Generic Virus Thread

villakram

France is warning people not to take anti inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen as it may make Covid-19 symptoms much worse.

Anti-inflammatories may aggravate Covid-19, France advises

French minister says patients should take paracetamol rather than ibuprofen or cortisone 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/anti-inflammatory-drugs-may-aggravate-coronavirus-infection

These people fighting over bog rolls in Morrison and emptying out shelves of pasta and tinned stuff - the ones that are being called names all over social media - are they right?

Given that much of Europe is housebound and that the government here is talking about imposing a stay at home policy on the over 70's for months - are these the people that are going to end up eating well and not standing in the shower with a flannel wondering how they're going to do this?

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

These people fighting over bog rolls in Morrison and emptying out shelves of pasta and tinned stuff - the ones that are being called names all over social media - are they right?

Given that much of Europe is housebound and that the government here is talking about imposing a stay at home policy on the over 70's for months - are these the people that are going to end up eating well and not standing in the shower with a flannel wondering how they're going to do this?

Yeah, unfortunately there seems to be a predictability to the way this unfolds in each country.

It begins with a few people looking ahead at the numbers and drawing the conclusion that things will be quite bad, quite quickly, and for quite a long time.

The majority of people dismiss this as scaremongering. And then annoyingly it starts to break out along existing cultural and political lines - it’s frustrating (IMO) how many people see ideology at play here, when really left and right have both successfully ballsed this up in various countries. 

The bigger issue it seems to me is simply that the public don’t like to believe in the existence of things until they have seen them with their own eyes. That’s fine for most things, but not for this. By the time people comprehend the scale of this they will have made all the mistakes.

I’m not actually sure the govt could have done much different. The public appetite isn’t there for dealing with this properly. The countries that have handled it well have tended to be those that have experienced SARS or observed the Wuhan outbreak at close range.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hippo said:

Must admit Boris Johnsons 

"Many more families will lose loved ones before there time"

Wasn't the most inspiring crisis speech - he should be reading up on Churchill s 

"We will fight them on the beaches " words 

Are you kidding me?

Im not a fan of Boris as much as the next guy, and I think that the government strategy might be very poor, but he should make it vary clear that if you don't look after yourself, you might die. It's not a case of fighting it from people's perspective. It's a case of stay home, understand that if you don't your family members will suffer, and face the harsh truth. 

Why people aren't doing so and "taking it easy" while countries are closing down borders is beyond me. If the government isn't doing anything, how about regular people start to do so?

Look at those idiots:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51888114

Shopping in Oxford Street? Bars and shops still open?

Are you joking? Every one of those idiots could catch it, pass it on to next 3 people, then next 3 etc and kill someone older and volnourable because they had to have a Macdonald's and a selfie with London eye. Idiots.

If anything, I for one agree with Boris on his statement. People will die. But that's because we are selfish and irresponsible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I disagree the govts approach so far is self regulation - you want/need rationing do it yourself tescos ....you need security - hire it....

Don't expect the state to bail you out !

I hope people thinking that way are in a tiny tiny tiny minority.

38 minutes ago, Kingman said:

France is warning people not to take anti inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen as it may make Covid-19 symptoms much worse.

Anti-inflammatories may aggravate Covid-19, France advises

French minister says patients should take paracetamol rather than ibuprofen or cortisone 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/anti-inflammatory-drugs-may-aggravate-coronavirus-infection

Nobody with respiratory illnesses takes/ should take ibuprofen unless they’ve medical advice to that effect it aggravates all breathing issues.

• Like 2

I'm in a whatsapp group with a bundle of people planning a St Patrick's day drink tomorrow - a couple of them will be late as they've got kids football to attend in the morning and one is playing rugby. I'm quite surprised by that - I mean, a drink is a drink, but I'd have thought kids football would have stopped and surely no one is playing rugby?

33 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Trying my best not to see politics in this, but the Minister for Health having information behind a paywall is disgusting.

8 minutes ago, penguin said:

Not paywalled for me.

Tbf, as per Penguin's post, it doesn't look as though this article is behind their paywall.

Edit: It looks as though it may originally have been. I guess they've removed the restriction.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm in a whatsapp group with a bundle of people planning a St Patrick's day drink tomorrow - a couple of them will be late as they've got kids football to attend in the morning and one is playing rugby. I'm quite surprised by that - I mean, a drink is a drink, but I'd have thought kids football would have stopped and surely no one is playing rugby?

Why would they stop school sports before stopping school? School, especially in the younger years, is closely physical, with or without sports.

Steve Lawler (well known Brummie DJ) has just confirmed he has it. Says it's pretty much feels like the normal flu and he hasn't experienced anything worse than that. Hopefully if this is the case generally it's just a case of stopping it spreading to the weak and vulnerable as much as we can.

EDIT my bad he has symptoms and not confirmed by looks of it!

Edited by leighavfc

4 minutes ago, brommy said:

Why would they stop school sports before stopping school? School, especially in the younger years, is closely physical, with or without sports.

I guess there are two different things - firstly neither of these are school sports - the football is your standard Saturday league stuff for kids and the rugby is for adults. Secondly, I personally think it's appalling that our schools are still open and I'd expect them to close at some point this week. 

There was a woman on the radio today, she's a single mom in pretty poor health - she knows her kids can go to school and that there's a chance they'll get infected - she also knows that it is extremely unlikely that for them the infection will be any worse than a bit of flu - but she's terrified she'll catch it from them and leave them orphaned - she's petrified of her own kids - that can't be right surely?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Hopefully if this is the case generally it's just a case of stopping it spreading to the weak and vulnerable as much as we can and the "fit and healthy" doing as being told to do.

Indeed - for most of us, it's pretty much a matter of keep washing your hands and if you get any symptoms try not to kill your parents/grandparents.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I guess there are two different things - firstly neither of these are school sports - the football is your standard Saturday league stuff for kids and the rugby is for adults. Secondly, I personally think it's appalling that our schools are still open and I'd expect them to close at some point this week. 

Fairly certain that announcement will be coming this week. Plenty of prep work going on at schools for this apparently. Friday is the day I keep being told they will be shut from.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, penguin said:

Not paywalled for me.

Extent of the information appears to be “keep washing your hands”.

19 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Tbf, as per Penguin's post, it doesn't look as though this article is behind their paywall.

Edit: It looks as though it may originally have been. I guess they've removed the restriction.

They’ve changed it - you don’t even have to accept cookies now.

The extent of the info is irrelevant, it was a Minister of State potentially having something life saving to say - but you had to pay to find out. Fixed now, but **** me what a poor thing not to have thought through.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I expect them to close this week too or certainly on or before the Easter school holidays - a week on Friday. As for the sport side, official UK medical advice doesn't yet exclude banning mass gatherings/sports so why would kids teams shut down before deemed necessary?

Â