Tom13

He's had solid debuts so far.

First game in the U-18 he scored 2 and had 1 assist

First game for the U-23's he had 2 assists in 45 minutes.

Might be a sign? Throw him in against City and I'm certain he'll score a hattrick :D 

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

State of this forum, man.

He is 16, things are getting toxic and international players are hiding from the ball and look absolute rattled.

Aye, chuck him in.

Well, isn't that the point? If senior players are not performing and maybe they think they're safe because there's nobody to challenge their place, show them they're not and there is.

8 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Well, isn't that the point? If senior players are not performing and maybe they think they're safe because there's nobody to challenge their place, show them they're not and there is.

He should be nurtured carefully with only the odd sub appearance and loans until he's 26 and then released on a free so he can sign for Birmingham or Newcastle.

• Haha 3

On 25/02/2020 at 11:47, Mazrim said:

I would advise caution. I love the idea of shaking up some attitudes but this is a cup final. We need to look after the psyche of these youngsters. Getting humiliated by City isn't the way to do that.

I would like to see one of them instead of an under-performing regular. Just to make a point. Why not this lad.

This. 

I never understand this. It's one of my pet hates.

"Put him in" - based on what?!

"Can't be any worse than..." - yes he can!

"Won't do any harm" - it very much could do harm.

If he's good enough to play, Smith will play him. I very much doubt that will be in a cup final against one of the best teams in the world.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I think if Smith was to drop one of them for a 16 year old lad who has not even featured in a match day squad and probably not even in a first team training session it would signal to the players gaffer has lost it and a complete lack of belief.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think if Smith was to drop one of them for a 16 year old lad who has not even featured in a match day squad and probably not even in a first team training session it would signal to the players gaffer has lost it and a complete lack of belief.

I think you are right, it would be crazy to put a 16 year old in the squad, regardless of how good he or she is

24 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Again. That's the point. Sending a signal to a player that their form / effort is unacceptable.

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Again. That's the point. Sending a signal to a player that their form / effort is unacceptable.

and when said 16 year old looks out of his depth ( as I am 99% sure he will at this stage) the collective unit will look at the gaffer and think....TIT

20 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you are right, it would be crazy to put a 16 year old in the squad, regardless of how good he or she is

Do we have to do the whole Rooney, Milner, Defoe etc thing again?

I'm not championing Barry to start ahead of readiness, but I have sympathy for the view that pulling some lazy, disinterested, overpaid and self-entitled gobshite from a matchday squad in place of this kid on the bench, is not the worst idea.
There are many ways you can try to appeal to a player. You can scream at them, you can put an arm around their shoulders, you can try different tactics and so on, but sometimes players only respond to losing their place / match bonuses / invulnerability.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

and when said 16 year old looks out of his depth ( as I am 99% sure he will at this stage) the collective unit will look at the gaffer and think....TIT

Or they will see a kid (in a limited cameo from the bench) putting some effort in and realise that the gaffer has called their bluff and is deadly serious about dropping players and that they'd better get their shit together.

This whole (thus far hypothetical) scenario is down to a situation where senior players are massively underperforming, in which case I personally don't give a **** what they think. They can respond positively (the hope) or get lost.

• Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He pretty much told them that directly in the post match interviews against Southampton.

He would just be following up on that promised kick in the ass.

It would be a lesson, would not necessarily mean they are out of plans totally.

If i'm being honest it would be well deserved punishment.

"Perform anything like that again, and you'll be replaced, even by youth if must!"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He pretty much told them that directly in the post match interviews against Southampton.

He would just be following up on that promised kick in the ass.

It would be a lesson, would not necessarily mean they are out of plans totally.

If i'm being honest it would be well deserved punishment.

"Perform anything like that again, and you'll be replaced, even by youth if must!"

Thank Christ for somebody who gets it.

Hardly fair on Barry to be used as a message to some senior players. 

The club need to consider his development not a little short term kick to a few players. 

He's played one half for the u23 side. He is 16 years old. He's not Rooney, owen or Milner. 

Lets trust that Harrison has been brought in because he knows what he's doing.

I'm happy to let the club decide when he's ready. Not a few fans who have decided el ghazi is soft. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Thank Christ for somebody who gets it.

I think people get the point. It's just a very extreme one. 

If it's such a clear and obvious thing to do then let's see if Barry is on the bench sunday. My thoughts are that he won't be.

Just now, DCJonah said:

I think people get the point. It's just a very extreme one. 

If it's such a clear and obvious thing to do then let's see if Barry is on the bench sunday. My thoughts are that he won't be.

And I would agree. But if he is, I approve the gutsy move.

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The club need to consider his development not a little short term kick to a few players. 

He's played one half for the u23 side. He is 16 years old. He's not Rooney, owen or Milner. 

I'm happy to let the club decide when he's ready. Not a few fans who have decided el ghazi is soft. 

Well there is Davis, Vassilev? (If it's currently a step too far for Barry)

Also re: Anwar, I think you will find 90 percent of the football community with eyes currently feel the same way.

I'm not saying I want Anwar out full time, he just needs to know he must find some more fight for this run in, we can;t take any passengers.

I've always thought he could do with putting on some more muscle as well, bad as it sounds, our Footballers who look "softer", generally are!

Targett came back from his accusations of "bottling it" in form and fighting.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

We have this discussion whenever the team is playing badly. People clamouring to play the kids exclaiming that "it can't be any worse than such and such!"

It's usually bollocks. 

I'm all for giving kids a chance. But not just throwing them in willy nilly, especially just to use them as a tool to send a message to other players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Barry might be delighted to be given the opportunity. We don't know. His development must come first but don't assume he wouldn't take to it.

He isn't Rooney, Owen or Milner? Well, obviously. What do you mean by this though, that he isn't as good? Based on what?

I agree with you on letting the staff decide what's best. I mean, obviously. What else can we do about it anyway?
And your last point was hilariously bitchy. This is more than about Barry or El Ghazi, this is about ethics. When all you have to threaten consistently underperforming players with is youth, (which I think is more or less accurate now) do you go through with it?

Â