Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

On 27/06/2020 at 21:39, PaulC said:

We move the ball far too slow for our strikers to have a chance. Other teams I have watched, even lower league teams are playing with more pace and urgency than us.  That's down to Smith , too scared of losing

No it isn't and no he isn't. It's down to the fact our players are crap. 

I think he's alright. But he's stuck up front in a team without much cohesion, no confidence, very little possession and very few chances. Judging him at this point is unfair in my eyes. At least he tries which is more than I can say for some other expensive players we got. 

• Like 1

He’s crap. It’s clear why Davis was starting in front of him after the restart. He’s a much better player and is showing Samatta up. 

He might be ok in the championship

For a striker to get goals in our team , he would need to be something special.

He would have to provide his own chances and take them.

Like Abraham or the `old' Benteke.

I would not be surprised if Samatta turned out to be a very decent striker with a bit of support behind him.. 

He is the kind of player you would buy for £2.5m 10 years ago and if he got 5 goals you would be buzzing.

He cost nothing in today's market nobody wanted to touch him. He was a panic buy worth taking but he looks limited to say the least.

Watched the Newcastle match with a Newcastle fan who thought Samatta was best player, linking up play and holding up effectively. Ultimately too deep, that's on the set up and the team though

• Like 1

Thought he looked lively before the break. Took the runs and the positioning I hoped Wesley would have occupied when he played. No service thou.

After the break he has looked unfit and sluggish. Who knows.

• Like 1

I think he's good but doesn't have the physicality to be fighting off CBs from punts forward.

Good movement, good touch, awareness of what's around him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

For a striker to get goals in our team , he would need to be something special.

He would have to provide his own chances and take them.

Like Abraham or the `old' Benteke.

I would not be surprised if Samatta turned out to be a very decent striker with a bit of support behind him.. 

Well we've had our fair share of chances to score against sheffield and Newcastle, but for some reason we have to rely on our defenders to score goals... I really like Davis but it's clear he's more of a heskey than a Michael Owen 

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He’s crap. It’s clear why Davis was starting in front of him after the restart. He’s a much better player and is showing Samatta up. 

He might be ok in the championship

That's nonsense. Before the lockdown he looked lively in a struggling Villa side. The league cup final goal was mint. If you give me decent supply he might score goals like he did for Genk.

Davis has good hold up play but never looks like scoring even when one on one.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

That's nonsense. Before the lockdown he looked lively in a struggling Villa side. The league cup final goal was mint. If you give me decent supply he might score goals like he did for Genk.

When's the last time Samatta has looked like scoring? I genuinely can't think of a single case since the restart. Meanwhile, Davis was unlucky not to get a goal at Sheffield.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

He did look lively. And since the restart he's looked poor. 

He doesn't score goals either. 

Davis has looked far better since the restart.

8 hours ago, WooJung said:

Well we've had our fair share of chances to score against sheffield and Newcastle, but for some reason we have to rely on our defenders to score goals... I really like Davis but it's clear he's more of a heskey than a Michael Owen 

Yes. I have changed my mind about Davis. I think he needs to be loaned out or moved on. We cannot wait for him to get a goal scoring touch, which is a natural thing. The one thing that you cannot teach.

33 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Yes. I have changed my mind about Davis. I think he needs to be loaned out or moved on. We cannot wait for him to get a goal scoring touch, which is a natural thing. The one thing that you cannot teach.

I think our problem all season has been we're playing with a lone striker, but have no strikers very capable of playing that role.

Davis doesn't score many, Samatta can't hold the ball up well enough and needs service on a plate, Wesley was somewhere between the two but I think in retrospect was probably our best option.

Ultimately the downfall though has been lack of support. We're playing this system with no wingers anywhere near good enough. El Ghazi and Trezeguet are just nowhere close to being up for the job.
You can't play with a striker like Samatta and utterly starve him of service. I don't rate him, but we're not giving him a chance

• Like 4

On 02/07/2020 at 11:06, Stevo985 said:

I think our problem all season has been we're playing with a lone striker, but have no strikers very capable of playing that role.

Davis doesn't score many, Samatta can't hold the ball up well enough and needs service on a plate, Wesley was somewhere between the two but I think in retrospect was probably our best option.

Ultimately the downfall though has been lack of support. We're playing this system with no wingers anywhere near good enough. El Ghazi and Trezeguet are just nowhere close to being up for the job.
You can't play with a striker like Samatta and utterly starve him of service. I don't rate him, but we're not giving him a chance

If Inzaghi in his prime played for this villa side we'd all think he's rubbish. 

Our wingers are pathetic. That's why I'd stick with 2 up top, our best chance to score is to hope that Davis can create something for Samatta through his phisical play. Or for Jack to wake up. Not sure which one is less likely. 

On 02/07/2020 at 10:06, Stevo985 said:

Spot on Stevo. Our wingers were garbage when we came up and we decided to stick with the one and sign Jota and Trezeguet.

Â