Tom13

41 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Worst thing for Barry career was scoring that goal vs Liverpool. It has lead to very unrealistic expectations

I think it’s a combination of that and him coming from Barca, had we just picked him up straight from our feeder club then I don’t believe there would’ve been the same level of expectation/hype imo.

There was already high expectations before his Liverpool goal and he was already rated as one of the best youth players in the country before his move to Barcelona, he was England's main striker in his age group breaking goal scoring records and playing in same team as the likes of Bellingham and Musiala, there would have been high expectations on him regardless of whether we signed him from Barcelona or West Brom, just like there are high expectations on other youth players none of them singed from Barcelona or scored for our first team.

First season with us he scored thirteen goals and got one assist in Premier League two at U21 level, he scored five and assisted four in the FA Youth Cup win run, and bear in mind at that stage he was first year scholar age, the same age the likes of Rory Wilson and Kellyman were last season, and already at such a young age he looked too good for U21 football, most players that age haven't even played U21 football yet, or barely any at all, some are still struggling to get into the U18 team.

Point being he was highly rated for much more than just being signed from Barcelona.

Edited by useless
  • Like 3

Glad Louie has got a contract extension and Stockport are 5/1 second favourites with Coral for the League Two title, so he will be with a decent outfit next season. I hope he can be a regular starter with them, make a big impact there and further annoy a few more of those grumpy WBA fans. 

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

For who?

I think he already showed at Swindon he's a capable league 2 player so would imagine his level will eventually be top end league 1, bottom end championship.

Very remote chance he breaks through here now. If Archer with two excellent championship spells and regular goals for the England under 21s still can't quite establish a role here I can't see Barry doing it now.

If Stockport get promoted as looks like wouldn't shock me if they sign him permanently and we just insert a big sell on clause as they have plenty of money for the level they operate.

For him… whether it ultimately means he’ll have a chance at Villa or not I’m unsure - most likely not. But he needs to be playing week in week out for Stockport and scoring goals (or getting assists).  I think the best possible outcome for him (and us) would be that he does enough to secure a loan to a decent Championship side next season, where he does enough again to demand an eight figure fee or a shot at the Villa squad aged 22/23…

22 hours ago, thefeet1980 said:

For him… whether it ultimately means he’ll have a chance at Villa or not I’m unsure - most likely not. But he needs to be playing week in week out for Stockport and scoring goals (or getting assists).  I think the best possible outcome for him (and us) would be that he does enough to secure a loan to a decent Championship side next season, where he does enough again to demand an eight figure fee or a shot at the Villa squad aged 22/23…

Don't disagree that he needs a good loan but do disagree about the bit in bold

People put far too much emphasis on stats, what he needs to do is play, play well and villas team will see it

Had a decent game today but nothing special, he had a habit of running down a couple cul de sacs, I think it looked like he was keen to impress the new team. Stockport ended up winning 2-0 and they missed a pen so was a good result for them, their squad looks very strong. 

I'm worried about where he'll play as he seemed to drift all over, it looks like they tend to play 5-3-2 and so he might end up fighting for the 2 striker spots with the current forwards who are good for the level and now Powell who they signed from Stoke, who really has no business being in the 4th tier. 

He played the full 90 so might be worrying for nothing but I do think if he doesn't hit the ground running there's a few good seniors there that will happily take his place in the team. 

Just now, skarroki said:

Had a decent game today but nothing special, he had a habit of running down a couple cul de sacs, I think it looked like he was keen to impress the new team. Stockport ended up winning 2-0 and they missed a pen so was a good result for them, their squad looks very strong. 

I'm worried about where he'll play as he seemed to drift all over, it looks like they tend to play 5-3-2 and so he might end up fighting for the 2 striker spots with the current forwards who are good for the level and now Powell who they signed from Stoke, who really has no business being in the 4th tier. 

He played the full 90 so might be worrying for nothing but I do think if he doesn't hit the ground running there's a few good seniors there that will happily take his place in the team. 

And that has been the problem for him in mens football. Older stronger players . 

21 minutes ago, skarroki said:

This is part of the loan experience I think. Learn to battle for a place, learn that your name doesn't guarantee anything. If he performs well he will play. 

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Don't disagree that he needs a good loan but do disagree about the bit in bold

People put far too much emphasis on stats, what he needs to do is play, play well and villas team will see it

Philogene is impressing atm when people would have said Cam, AJ & Tim had better loans last season than him. I think he had to fight with Cardiff and seems like it's toughened him up. Plus he had a growth spurt as he's huge now. 

It looks like Barry has grown too from his latest picture joining Stockport. Hopefully he has a great season there and can make a leap up to the Championship next season. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, John said:

He started for Stockport on Saturday, but came off after 64 minutes due to injury. 

Was one of the top rated players for them until the injury. Hopefully nothing serious. Does seem like a player a lot of people in the lower leagues are excited by but my worry is he's maybe starting to be discussed as someone to bring in permanently after a good loan, instead of someone like Grealish at Notts County who's clearly too good for the league and has no chance of sticking around 

• Like 1

On 28/07/2023 at 13:33, Woody1000 said:

I think it’s a combination of that and him coming from Barca, had we just picked him up straight from our feeder club then I don’t believe there would’ve been the same level of expectation/hype imo.

He came from Tesco's and then he went to Spain

He played for Barca and then came home again 

He's F**cking on loan and don't you f**cking know

He's Louie, Louie Barryo 

• Haha 1

Â