Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

On 12/01/2024 at 07:15, MakemineVanilla said:

So how do David Lynch's films hold up these days - I've always loved Blue Velvet but haven't watched it for a while?

Maybe quirkiness only works once?

I'm not sure, actually. What seemed quirky or shocking 3+ decades ago might seem silly or boring now, especially for younger viewers.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

The new Chicken Run movie is better than the original.

Fight me

Haven't seen it yet. But given that Paddington 2 is better than the original, it's certainly possible. 

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Haven't seen it yet. But given that Paddington 2 is better than the original, it's certainly possible. 

I enjoyed the first Chicken Run, and have it on DVD still. The kids thought it was fun. But the second one… Boy oh boy. I’d say we’ve watched it between 15-20 times since Christmas. They love it, and I’ve enjoyed it too. It feels a lot more ‘Hollywood’ than the first, better music and I’d say funnier moments too. 

6 hours ago, Rob182 said:

The new Chicken Run movie is better than the original.

Fight me

Loved the first one but haven't seen this one. 

My daughters are obsessed with it though so maybe I need to check it out. 

Does it miss the Mel Gibson voice? I'd like to think that Rooster could go on a drunken anti semitic rant at any moment. 

7 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Loved the first one but haven't seen this one. 

My daughters are obsessed with it though so maybe I need to check it out. 

Does it miss the Mel Gibson voice? I'd like to think that Rooster could go on a drunken anti semitic rant at any moment. 

At first I thought it would ruin it that Ginger and Rocky were recast, but after 5 minutes I didn’t notice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

YNWA full pelt by The Kop is a sight to behold. It gives me goosebumps and if I was a Liverpool fan I’d almost certainly be in tears singing it on big nights. 

It used to be sung at Villa Park and a lot of other grounds but it seems that clubs and fans alike prefer to establish their own unique brand.

In the days of Villa's struggle when there was the first signs of light at the end of the tunnel, I've seen grown men in tears as they sang along to YNWA.

Ironically it has become an anachronism for Liverpool and especially the younger generation because they've won so much since they were promoted in 1962.

They were always seen as a second-division club before that and the song's pathos was sincerely felt and enjoyed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'll be even more controversial than that - Keep Right On is also a damn good anthem, and if I'm honest, better than anything we've got. 

I agree, but it hurts. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I believe Lescott’s car tweet was accidental. 

I think it's quite obvious that it was to be honest. Funny though :D 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I believe Lescott’s car tweet was accidental. 

If anything, you'd think having had to watch his "performances" up to that point that as a fanbase we'd have been very ready to believe he was accident-prone.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'll be even more controversial than that - Keep Right On is also a damn good anthem, and if I'm honest, better than anything we've got. 

Totally agree Mike, it’s one of the best anthems out there. It doesn’t conjure up the tearful emotions like YNWA but it’s a great anthem 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

nah not for me...sounds dreary. i don't think there are any clubs whose anthems i particularly envy to be honest

though i remember when i used to sit in the lower north and we played man u that they had an annoyingly large number of unique and very catchy songs...not sure if still the case

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I once had a Blues programme from their 1956 Cup Final and inside were the words to Keep Right On.

I have often wondered whether this was the first time the song became their anthem?

I gave the programme to a bluenose and I hope he looked after it.

10 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I once had a Blues programme from their 1956 Cup Final and inside were the words to Keep Right On.

I have often wondered whether this was the first time the song became their anthem?

I gave the programme to a bluenose and I hope he looked after it.

Nah, it goes back to some Scottish player in the 1920s, Gordon someone possibly iirc

Â