Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

1 hour ago, momo said:

You don't know the summer price for Samatta....

Weren’t we in for another striker as well, does anybody know who it was? Could it have been Samatta?

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I wonder why we went for Wesley over Samatta in the summer? Twice the price and less goals in the same division.

It’ll be a “what could have been” if we’d had him from the Summer.

He looks sharper and far more clinical than Wesley.

Because Wesley has more potential. We got samatta to save us after we had multiple serious injuries. Samatta is as good as he will ever be. Wesley is like an 18 year old in his development because he started playing competitively at 16. Wesley could still be getting better until he is 30. He needs to refine his game but he will be class once he learns all the little knacks. 

53 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Weren’t we in for another striker as well, does anybody know who it was? Could it have been Samatta?

I think it was mentioned as Rafael Leão but he joined Milan in the end. I seem to think it was he they mentioned don VillaView podcast.

He seems to have built up a good relationship with Marvellous, hopefully that has helped him settle into England quickly and he can fire us to safety. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, momo said:

You don't know the summer price for Samatta....

Fair.

Wes was the error rather than Samatta being essential.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

It’ll be a “what could have been” if we’d had him from the Summer.

We'd be safe, I'm certain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Fair.

Wes was the error rather than Samatta being essential.

We'd be safe, I'm certain.

I dont think Wes was the error.  The amount of goals we concede is the problem not Wes.  He's young, doesnt speak the language but still scored some goals as part of an attacking unit that has scored consistently at this level.  Our problem is conceding goals.

9 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think that Wesley has been an error?

Because he was extremely expensive and hasn’t delivered.

I’m sure we have lads in the academy/reserves who would be at least as effective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I dont think Wes was the error.  The amount of goals we concede is the problem not Wes.  He's young, doesnt speak the language but still scored some goals as part of an attacking unit that has scored consistently at this level.  Our problem is conceding goals.

It's both tbh, in our last 14 games we scored a total of 13 goals. In our last 19 we've scored 19

It's really hard to regularly win games when you average 1 goal per game or less. Especially if you can't defend.

Edited by sne

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Completely disagree. If we had an actual striker the first 5 months we would have WAY more points than we got right now. We'd probably be safe. We played some decent stuff the first half of the season, and lots of point were lost at the dying seconds because we wasted a god damn ton of chances to solidify the victory. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Because he was extremely expensive and hasn’t delivered.

I’m sure we have lads in the academy/reserves who would be at least as effective.

He has contributed 6 goals in 22 matches in all competitions for us, that’s nearly 1 goal every 4 matches and he cost £22m. If we look at other rival’s striker’s like Haller at West Ham, he’s scored 7 goals in 29 matches and he cost £45m. Joelinton cost Newcastle £45m and he’s scored 3 goals in 29 matches in all competitions. Moise Kean cost Everton £27.5m plus £2.5m in add ons 1 goal in 26 matches. The best of the lot has been Dominic Calvert-Lewin for Everton, he cost them £1.5m from Sheffield United and he’s English and he’s scored 15 goals in 32 matches in all competitions this season. In my opinion, Calvert-Lewin should be in the England squad, I think it just shows that bargains can be found in the lower leagues if the scouting is done correctly. I think that our expectations of players are extremely high, they are not superhuman, they are just normal people. Players in the u23s or u18s like Keinan Davis or Rushian Hepburn-Murphy were? They are both very good strikers for me, others obviously think differently

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sne said:

It's both tbh, in our last 14 games we scored a total of 13 goals. In our last 19 we've scored 19

It's really hard to regularly win games when you average 1 goal per game or less. Especially if you can't defend.

While I dont disagree, all the teams in the bottom half of the table arent much different in the goals 'For' column.  The area we have a problem is conceding goals which is way above anybody else in the league. 

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

While I dont disagree, all the teams in the bottom half of the table arent much different in the goals 'For' column.  The area we have a problem is conceding goals which is way above anybody else in the league. 

Yeah what we call defending is sub par by a huge margin. But after scoring 15 in our first 9 our attacking has also been poor.

We need to attack much better than that unless we improve our defending by a huge margin. Neither is good enough and they are very much connected.

37 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He has contributed 6 goals in 22 matches in all competitions for us, that’s nearly 1 goal every 4 matches and he cost £22m. If we look at other rival’s striker’s like Haller at West Ham, he’s scored 7 goals in 29 matches and he cost £45m. Joelinton cost Newcastle £45m and he’s scored 3 goals in 29 matches in all competitions. Moise Kean cost Everton £27.5m plus £2.5m in add ons 1 goal in 26 matches. The best of the lot has been Dominic Calvert-Lewin for Everton, he cost them £1.5m from Sheffield United and he’s English and he’s scored 15 goals in 32 matches in all competitions this season. In my opinion, Calvert-Lewin should be in the England squad, I think it just shows that bargains can be found in the lower leagues if the scouting is done correctly. I think that our expectations of players are extremely high, they are not superhuman, they are just normal people. Players in the u23s or u18s like Keinan Davis or Rushian Hepburn-Murphy were? They are both very good strikers for me, others obviously think differently

Davis has been injured most of this season and RHM has not shown me in 4 years that he has the potential to be a championship players, let alone premier league.

I am getting a bit fed up of this Wesley bashing. Had we actually played to his ability by buying a Samatta type player in the summer and play two up top (Smith not a fan obviously) then I think we would see Wes in a better way.  He has  good hold up play and his natural role is the deep lying forward between the midfield and up front. Regardless of that he just started to play his best footballl for us and then got injured as well so he has been unlucky.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Completely disagree. If we had an actual striker the first 5 months we would have WAY more points than we got right now. We'd probably be safe. We played some decent stuff the first half of the season, and lots of point were lost at the dying seconds because we wasted a god damn ton of chances to solidify the victory. 

Yeah if we had Tammy or Salah or Aguero sure but in the first half of the season it wasnt scoring goals that was an issue, so yes we wouldve had maybe a few more points but until December we were doing alright.  The consistent issue in this team from the start of the season was conceding goals.  You can improve any team and yes if the striker had been more used to the league, could speak the language and less raw yes I suppose you could say that was an error but jeez you are picking at the scab on the leg when the leg is actually falling off the body.  If you look at the season, the issue is conceding goals.....if it wasnt for that fact we would have likely more points and Wes wouldve been seen as a failure still by some but by others as a project to grow but we still survived.  Now that we could get relegated the focus is on him.

I certainly think if we had conceded less goals we wouldve gained way more points than having a better striker, that for me has been the error. 

The second error for me was buying all projects, from Hause, Konsa, Luiz, Nakamba, Trez and all the way to Wes was putting too much of the squad as 'projects' and we should've had one or two ready PL quality players, even if just to get us through the first season.

Then third look at Wes, whether it was right to put all our hopes into a foreign younger striker, that couldnt speak the language, never played at this level and was raw and not have a back up option even if it was a journey man.  I mean our strikeforce was Wes, Davis and Kodjia.  That was an error, not Wes himself.  If that had been Wes, Davis and an experience journey man PL striker it may have been different.

Just saying that of all our issues this season, Wes was the least of them and I definitely dont think was an error in isolation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think the error was not signing an experienced striker to take the pressure off Wesley 

• Like 2

Â