Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

The discussion about SNL and the recent news has reminded me of how I feel about Private Eye. I respect the investigative journalism bit of it but every few years I buy a copy to show them a bit of support and cringe at the bits that are apparently supposed to be jokes.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The discussion about SNL and the recent news has reminded me of how I feel about Private Eye. I respect the investigative journalism bit of it but every few years I buy a copy to show them a bit of support and cringe at the bits that are apparently supposed to be jokes.

I was a subscriber and ditched it because the cover was the only funny bit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Private Eye is very scattergun with it's humour and loads misses - it can't not given so much of what they produce is satire, cartoons and long running 'bits', but it can be very funny. It also suffers from the in-joke thing - there's gags and jibes that are born of things that started 40 years ago or more, some really niche, lots of which are very 'public schoolboy humour' at heart, that can completely fly over your head as to why they're funny, you just know they're supposed to be. But it can be very funny regardless, in amongst the misses.

SNL is just a bit sad. It's seen as the training ground for comedy writers and performers but it's clear it's a bit of a chore more often than not and a job for them, there's no spark to what they do they just have to churn out some skits every week regardless of whether they can think of something funny to do a skit with. Topical humour stuff works better with things like HIGNFY where basically you just need to be witty or come up with a couple of one liners and move on.

Also a lot of American humour is crap :ph34r:

• Like 1

As it happens I had a SNL sketch pop up not that long ago, it was “Washington’s Dream”. It’s slightly odd as they don’t usually cross my path. I assume managed to do so because it was pretty successfully sketch. Basically a gag about the metric/imperial systems. It was fine, good even. I imagine it’s the sort of thing that’s quite funny in person.

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Not PFE or anything but I genuinely don't understand the love for Sopranos. 

I didn't watch it properly back in the day and am going through it now (at her behest). I'm persevering (in to season 3) but some of the acting is wooden, the plot lines predictable and the dialogue is laughable. 

I remember when you used to wait in the car, and frankly you should still be there!*

It's one of the best shows ever made and I bloody love it.

1 hour ago, choffer said:

I didn't watch it properly back in the day and am going through it now (at her behest). I'm persevering (in to season 3) but some of the acting is wooden, the plot lines predictable and the dialogue is laughable. 

The thread is for unpopular opinions, not wrong opinions

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I for one am shocked that you have a negative opinion about a musical act that most people like

I for one am shocked that you think it’s a negative opinion, it’s pretty much fact. I'm also shocked that you can read into that post that I don't like Bowie, for the record I do, well up to Scary Monsters I.e. the classic period especially the Berlin Trilogy.

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I for one am shocked that you think it’s a negative opinion, it’s pretty much fact. I'm also shocked that you can read into that post that I don't like Bowie, for the record I do, well up to Scary Monsters I.e. the classic period especially the Berlin Trilogy.

Not a fan at the best of times, but it won't surprise you to know that the latest Bowie album I can tolerate is Ziggy. Hate the Berlin stuff. He was certainly ahead of his time, as he started making 80s albums in 1975.  :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Not a fan at the best of times, but it won't surprise you to know that the latest Bowie album I can tolerate is Ziggy. Hate the Berlin stuff. He was certainly ahead of his time, as he started making 80s albums in 1975.  :)

Each their own and all that but Ziggy was just Bowie going glam, followed by another glam character in Aladdin Sane. Bowie didn’t invent Glam. The Berlin trilogy was him, Iggy and Eno taking in Krautrock andd let’s be honest that was Bowie jumping on Eno who was jumping on Krautrock.

His genius if you like was taking the current zeitgeist and moulding into his own shape.

Anyway my point really was that AI is crap because there’s nothing in current trends that would make Bowie dress like that so the AI is crap

38 minutes ago, bickster said:

It was just a joke. I really don’t care. I don’t even know what the end of that post means

Edited by Stevo985

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Each their own and all that but Ziggy was just Bowie going glam, followed by another glam character in Aladdin Sane

Yeah, I agree. Frankly, I detested the image, and by the time he got to Aladdin Sane I could tolerate no more. But if you closed your eyes, Ziggy was acceptable guitar-based rock (The Man Who Sold the World was better though). 

Krautrock (mostly) leaves me cold. 

2 hours ago, choffer said:

My three favourite characters:

Phil Leotardo

Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano's breathing. 

The latter really came into its own in later seasons. 

ps. I love it! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It was just a joke. I really don’t care. I don’t even know what the end of that post means

So you made a joke at my expense on a subject you don’t understand. Fairy nuff

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

My three favourite characters:

Phil Leotardo

Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano's breathing. 

The latter really came into its own in later seasons. 

ps. I love it! 

I thought that the narrative arc lost its way, but as a collection of morality tales I found it powerful and very funny at times.

59 minutes ago, bickster said:

So you made a joke at my expense on a subject you don’t understand. Fairy nuff

**** me, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed today

I've never gone back and rewatched the Sopranos, but considering it started in 1999, how much high quality long-running television was on back then? I might be wrong and it just came along at the right time for me to enjoy this new exceptional show in my teens, but it seemed completely groundbreaking compared to the absolute dross on TV.

I'm not sure if it'd hold up as one of the greatest shows ever made if it was broadcast for the first time in 2023, but I always felt it left a legacy that some of the other following brilliant shows were able to latch onto. I kind of credit The Sopranos and then the Wire with kickstarting the idea that quality content wasn't just for cinema.

This might be complete bullshit and there were other exceptional television shows in the few years before that I just didn't see or appreciate.

Edited by Davkaus

Â