Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

19 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I get it, it’s a tree and there’s kids dying. So, yeah I know, perspective.

It was just a picturesque landmark that people liked. I’ve been there, if my memory is correct it takes a bit of effort to reach it. You literally have to go out of your way to do this, just needless vandalism. 

It’s annoyed me more than the crooked house to be honest. And I love my pubs, but I suppose ultimately if more people had gone to that pub it might not have fallen into the wrong hands in the first place. What’s happened there is sad and cynical but I can see why it’s happened.

This thing with the tree is just senseless. The Thomas Hardy tree falling down was disappointing but at least that was down to nature.

But yes life goes on, my one WhatsApp group has already shared a meme with the tree now in heaven with the various celebrities along with the jokes about hoping that the investigation is being conducted by Special Branch.

Like you say, if it was felled by nature like the Hardy tree, or the picturesque lime tree at Kent cricket team's Canterbury ground, then its not as bad. Almost fitting that natural causes causes its demise. 

Vandalism though, just makes me angry. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Chindie said:

Monkey killing, monkey killing, monkey over
Pieces of the ground
Silly monkeys
Give them thumbs, they forge a blade
And where there's one, they're bound to divide it
Right in two
Right in two

Monkey killing, monkey killing monkey over
Pieces of the ground
Silly monkeys
Give them thumbs, they make a club
To beat their brother down
How they've survived so misguided is a mystery
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability
To lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here

So following on from our tool chat the other day, thiis was the first song of theirs I really wanted to play over and over again. and hence why I've been getting into 10,000 days.

There's a fan animation out there on YT which is great.

every threads a tool thread . :D

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

So following on from our tool chat the other day, thiis was the first song of theirs I really wanted to play over and over again. and hence why I've been getting into 10,000 days.

There's a fan animation out there on YT which is great.

every threads a tool thread . :D

It's better this way.

• Haha 1

On 29/09/2023 at 21:42, Mark Albrighton said:

It was just a picturesque landmark that people liked.

The strength of the media reaction was rather surprising but it just offers proof that the romantic movement is alive and kicking, and I would even suggest that it is enjoying a resurgence.

The romantic movement was a reaction to industrialisation and urbanisation, and so it's quite possible that its resurgence is just another sign that we have entered a post-industrial age.

Other aspects of romanticism are the contemporary emphasis on the importance of emotion and individualism.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a really weird act of vandalism.

As I understand it it's quite a walk to get there. And I assume it required a chainsaw. 

I'm impressed... in a way

Whilst also done during a storm with 70mph winds.

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a really weird act of vandalism.

As I understand it it's quite a walk to get there. And I assume it required a chainsaw. 

I'm impressed... in a way

I think I read somewhere that it was a two person band saw which is just stranger still

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Generational young culture slang being a thing is always a lot of bullshit. I think it's all much more complicated than generation X, Y, Z, etc. Half the slang supposedly used by this or that generation is either overblown in the attribution or just plain incorrect. I sometimes ask my students about slang terms they supposedly use and they're hilariously mystyfied. On the other hand, some slang terms are far more popular than imagined, and almost always, you people are fully aware of the terms they're supposed to be using and that's exactly why they don't. It's also funnay when younger people think they're using a trendy term, and older people had have been using it for ages. "Slays" is a good example in the States. This or that slays has been around for decades.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

On 10/10/2023 at 15:11, Paddywhack said:

I couldn’t care less if someone decides to leave a football match early.

They could be wearing a half and half scarf as well, that doesn’t bother me either.

Yep. Especially if they have trains to catch of whatever.

• Like 1

Making fun of people with reading and writing problems isn't funny and is in fact quite shameful, although that's probably only an unpopular opinion on this forum, if you don't believe me see the weekend football threads every weekend to see it's true, all because people are 'like' gluttons or want a cheap laugh. Should be encouraging these people for having a go, not driving them into secrecy and sorrow, and not very encouraging for people who want sign up but are nervous to do so because because their literacy skills might be deemed low either.

Also the word 'mate' employed in a sarcastic way in the small heath thread, a few times now and then fair enough, but in every other post get tedious

And yes I know saying these will make people do it even more, or 'hilariously' find a spelling/grammar mistake in this post and make fun of it, but that rather makes my point for me - the doing it even more, not making fun of this post.

• Like 1

Yeah I'd agree with that, it's almost now more like a competition as to who can spot it and who can get the best gif rather than going after keenan himself, I see it more as between the rest of us, who can react the quickest

And a bit like demglish, feels like a fixture of VT and more like mates ribbing each other rather than coming out of malice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Making fun of people with reading and writing problems isn't funny and is in fact quite shameful, although that's probably only an unpopular opinion on this forum, if you don't believe me see the weekend football threads every weekend to see it's true, all because people are 'like' gluttons or want a cheap laugh. Should be encouraging these people for having a go, not driving them into secrecy and sorrow, and not very encouraging for people who want sign up but are nervous to do so because because their literacy skills might be deemed low either.

Also the word 'mate' employed in a sarcastic way in the small heath thread, a few times now and then fair enough, but in every other post get tedious

And yes I know saying these will make people do it even more, or 'hilariously' find a spelling/grammar mistake in this post and make fun of it, but that rather makes my point for me - the doing it even more, not making fun of this post.

I do quite like the 'mate' thing if i'm totally honest. Not because i'm cruel, it just makes me laugh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

On a platform that is mostly 'font' orientated, spelling mistakes happen everyday. How are posters supposed to decipher a reading/writing problem of someone when predictive text also plays a part in misspelling words on people's posts? It happens to me all the time and a few latch onto it and a giggle follows. I've never taken offence to it and it's laughed off.

If there was a problem, I would pull any said poster up via a DM. I would encourage others to also do the same which would then help raise awareness perhaps?

We live in a era where 'were encouraged to speak up' about these things.

You made a thread the other day on here in OT about things that 'make you sad', two posters - myself being one, immediately asked you if everything was okay?.. we were ignored.

I see various posters quoting you/responding to you in other threads but never any direct response to them either. Is it ignorance? Is it an illness? Who knows.. It's a forum and we're not mind readers.

As for the small heath thread, that too has been a long running joke and a thread of pure hilarity and banter against that lot down the road. I'm sure you're well aware where "mate" originates.

If I see a thread I don't like, don't agree with, causes me offence or know naff all about, I avoid it altogether and do not even enter to read, let alone post.

On topic has became a universe where GIFs are awash... I either choose to accept it, or just ignore it. I guess avoiding it is also an option if it really bothered me.

All I can suggest (to anyone who cares) is maybe avoiding the places/threads/posters that you find offensive or uneasy to deal with. Ignore list is there for a reason, but no offence here, you don't do yourself any favours either with your posting style and not replying to others.

Generally, I think everything is done/posted on here in mostly good spirits/banter with no real offence or malice intended.

Like this post to you..   no offence intended.

• Like 2

Â