Tom13

12 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I wonder if we might see him played as we see out our final fixtures? We might need him...

For those that have seen him play, is he good enough to come in to our first team? I haven’t seen him play so can’t comment, not that you’d trust my opinion anyway

18 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I wonder if we might see him played as we see out our final fixtures? We might need him...

We don't exactly have a great track records in giving youth a chance.

Only Jack has really broken through over the past 10 years or so. You could argue Keinan, but he really isn't a starter even and he is 22 now..

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

We don't exactly have a great track records in giving youth a chance.

Only Jack has really broken through over the past 10 years or so. You could argue Keinan, but he really isn't a starter even and he is 22 now..

Albrighton, Hogg, Herd, Bannan, Davis, Green, Baker, Lichaj, Grealish, Williams, Toner, Gardner, Lyden all made league debuts in last decade or so

I agree we dont give players a chance 🙄

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Albrighton, Hogg, Herd, Bannan, Davis, Green, Baker, Lichaj, Grealish, Williams, Toner, Gardner, Lyden all made league debuts in last decade or so

I think you are spot on, it just goes to show how good you have to be to make it here

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Most of them are from the Lambert era where he was literally forced to use the youth due to financial restrictions.

We would rather play an injured Chester or Alan Hutton in centre defence rather than someone from the U-23. That's how bad it is.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Most of them are from the Lambert era where he was literally forced to use the youth due to financial restrictions.

We would rather play an injured Chester or Alan Hutton in centre defence rather than someone from the U-23. That's how bad it is.

😴

4 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I wonder if we might see him played as we see out our final fixtures? 

I don't think so. For me he looks like a very talented boy, but not someone who is ready to play at senior level. Young players often have sudden periods of physical development and I haven't seen him for months, so I could already be wrong on that, but the player I've seen so far isn't ready.

At 16, that's okay I reckon, I still think the right time for him to be breaking through is at the start of the 2021-22 season - another 12-13 months time - if he's progressing at the right rate, that's when I'd expect to start to see him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

How many of those were given debuts by Lambert? 

I think the point was that most of them would have made their debuts a long time ago now, some of them as far back as ten years or more, if you look at the ages of those players Chris Herd is 31 and Marc Albrighton and Barry Bannan turn 31 this year, Jonathan Hogg and Eric Lichaj will be 32, Nathan Baker is 29, and Williams, Toner, Lyden, and Grealish are all in their mid twenties. So in recent seasons we haven't brought through many youngsters, Green and Davis have probably made the biggest impact, but one of those is injury prone and the other Green is out on his third loan in a row and as of tomorrow out of contract at the end of the month, along with O'Hare, Hepburn-Murphy and Doyle-Hayes.

I don't think you can blame any manager though, we just haven't  been producing good enough youngsters, which is why we've revamped the academy setup to try and change that, which is why it's also important that we keep hold of players like Barry, Chukwuemeka and Philogen-Bidace, we don't want to finally produce some youngster that look they might have the potential to make it with us for then to only go and lose them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we can make 5 subs I’m guessing they must be allowing more than 7 named, why not get him in the squad, Davis is always injured we have only have one other  recognised striker in vasilev

Regarding youth, years ago at a coaching convention i met Paul Power (u 18 man city head coach) and Jim Cassel (Man city academy director). This was when Mancini was managing them.

They were very gracious down to earth lads and entertained me and a pal over a cuppa.

The thing that shocked me the most, is that they said, our goal is not to produce pros for the man city first team, but pros for other teams. He cited that in his whole tenure, Mancini had been to watch one u-18 game. They were just trying to give lads the opportunity of a making a living from playing the game they love!

Really surprised me that, but that modern football i guess.....pressure at some clubs mean the gaffer cant take the risk.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, useless said:

I think the point was that most of them would have made their debuts a long time ago now, some of them as far back as ten years or more, if you look at the ages of those players Chris Herd is 31 and Marc Albrighton and Barry Bannan turn 31 this year, Jonathan Hogg and Eric Lichaj will be 32, Nathan Baker is 29, and Williams, Toner, Lyden, and Grealish are all in their mid twenties. So in recent seasons we haven't brought through many youngsters, Green and Davis have probably made the biggest impact, but one of those is injury prone and the other Green is out on his third loan in a row and as of tomorrow out of contract at the end of the month, along with O'Hare, Hepburn-Murphy and Doyle-Hayes.

I don't think you can blame any manager though, we just haven't  been producing good enough youngsters, which is why we've revamped the academy setup to try and change that, which is why it's also important that we keep hold of players like Barry, Chukwuemeka and Philogen-Bidace, we don't want to finally produce some youngster that look they might have the potential to make it with us for then to only go and lose them.

I think the other issue is folk being over zealous in their appraisals.......some were never good enough, even when some thought they was.

In the case of Green and Davis injuries have just hampered their progress, so they are difficult to assess.....others have great skills and no strength to go with it.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think so. For me he looks like a very talented boy, but not someone who is ready to play at senior level. Young players often have sudden periods of physical development and I haven't seen him for months, so I could already be wrong on that, but the player I've seen so far isn't ready.

At 16, that's okay I reckon, I still think the right time for him to be breaking through is at the start of the 2021-22 season - another 12-13 months time - if he's progressing at the right rate, that's when I'd expect to start to see him.

It would be nice to see a Duncan Edwards type come through......The power and strength he had as a kid.

Those are the ones that make first teams at a very tender age.

7 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

For those that have seen him play, is he good enough to come in to our first team? I haven’t seen him play so can’t comment, not that you’d trust my opinion anyway

He's good, but certainly no Rushian Hepburn Murphy

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

If we can make 5 subs I’m guessing they must be allowing more than 7 named, why not get him in the squad, Davis is always injured we have only have one other  recognised striker in vasilev

Pretty sure Bundesliga has 9 subs now on the bench

30 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

Regarding youth, years ago at a coaching convention i met Paul Power (u 18 man city head coach) and Jim Cassel (Man city academy director). This was when Mancini was managing them.

They were very gracious down to earth lads and entertained me and a pal over a cuppa.

The thing that shocked me the most, is that they said, our goal is not to produce pros for the man city first team, but pros for other teams. He cited that in his whole tenure, Mancini had been to watch one u-18 game. They were just trying to give lads the opportunity of a making a living from playing the game they love!

Really surprised me that, but that modern football i guess.....pressure at some clubs mean the gaffer cant take the risk.

It doesnt mean anything to City obviously but I think I read if a player from youth team sells for 5 million he will fund the academy for 2 or 3 years alone. If a player is good enough they will make it but football isnt an easy sport to make it so players will naturally filter down. Many bigger clubs than us struggled to blood youngsters in last 10 years or so

Â