Tom13

On 28/07/2023 at 12:50, Zatman said:

Worst thing for Barry career was scoring that goal vs Liverpool. It has lead to very unrealistic expectations

Nonsense. He'd come from Barcelona and cost almost £1m at 17. He was part of our FA Youth Cup winning team. There was a boatload of hype which preceded the goal.

I'm not writing him off - he's only 20 after all - but last season wasn't great for him (2 goals in 19 games in League 2, 1 goal in 22 games in League 1). Jacob Ramsey was already playing PL football at his age. Diaby was starting in the Bundesliga. The way his career his panning out it's looking more likely that goal will be the best thing he ever does. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I get the nasty feeling his candle is burning a little less brightly now.

He doesn't seem to have kicked on physically compared to how Jack did/JJ has after a season with the first team.  He's not particularly athletic, so you get the feeling he'd be bestest by most full backs in the Prem.

There's still time for him, but it's running out of he wants first team football at villa.  He's got to smash it this year and become a squaddie next season for the cup games.

Personally, I don't think he'll have a premier league career, but how many do? 

Hopefully he fulfills his potential he showed as a kid.

21 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I get the nasty feeling his candle is burning a little less brightly now.

He doesn't seem to have kicked on physically compared to how Jack did/JJ has after a season with the first team.  He's not particularly athletic, so you get the feeling he'd be bestest by most full backs in the Prem.

There's still time for him, but it's running out of he wants first team football at villa.  He's got to smash it this year and become a squaddie next season for the cup games.

Personally, I don't think he'll have a premier league career, but how many do? 

Hopefully he fulfills his potential he showed as a kid.

He didn't get the growth spurt. He's what 5'7, 5'8 and isn't broad the way Archer is. If he was like 5'10 and like 10lbs heavier he'd have the physicality to go along with hsi technique to make it in the prem. But right now he's probably going to top out at as relegation level prem, top end championship. 

It's all about his attitude now , if he has the drive to succeed then he will. Look at Albrighton, won a premier league title with his work ethic, being Messi only works for 0.0001% of players , the rest succeed with the right attitude and a decent skill level as a base. 

6 hours ago, Cizzler said:

Nonsense. He'd come from Barcelona and cost almost £1m at 17. He was part of our FA Youth Cup winning team. There was a boatload of hype which preceded the goal.

I'm not writing him off - he's only 20 after all - but last season wasn't great for him (2 goals in 19 games in League 2, 1 goal in 22 games in League 1). Jacob Ramsey was already playing PL football at his age. Diaby was starting in the Bundesliga. The way his career his panning out it's looking more likely that goal will be the best thing he ever does. 

I bet maybe 1% of Villa fans watched him before that Liverpool game

That goal and that idiot Klopp comparing him to Vardy made the hype on him get extreme. Age doesn't mean anything in football Drogba, Kevin Phillips, Vardy himself and others didnt get top flight breaks until later

From the bits I've seen of him (highlights, the odd U23 match and v Liverpool) I think there's enough there not to give up on him yet. He seems a natural talent in terms of control, dribbling and a decent finisher but as others have mentioned he probably hasn't got the physicality yet but that could still come in time. Worth remembering Grealish was a bit lightweight until he was 23 or so? Hopefully this loan works out for him and he can get 40 games under his belt this season and plenty of goals and assists.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a really good interview, not just standard after game chat, talks about his different loans, his time at Barcelona, why he signed for us, what he needs to do to improve his game, and comes across like a good natured character.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, useless said:

That's a really good interview, not just standard after game chat, talks about his different loans, his time at Barcelona, why he signed for us, what he needs to do to improve his game, and comes across like a good natured character.

Great interviewer too, if he's doing post match all season hopefully we'll get more and more info about how he's doing and how he feels the loan is going instead of the snapshots and stats we can easily access. 

Think Stockport is a good place for him, hopefully he can prove myself and others wrong and start to look like someone who has no business in league 2 

Â