The Royal Family

Genie

The Sovereign Grant is £1,860,000 per week. So to be fair, if she’s phoned in sick and is getting £99.35 instead then I’m happy to accept she’s genuinely not well.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i think so too. Maybe the death of her husband has had a major impact on her health. At 96 she has done the country  a remarkable service. Id be suprised if she is around in the next two years

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that statistically, the surviving partner is particularly likely to pass in the 18 months or so after the death of the first partner. Maybe someone working in the insurance industry can correct that if it's bollocks.

I believe the stats do show that after a certain age the death of a longterm spouse makes short term mortality rates spike. It's called the widowhood effect.

Bearing in mind that the Queen is 96, even a minor spike in likelihood of death is going to be more significant.

Edit: And I don't think it's generally thought to be a minor spike. It's meant to be pretty significant in the first 6 months and then slowly recede, but maintains the higher base point.

Saying all that, it's evident that the Royals don't have 'normal' lives, so it may be a red herring in this case, or reduced. The Queen losing Phil the Greek isn't really comparable to Doris who lived in a 2 bed semi in Shard End for 50 years with Bert suddenly being alone.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

I believe the stats do show that after a certain age the death of a longterm spouse makes short term mortality rates spike. It's called the widowhood effect.

Bearing in mind that the Queen is 96, even a minor spike in likelihood of death is going to be more significant.

Edit: And I don't think it's generally thought to be a minor spike. It's meant to be pretty significant in the first 6 months and then slowly recede, but maintains the higher base point.

Saying all that, it's evident that the Royals don't have 'normal' lives, so it may be a red herring in this case, or reduced. The Queen losing Phil the Greek isn't really comparable to Doris who lived in a 2 bed semi in Shard End for 50 years with Bert suddenly being alone.

Doris the the tea lady? Tell me she hasn’t gone 😢

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that statistically, the surviving partner is particularly likely to pass in the 18 months or so after the death of the first partner. Maybe someone working in the insurance industry can correct that if it's bollocks.

That would make absolute sensen. If your 96, the trauma of losing your hubby must taks its toll on your health in terms of stress and heartache. She probably feels very low and lonely now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

That would make absolute sensen. If your 96, the trauma of losing your hubby must taks its toll on your health in terms of stress and heartache. She probably feels very low and lonely now.

Unless you couldn't stand the old git, and getting shot of him gives you a new lease of life!  :)

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Too ill to open Parliament so she sent her hat instead.

Papped at a horse show today.

She’s gonna get absolutely roasted down the Benefits Office on Tuesday.

Makes you wonder whether it was a deliberate snub to Boris. 

• Like 1

On 10/05/2022 at 18:59, Xela said:

I like the Queen. Wasn't her fault she was born into this life. I think she's done her 'duty' well. Yes its privileged, but it doesn't mean its easy and fun. Its no normal life and i'd say its a bit of life sentence. I wouldn't want to be part of it. 

Must be a **** nightmare, being forced to live in a palace and trying to exist on £100m a year for going on some holidays and occasionally waving.

• Like 4

I think her non appearance at events recently is due to mobility issues ie she doesn’t want to be seen in a wheelchair.

Princess Margaret was pictured in a wheelchair a few years before she died and I think the Queen feels it will be a lasting image that may define her later years.

You would have thought she could get one of those sedan chairs and get a couple of flunkeys to carry her.

Edited by Only2McInallys

32 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Must be a **** nightmare, being forced to live in a palace and trying to exist on £100m a year for going on some holidays and occasionally waving.

I wouldn't want to be part of it. 

There’s a way out for any of them that can’t put up with waving for £1.8 million a week.

They are not prisoners, and I hope they don’t feel they have to live in a palace for my benefit.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone on here celebrating the Jubilee next week? I won't be simply because I have zero clue what I'd be celebrating other than someone who was born into privilege and has, along with the rest of her family, continued that life of privilege, partly at my expense, and in return has made a few speeches, waved a few times and allegedly given birth to at least one nonce.

I have seen a few posts on social media around one or two local street parties, although nothing on my own street thankfully. 

• Like 3

As I said elsewhere, I've voluteered to go to work, to get away from it if nothing else.

Liverpool will collectively go on the piss because its a Public Holiday but they will in most instances not be celebrating anything to do with the Royal Family

• Like 2

My daughter’s school have sent her and all the pupil’s home with commemorative mugs for her maj’s latest big day. They’ve done a bit to mark it, wearing red, white and blue on one of the days this week. Any criticism I have of the monarchy can be held off until she’s a bit older. There’s only so much I can get her onside for and at the moment the  focus in on insisting she remembers to say “please” and “thank you” and getting her to do her spellings.

Not sure what they’re doing for it round my way. I haven’t seen any adverts for street parties. People will be getting drunk in pubs I dare say.

As for me, both on Thursday and Friday, I will be applying the first and second coats to walls and ceilings in a dorma bungalow that my dad has been building for a little while now. So to an extent I shall mark the occasion by watching paint dry.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ill be doing anything that doesnt involve celebrating the royal family

No pizza express for you next week so.

Edited by sparrow1988

Â