The Royal Family

Genie

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well, quite apart from the argument that charity is an abrogation of government responsibility, you don't need a monarchy to have a charity. Are you seriously suggesting that people only donate to (say) the RSPCA or the RNLI because of the "R" in the name? 

No I am not suggesting that people only donate to charities because they have Royal in the name but having a Royal patron or president provides vital publicity for the work of these organisations, unless Prince Andrew is a patron of course 😄

10 minutes ago, Eligius said:

No I am not suggesting that people only donate to charities because they have Royal in the name but having a Royal patron or president provides vital publicity for the work of these organisations, unless Prince Andrew is a patron of course 😄

Perhaps. But it's a poor reflection on our attitudes if (say) opening a new lifeboat station or animal sanctuary is only 'newsworthy' if some privileged toff rocks up to cut the ribbon. 

4 hours ago, Eligius said:

Plenty of under privileged people mainly youngsters have been helped tremendously by Royal charities which is something you can't put a price on in what the monarchy brings to many, some of the poorest in society have been funded by Prince Charles's charity in setting up businesses and have gone on to run successful companies whilst taking on staff from the very same social poor background. Plus, the hundreds of charities that have a Royal as patron have helped in gaining extra funds to help the under privileged people, animals etc. 

If people feel better about their lives by having a party and celebrating the jubilee then good for them, because over the last few years there hasn't been much to be cheerful about.

For me the main reason why I don’t believe in the monarchy is because it is telling people what ever you do or whatever you achieve there will always be a group of people who are above you.

A working class kid can go to Oxford or Cambridge make some discovery or major advance but is told sorry mate you will always need to be subservient to Royals.

I think it has held this country back hugely and reinforced the class system where many working class people don’t aspire to things because they should know their place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great few days of celebration. Congratulations Ma’am on a record unlikely to be bettered and well done GB for putting on a show as only we can. 

It’s what sets us apart 

God bless the Queen 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just saw comments online as to people being confused by Rod Stewart singing "Sweet caroline" (I didn't watch so have no idea what he did at the Queen's bash).

"Why did ghe cover Sweet caroline" says one..."Should have done Sailing" said another.

Oblivious to the fact that "Sailing" is also a cover ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

For me the main reason why I don’t believe in the monarchy is because it is telling people what ever you do or whatever you achieve there will always be a group of people who are above you.

A working class kid can go to Oxford or Cambridge make some discovery or major advance but is told sorry mate you will always need to be subservient to Royals.

I think it has held this country back hugely and reinforced the class system where many working class people don’t aspire to things because they should know their place.

Bloody hell, I'm glad we all don't think this way!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

Do you have any actual evidence for this?
Sounds like one of those things they say in the royalist supporting media to justify being in favour of he Monarchy.

Almost as much nonsense as the tourism argument

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Great few days of celebration. Congratulations Ma’am on a record unlikely to be bettered and well done GB for putting on a show as only we can. 

It’s what sets us apart 

God bless the Queen 

British exceptionalism.

It really doesn’t set us apart from anything

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its truly wonderful. We all should be very proud!

Proud of what, proud of someone who who is the head of the world's most famous dysfunctional family, who married her cousin (duelling banjos anyone) and raised and protected a nonce. A family that locked away two family members in a castle because they were not born normal, never allowed to be seen in public.

The Royals are bunch of sick scummy horrible people

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Proud of what, proud of someone who who is the head of the world's most famous dysfunctional family, who married her cousin (duelling banjos anyone) and raised and protected a nonce. A family that locked away two family members in a castle because they were not born normal, never allowed to be seen in public.

Sounds like 90% of the families in the UK (bar the nonce bit ofcourse). 😂

Watching this pageant lark and putting tiny kids in a box waving at people who adore them and feel subservient because they were pushed out of the right fanny, it’s 2022 ffs

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

As it happens I’ve just been reading about Nerissa and Katherine Bowes-Lyon.

Now their story isn’t exactly hot off the press and I am now aware that it’s covered in “The Crown”. I was completely unaware of them (I don’t watch the show).

But bloody hell. Perhaps this is just my perception being way off - it probably is -but why isn’t that spoken about more?

Edited by Mark Albrighton

Â