Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

17 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

If we were to go down he’ll be a real asset in the championship.

If he's still with us. I hope he would be, but who knows? I'm hoping we stay up and that he gets to score lots of goals in the PL next season. 🤞 

18 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I like Samatta. I see potential in him I never saw in Wesley (sorry Wesley). I'm not sure Samatta can save us yet, but I'd hang onto him long term, even if he didn't score loads in the last ten games.

That's because Samatta has realised his potential and is basically in his prime as a player. Wesley is young (and by all accounts a few years behind development wise due to being picked up older than other players) and he's all potential hence looks a worse player today.

You'd need to compare Samatta now with Wesley in 5 or 6 years for an accurate comparison. Not saying he'll be better, but I like Wes and think he'll be a good player in time. Samatta also looks good and we desperately needed a more finished product up front in our first season back, fingers crossed he can be the difference for us in these last 10 games, a bit like Vardy was for Leicester for their great escape 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, weedman said:

That's because Samatta has realised his potential and is basically in his prime as a player. Wesley is young (and by all accounts a few years behind development wise due to being picked up older than other players) and he's all potential hence looks a worse player today.

You'd need to compare Samatta now with Wesley in 5 or 6 years for an accurate comparison. Not saying he'll be better, but I like Wes and think he'll be a good player in time. Samatta also looks good and we desperately needed a more finished product up front in our first season back, fingers crossed he can be the difference for us in these last 10 games, a bit like Vardy was for Leicester for their great escape 

Point taken mate. I didn't really mean potential in the sense of growing as a player when one gets older, but as a scoring threat the next couple years. 

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

Point taken mate. I didn't really mean potential in the sense of growing as a player when one gets older, but as a scoring threat the next couple years. 

Oh and I agree with that as well, Samatta is clearly the better player at the moment and even if Wes was fit he should be our #1 this season (or #9?) but Wes wasn't brought here to be the finished article, he was brought to learn and improve.

His ceiling is much higher than Samatta by all accounts but it won't just happen overnight, it'll take him some time to get used to this level of football. I think a season in the championship would be the making of him personally but let's hope it doesn't come to that and he can improve while being #2 to Samatta in the PL next season! 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, John said:

If he's still with us. I hope he would be, but who knows? I'm hoping we stay up and that he gets to score lots of goals in the PL next season. 🤞 

Still with us? He’s only just signed with us and played 3 league games.  Even if we get relegated he isn’t going anywhere

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, weedman said:

Not only that, I think the two could play well together given their styles.

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Still with us? He’s only just signed with us and played 3 league games.  Even if we get relegated he isn’t going anywhere

I hope not and I'm sure our owners would see it that way too. His agent might have other ideas though. I think that I read an unsubstantiated rumour a while ago that Galatasaray, might be interested, if the worst did happen. It's not always safe to predict how players might react to playing outside of the top flight for a season, if another club does show an interest. 

1 minute ago, John said:

I hope not and I'm sure our owners would see it that way too. His agent might have other ideas though. I think that I read an unsubstantiated rumour a while ago that Galatasaray, might be interested, if the worst did happen. It's not always safe to predict how players might react to playing outside of the top flight for a season, if another club does show an interest. 

I know anything can happen but he only signed at the end of January, it's not like he signed last summer.  We have literally played 5 league games since he started, so I'd be surprised even if his agent is up to mischief.  I saw the Galatasaray rumour, even some said they wanted to loan him from us if we were relegated.....I cant even get my head around that! just made up!  Sometimes I read these rumours and even stuff from Villa websites and think people think it's football manager game and transfers are straight forward.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John said:

If Fulham can keep Mitrovic who was in demand last summer I don't see why we couldn't unless he signed a release clause. He dosen't have a huge profile outside Belgium and while I've been happy with what I've seen so far it's not like the rest of the league knows who he is yet like Benteke after 4-5 months (think Liverpool away in his first season was when he really announced himself).

I'm pretty confident he'd stay.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If Fulham can keep Mitrovic who was in demand last summer I don't see why we couldn't unless he signed a release clause. He dosen't have a huge profile outside Belgium and while I've been happy with what I've seen so far it's not like the rest of the league knows who he is yet like Benteke after 4-5 months (think Liverpool away in his first season was when he really announced himself).

I'm pretty confident he'd stay.

I think everyone was shocked when Mitrovic stayed. Perhaps London had grown on him. He's a bit of a rarity, maybe he didn't get the sort of offer that he was looking for from somewhere else? I think that Fulham also played a big part in keeping him, by demanding a big fee, before they would consider letting him go.  

I hope you are right and he does stick around. I know our owners won't want to accept a derisory offer and hopefully, he will want to give us a season to get back, should the unthinkable happen.   

He's been really good every appearance I think. Has good understanding and always knows what he should be doing it different situations.

Certain we'd be safe if we'd signed him August.

Need something special from probably more than one player if we're going to pull off this miracle.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He's been really good every appearance I think. Has good understanding and always knows what he should be doing it different situations.

Certain we'd be safe if we'd signed him August.

Need something special from probably more than one player if we're going to pull off this miracle.

It's hardly a miracle. We've been outside the relegation places most of the season and wouldn't be now if we had played and won our game in hand.  It would not be even close to being a miracle if we survived from this point. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's hardly a miracle. We've been outside the relegation places most of the season and wouldn't be now if we had played and won our game in hand.  It would not be even close to being a miracle if we survived from this point. 

Miracle for me sir. I've got belief in about five players being up for tough matches, and that's all we have left.

We've got worse and worse. Break flukily came at a great time for us which is a bonus.

Win first up be great. Sheff U also thinking that with Champions League very possible for them.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Sheff U also thinking that with Champions League very possible for them

I don't think it is and their fall from grace will start with a loss to us. 🤞

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Miracle for me sir. I've got belief in about five players being up for tough matches, and that's all we have left.

We've got worse and worse. Break flukily came at a great time for us which is a bonus.

Win first up be great. Sheff U also thinking that with Champions League very possible for them.

5 players is more than most teams in our position. For Norwich you would say buendia and pukki, for West ham it would be one of bowen, lanzini and Felipe Anderson and ogbonna, Bournemouth josh King and their keeper.

We are in a good position. We are getting mcginn back we have a mostly fit squad the break would have been great for mings and Grealish to recover from any niggling injuries. We will have steer so we have 3 first team quality keepers, hopefully targett has gotten his fitness up so he isn't throwing up on the sidelines, we have samatta and a fit Davis. Trez, Luiz, El Ghazi and nakamba will have had time to recalibrate and be ready for the physicality. Also 3 of those players are probably warm weather so may perform better now. I'm confident we have enough to stay up. My biggest hope is Smith is now prepared to use all 5 subs. 

• Like 3

I wonder why we went for Wesley over Samatta in the summer? Twice the price and less goals in the same division.

It’ll be a “what could have been” if we’d had him from the Summer.

He looks sharper and far more clinical than Wesley.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wonder why we went for Wesley over Samatta in the summer? Twice the price and less goals in the same division.

It’ll be a “what could have been” if we’d had him from the Summer.

He looks sharper and far more clinical than Wesley.

You don't know the summer price for Samatta....

• Like 1

Â