to buy some rice for your grandma.

No doubt some people are

No doubt some people just are not considerate

I don’t find there is much much consideration for others these days

Cancelled my trip to Australia today due to the 14 day self-isolation they imposed overnight. Rebooking for November.

Kind of glad it's been taken out of my hands, I have a feeling it's going to get a lot worse over here shortly and we would have had difficulties getting back into the country.

Hopefully it's all settled down by November and we can enjoy our holiday properly.

This thread has been a massive help in the last few day's, thanks to all you guy's for explaining things a lot better than the people running this country.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KHV said:

No doubt some people are

No doubt some people just are not considerate

I don’t find there is much much consideration for others these days

I'll give you an example - I know of someone who flew abroad, 2k miles for a few days just to make sure they are ok and have rations. They came back yesterday.

I'm not sure a single person is inconsiderate when it comes to this, if anything everybody is looking after their loved ones. Most people have families, less fortunate have a single relative, and even less have a friend or somoene that know. Trust me, when the time comes they will help each other.

If anything, I am confident we are yet to see the biggest wave of communal support the world has ever seen. Have you seen people helping each other in Italy? Whole communities sitting on balconies together to stay stronger.

And that is the only good thing that's come out of this.

Just now, wilko154 said:

Cancelled my trip to Australia today due to the 14 day self-isolation they imposed overnight. Rebooking for November.

Kind of glad it's been taken out of my hands, I have a feeling it's going to get a lot worse over here shortly and we would have had difficulties getting back into the country.

Hopefully it's all settled down by November and we can enjoy our holiday properly.

This thread has been a massive help in the last few day's, thanks to all you guy's for explaining things a lot better than the people running this country.

I’m in Spain at the moment. Flying back tonight. I’m glad I managed to get my trip in just before 

I was very lucky indeed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

I'll give you an example - I know of someone who flew abroad, 2k miles for a few days just to make sure they are ok and have rations. They came back yesterday.

I'm not sure a single person is inconsiderate when it comes to this, if anything everybody is looking after their loved ones. Most people have families, less fortunate have a single relative, and even less have a friend or somoene that know. Trust me, when the time comes they will help each other.

If anything, I am confident we are yet to see the biggest wave of communal support the world has ever seen. Have you seen people helping each other in Italy? Whole communities sitting on balconies together to stay stronger.

And that is the only good thing that's come out of this.

Maybe I am being a negative nelly 🤔

I hope it does bring people together and we can get a sense of community back

That has been something sadly disappearing over the last 20/30 years 👍

• Like 1

Just now, KHV said:

Maybe I am being a negative nelly 🤔

I hope it does bring people together and we can get a sense of community back

That has been something sadly disappearing over the last 20/30 years 👍

Let's stay strong - best of luck to you and your close ones!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

Plan to secure your own family first, then look at what you can do for the wider community. 

I’m not local to this area but my neighbour next door is a local fireman and knows everyone. We’re building a whatsapp group of all the coffin dodgers in our little area and a spreadsheet of contact emails and landline numbers. 

If the quarantine of the oldies kicks in  we’ll be keeping in touch and doing what we can to support and keep them fed. 

Don’t wait to be told what to do by a TV, use your initiative and act. 

Fantastic stuff 👌

3 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I’m booked to fly to the US in April with Virgin. No idea whether I’ll be getting any money back :( 

Same policy as Emirates I believe who I have booked with.

Emirates refund policy is a 25% charge of the cost, but they are offering a no charge change of flight. We are going to use this to rebook the trip.

Â