Tom13

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think he will make it for Villa but no reason he can’t have a decent career. 

Kind of where im at mate. When you look at archer (ok he is older) but had a lot more impressive record on loan and he isnt even given a huge amount of game time. Dnt see where barry fits in right now

• Like 1

I think it's now or never for the wee guy.

He's gone from a amazing display against Liverpool in the cup a couple seasons ago into the wilderness and loaned out to league 2 clubs.

There was so much promise and hype about him when he joined too.

I know his first loan was not all that for a number of reasons, but I would have thought by now he would have been staking a claim for the first team.

Let's see what this season brings. However, I have a early feeling that he is not going to make it here at Villa but I hope I'm wrong.

31 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Jamie Vardy was playing non-league at his age.

The sentimentality holds us back a bit, I think.

For every Jamie Vardy there are hundreds and hundreds of Nathan Delfoneusos and Stefan Moores and Graham Burkes and all the others who’ve come and gone but whose names we can’t event remember. These players make careers but are miles off established Premier League players. (No shame in that at all.) Louie Barry is older than Jhon Duran and has just been loaned out to League 2. He’ll do well to get a “Championship at best”-level career. Best of luck to him, and I hope he proves me wrong, but 99 times out of 100 he’ll be on his way.

Barry played through the England age groups with Muisala and Bellingham, so clearly there is some talent there. 
But it is very hard to make it at the top level, if he doesn’t but we still manage to sell the academy is still doing its job. 

9 minutes ago, Enda said:

The sentimentality holds us back a bit, I think.

For every Jamie Vardy there are hundreds and hundreds of Nathan Delfoneusos and Stefan Moores and Graham Burkes and all the others who’ve come and gone but whose names we can’t event remember. These players make careers but are miles off established Premier League players. (No shame in that at all.) Louie Barry is older than Jhon Duran and has just been loaned out to League 2. He’ll do well to get a “Championship at best”-level career. Best of luck to him, and I hope he proves me wrong, but 99 times out of 100 he’ll be on his way.

In fairness, Nathan Delfounseo, Stefan Moore and Graham Burke were never signed by Barcelona.

Don't think he'll make it with us anyhow, our first team level has moved up a notch or two since we signed Barry. He could still have a decent career though 

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

In fairness, Nathan Delfounseo, Stefan Moore and Graham Burke were never signed by Barcelona.

Fair point, but wasn’t he about 15 at the time? Funny enough that move could have been detrimental to his development

Our previous CEO famously said players who aren’t breaking into the first team at age 19 won’t make it with us. I’ll go a little softer: players not doing well in the Championship at 20 won’t make it with us.

Barry's career has been slowed a bit by his physical development. I'm not sure what he trains like but he's definitely needed to get stronger and hit the gym. There's a lot of talent there still and it makes sense to persevere with him if he's serious and professional about his development. 

If he can dominate in League Two this season, it bodes well for his future. 

3 hours ago, thefeet1980 said:

Make or break for him this season I think - needs to play regularly for Stockport and bag at least double figures…

For who?

I think he already showed at Swindon he's a capable league 2 player so would imagine his level will eventually be top end league 1, bottom end championship.

Very remote chance he breaks through here now. If Archer with two excellent championship spells and regular goals for the England under 21s still can't quite establish a role here I can't see Barry doing it now.

If Stockport get promoted as looks like wouldn't shock me if they sign him permanently and we just insert a big sell on clause as they have plenty of money for the level they operate.

27 minutes ago, Enda said:

Fair point, but wasn’t he about 15 at the time? Funny enough that move could have been detrimental to his development

Our previous CEO famously said players who aren’t breaking into the first team at age 19 won’t make it with us. I’ll go a little softer: players not doing well in the Championship at 20 won’t make it with us.

I thought he actually said that they shouldn't be sat in our u21s at that age, which to be fair he's not, where the club failed previously was letting these kids stagnate playing kids football, Barry isn't he's out on loan

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I thought he actually said that they shouldn't be sat in our u21s at that age, which to be fair he's not, where the club failed previously was letting these kids stagnate playing kids football, Barry isn't he's out on loan

I can’t remember the exact quote, you may be right.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Jamie Vardy was playing non-league at his age.

Vardy then signed for a championship club at the time.

I think people are underestimating where we're going.

Not sure what he can do really to force his way into first team contention next summer if we're at least europa stage by then.

And at 21 I think he'll just be wanting to go somewhere permanently and play every week.

Stockport potentially in league 1 then would be a good move as they could well push on to challenge for promotion to championship.

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Calum O'Hare is classic example.

Completely mis-managed by Bruce and just kept in youth football until about 20. If we'd given him a few loans and kept him around it's possible he might've developed in a decent enough Grealish replacement by summer 2021 so would've potentially saved us nearly 40m which we spent on Buendia.

He was a top end championship player before his injury.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

Barry has done way more at this stage than Vardy had done at the same age, he's also shown way more promise than the average player of his age has, so when expressing the idea that he might make it at the top level it isn't some far fetched one in a million long-shot, whether he can make it with us or in the Premier League at all I don't know, it's going to be tough, but I'm pretty certain he will have a good career and at relatively high level

Fin Azaz is probably going to be playing in the Championship next season, when he was Barry's age he hadn't even had a loan yet and had just been released by Albion, when Philogene was Barry's age his only first team experience was a a brief appearance for us and a couple of appearances for Stoke, Barry hasn't played at a level as high as the Championship, but has way more first team experience than Philogene had.

Another thing with Barry is that we messed up his development somewhat, his first loan was too early, and our choice of club for him was very poor, not sure MK Dons was the greatest of choices either, youngsters going on loan to struggling clubs more than likely going to find it difficult, also he's from a generation of academy players that missed development time because of covid so might need a little longer than usual.

Wasn't his first loan at Ipswich?

That was pretty ambitious as that's a club always expected to be in contention for promotion but think problem there was them having loads of forwards/wide players so he wasn't even making the squad and we terminated it in January 2022.

Since then he did very well at Swindon and pretty well at Salford last season so top end league 2 he can make an impact.

The trajectory of successful player who goes out on loan is generally they step up a league each season on loan between 19-21. Harvey Barnes (who ironically was on loan at Milton Keynes) and Connor Gallagher are classic examples of this.

Difficult to justify giving him a serious chance here without him shining in the championship at some stage and it's harder now he's in his 20s.

He joined Ipswich when he hadn't even turned eighteen yet and they signed about thirty players in one summer, including about four or five that play his position, some of them had Championship and Ligue 1 experience, he was very highly rated at that point, and wasn't just because he had been at Barcelona, he had just won the youth cup with us and didn't look out of place alongside the likes Aaron Ramsey and Chukwuemeka, and already looked too good for U21 football, bearing in mind at the time he was similar age Kellyman is now and Kellyman barely even has any U21 experience yet, was also England's all time leading scorer in his age group and I think still is for that age group, so can understand the club having confidence in him, he wasn't just some average academy player that had done okay, but all that said Ipswich still a bad choice, and probably went out too early.

• Like 2

As luck would have it I'm off to Stockport's pre-season match against Preston tomorrow, so I'll now be hoping for a chance to see him in his new colours for the first time. 

I do think there's a chance he'll still make it but I also think he'll definitely be a professional footballer with value so if he won't make it, we've helped develop one of our own and make money out of it too, no shame in that. 

I would imagine Stockport will go up this season so my hope would be that they get Promotion and he plays a decent role in that, then goes back there for a fee next year. Either that or he absolutely tears it up for a season and then someone like Coventry comes calling 12 months later 

• Like 3

Â