Erling Braut Håland

mikeyp102

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They’re only 4 points off the total they had at this point last season. They’re on title winning form, it’s just Arsenal have gone absolutely bananas. 

To replicate what they did last season, Man City would need to win 15 and draw 3 of their remaining 18 games.

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

To replicate what they did last season, Man City would need to win 15 and draw 3 of their remaining 18 games.

They’ve won 14 and drawn 3 of their first 20 games. It’s not a huge difference. 

The point is they’re on title winning form (there or thereabouts) but it’s Arsenal who are making it look worse. If arsenal werent doing what they’re doing City would be 6 points clear at the top and nobody would be noticing

Just now, Stevo985 said:

They’ve won 14 and drawn 3 of their first 20 games. It’s not a huge difference. 

The point is they’re on title winning form (there or thereabouts) but it’s Arsenal who are making it look worse. If arsenal werent doing what they’re doing City would be 6 points clear at the top and nobody would be noticing

They've dropped points in 6 of their first 18 games including 3 losses - last season they dropped in 9 games overall (3 losses).  It's not a massive difference, but it's a fairly decent sized one at the very elite level which is where Man City operate.  It's just nice to have another side alongside (ahead of) them.

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They've dropped points in 6 of their first 18 games including 3 losses - last season they dropped in 9 games overall (3 losses).  It's not a massive difference, but it's a fairly decent sized one at the very elite level which is where Man City operate.  It's just nice to have another side alongside (ahead of) them.

Yeah it’s a difference. But the OP was suggesting (imo) that they’re miles off the pace despite having Haaland. 

I was just trying to show that a big part of that is Arsenal’s anazing results rather than City’s bad ones. 

(and on a deeper note, City’s dropping of points is more down to their defence than their attack)

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah it’s a difference. But the OP was suggesting (imo) that they’re miles off the pace despite having Haaland. 

I was just trying to show that a big part of that is Arsenal’s anazing results rather than City’s bad ones. 

(and on a deeper note, City’s dropping of points is more down to their defence than their attack)

You're right,  I was suggesting they are off the pace despite having Haaland.

Maybe not miles off it, but considering he was the missing piece and many expected them to go up another level with said missing piece,  the fact that they've gone backwards (relatively significantly compared with their previous season), is a surprising regression.

Arsenal are beating the teams that City aren't, so Arsenal's shock unreal form, whilst very impressive, doesn't completely justify them being comfortably ahead of City on its own. It needs City to be doing worse against the same teams Arsenal are beating.

City's defence is definitely struggling more, but how much of that is down to a different style of play they're adopting to accommodate Haaland? Is he actually making them worse than they were?

Will they get used to him, and then, when they have, go beyond the levels they were at previously..   probably, but for now they seem to be (relative to previous years and relative to Arsenal) struggling with him.  Which just sounds so bizarre when he's scoring as much as he is. 

4 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Just looking at historical data, he'd have already won the golden boot in 92/93,  97/98, 98/99, 2000/01, 2001/02, 06/07, 08/09, 10/11, 18/19, 19/20, 20/21 and 21/22.   He'd have tied for the win in another four seasons too.  

Scored more then our entire team put together so far this season. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends the season scoring more than half the league have.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He can certainly find space, he's like a magician at it. I bet 50% of his goals are from rebounds, balls falling to him, rather than a pass/cross that actually gets to him.

I'm not sure I even like him, although I guess he's like your best mate who's got the perfect life, you actually hate him for it, but have to give him all due credit.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Imagine how good he'd be in a team that played to his strengths rather than just passing sideways all the time. 

How do you mean?   He's got 39 goals in 36 appearances.  His best ever is 41 in 41 with Dortmund, he's going to smash that record this season.  He's got 28 in the league which already is a career high (previous best was 27 in 2020/21 with Dortmund) so how are Manchester City failing him? They create chances at a higher rate than any other club, they've generated a higher XG than anybody else in the Premier League.  Do you think that Pep should just get it launched more often or something?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

Do you think that Pep should just get it launched more often or something?

Nope, they should take more risks in possession by trying though balls. If you watch them play random city midfielder will be on the ball in the middle of the field and Haaland will be sitting on the shoulder of a defender, but instead of trying a through ball they just pass it out wide to random city winger. It happens over and over. I think it's because of Pep's possession at all costs style rather than freeing up his players to try slide rule passes into Haaland. He's at his best IMO when he's getting fed those type of passes because he's so quick and strong. Of course he's still scoring a hatful at city because they are better than pretty much every team they play and they do still create plenty of chances. 

But they create more chances than any other club with this style.  Playing through balls into the most fiercely contested area of the pitch is one of the things Steven Gerrard tried to do here.  How’d that work out again? 

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

He can certainly find space, he's like a magician at it. I bet 50% of his goals are from rebounds, balls falling to him, rather than a pass/cross that actually gets to him.

I'm not sure I even like him, although I guess he's like your best mate who's got the perfect life, you actually hate him for it, but have to give him all due credit.

Finding space is what it's all about. It is quite instinctual. But Leipzig's defending was a joke last night.

Â