Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

19 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

We should challenge people when they use the "b word" because, no matter how casually or innocuously it may be meant, it always* carries the gendered freight of ugly sexism, and ultimately, its meaning is based on denigrating women. It's especially a problem when we use it for women as a noun.

* The one exception may be in dog breeding, where the term is still used widely, if awkwardly. 

Equal rights 

They get called a word removed or a clearing in the woods too 🤷‍♂️

I definitely agree that Dune is Star Wars but for grown ups. As someone who only very recently watched the film because such a big fan of the book series I thought it was pretty good.

Edited by VillaJ100

8 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

I definitely agree that Dune is Star Wars but for grown ups. As someone who only very recently watched the film because such a big fan of the book series I thought it was pretty good.

A lot of very clever, interesting people like the Dunes. Usually the kiss of death for me. 😉😁

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Equal rights 

They get called a word removed or a clearing in the woods too 🤷‍♂️

Funnily enough I think the word 'word removed' over here is used very differently to in the U.S. or at least when I've seen it used on TV.  It seems to have a much more misogynistic use over there whereas I only use it towards males and wouldn't dream of saying it to a woman.  It's also been repurposed from being an insult to almost a friendly usage a lot of the time amongst mates, a bit like the N word or P words get used among groups of friends from the same race.

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Funnily enough I think the word 'word removed' over here is used very differently to in the U.S. or at least when I've seen it used on TV.  It seems to have a much more misogynistic use over there whereas I only use it towards males and wouldn't dream of saying it to a woman.  It's also been repurposed from being an insult to almost a friendly usage a lot of the time amongst mates, a bit like the N word or P words get used among groups of friends from the same race.

It definitely is

Like in my office you'd say "this word removed heres going on holiday at the weekend" 

"you lucky **** word removed" 

The construction industry probably isn't a good barometer though 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

The Ice Rink thread has run its course. 

There is always one who takes this thread too far. 

• Like 1

Two things today from Easter lunch 

First I was in the pub and in front of me was a large daily shouting out their order, young lad ordered pork and askwc if he could have a Yorkshire with it, the gean was horrified, surely that's nearly dead by now, the whole Yorkshire with beef thing?

Maybe we already have a Sunday roast thread but today I had lamb with Yorkshires, stuffing, mint sauce and a little bit of mustard on the side 

Secondly, my lamb dinner was perfectly carved using an electric knife, uniform slices of meat cut to the same thickness and pretty much the same size - is that next to go? Feels like an older generation thing, if I was serving it I'd have just chopped off a chunk of meat and let the eater cut it themselves, give someone a bit hefty slab of meat rather than perfectly sliced pieces, the slices are boring, I'm not looking at perfectly slicing a chicken breast I'm ripping bits of meat off the bone and putting it on the plate, it's miles better that way 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Aldi and Lidl is a lot cheaper because the food is quality is inferior.  

depends what you're getting, i obviously have a higher dependency of them

there's 2 issues, firstly they're not actually that cheap half the time, secondly they're just so **** boring depressing uninspiring places, i just don't see how you could ever walk in to an aldi and buy a weeks worth of food on the fly and make your meal plan up there and then based on what offers are on or what's new and looks good whilst at the same because the stock levels and quantity of lines is so poor you cant sit at home and do a list of what you actually want for the week either because they wont have half of it

they serve a purpose but to me as soon as you're looking to buy over 10 things you stay out of there

Â