The Royal Family

Genie

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Check this out…

This is fantastic. You would think more people would be talking about this takedown. Good work Chris. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ml1dch said:

But anyway, 80% of the Irish population still class themselves as practising Catholics, but the UK is the place believing in ewoks and mermaids. OK then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Risso said:

But anyway, 80% of the Irish population still class themselves as practising Catholics, but the UK is the place believing in ewoks and mermaids. OK then.

What 80% of Irish people privately believe is their own business.

The Queen is the head of your state church.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Enda said:

For the sake of balance it should be pointed out that more people in the UK are non-believers (of any trademark of God) than those that actively participate in the State religion. In fact Non-believers almost equal those that identify (note: identify isn't active practicing) as any trademarked brand of Christianity, so when you inevitably break that down into actively practicing in each cult the Non-believers far outweigh any religious trademark. The decrease in numbers of actively practicing from identifying in the State Sponsored Trademark is particularly acute, far more than say the second largest trademark which is Catholicism, who in all likelihood are the largest practicing trademark.

21 minutes ago, Enda said:

What 80% of Irish people privately believe is their own business.

Two thirds of British people still support the monarchy. Is that not their own business as well?

And let's not get on to heads of religion, or else I'll have to bring catholic priests and the Pope into it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Risso said:

Two thirds of British people still support the monarchy. Is that not their own business as well?

And let's not get on to heads of religion, or else I'll have to bring catholic priests and the Pope into it.

There’s never been a referendum on the monarchy, so any reference to two thirds is debatable. If  the monarchy put themselves to the electorate every 5 years, I could live with that. But then Democracy and Monarchy have historically never been comfortable bedfellows. 

Edited by meregreen

1 minute ago, meregreen said:

There’s never been a referendum on the monarchy, so any reference to two thirds is debatable. If  the monarchy put themselves to the electorate every 5 years, I could live with that. But then Democracy and Monarchy have historically never been comfortable bedfellows. 

Oh I know, and I'm no supporter of the monarchy at all. I think it's just a bit rich somebody from Ireland having a go at the UK over something like the monarchy, when religion is still such a massive part of life over there, and has caused harm on a truly staggering scale.

6 minutes ago, Risso said:

Oh I know, and I'm no supporter of the monarchy at all. I think it's just a bit rich somebody from Ireland having a go at the UK over something like the monarchy, when religion is still such a massive part of life over there, and has caused harm on a truly staggering scale.

It was a policy of encouraging Scottish Protestant immigration into Ireland, encouraged and promoted by the Crown, that laid the foundations of the sectarian conflicts in that troubled land, we are today still paying the price for the machinations of Church and monarchy. Two sides of the same coin methinks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, meregreen said:

It was a policy of encouraging Scottish Protestant immigration into Ireland, encouraged and promoted by the Crown, that laid the foundations of the sectarian conflicts in that troubled land, we are today still paying the price for the machinations of Church and monarchy. Two sides of the same coin methinks.

Well quite. Religion and the monarchy, no place for either of them in a modern world really. But if I had to choose, give me a largely ceremonial monarchy over an all pervasive religion, any day of the week.

• Like 3

I don't really have an opinion on the Royals. 

I think of them the same I think of National Trust sites, "wow this has all been build on exploitation and I hate it" & "but **** me is it impressive to look at, I love the actual stuff". 

So I kind of just go with the flow and accept Lizzie costs me a quid every year. 

51 minutes ago, Risso said:

You know how average Brits are different from the British government, and similarly private religion is different to state-sanctioned religion.

Monarchies are nuts. The British monarchy is enshrined in the British nonconstitution. There is no similar system in the Irish constitution. On the contrary, there is separation of church and state.

You're pretending to not see the difference between people's private beliefs and a rigged system of government.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I’m currently in the land of freedom and personally owned machine guns, they are bloody loving the fanfare in London.

Its across all the channels.

Where are you Dave?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 31/05/2022 at 13:52, Enda said:

You know how average Brits are different from the British government, and similarly private religion is different to state-sanctioned religion.

Monarchies are nuts. The British monarchy is enshrined in the British nonconstitution. There is no similar system in the Irish constitution. On the contrary, there is separation of church and state.

You're pretending to not see the difference between people's private beliefs and a rigged system of government.

Thing is no one in the UK really cares about the monarchy, it's a side show much in the way EastEnders or Emmerdale is. There's a few fanatics but in large everyone loves an excuse to party but the politics and religion of it all is largely overlooked.

The Irish , both Protestant and Catholic seem to take religion much more seriously than the average English person ( Scotland seem to get rather carried away with it all as well)

One things for sure if we didn't have a royal family we only have another clown like Boris voted in anyway. 

Â