Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

36 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Its easier to win the day if you post primarily in On Topic. I am saying it. You can post a tweet and get 20 likes. 

Of my 120 wins, I'd be surprised if more than a dozen (if that) were from On Topic. 

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

The route for me is wait until you and @StefanAVFC and @bickster are somewhere for the weekend without any phone signal at all, Wales perhaps, and then strike. post a load of Nick Cave, Fall and Half Man Half Biscuit videos, locate some anti thatcher, or whoever is leader now, tweets, post something filmy to get the film nerds salivating and then round it off with something nice in the Wrasslin and Cricket threads. Got to do this when Villa arent playing of course.

Playbook, pure playbook.

• Like 2

By far my most ‘liked’ content ever was in On Topic. I just posted a pic of Stan Petrov and family and thought no more of it.

Logged in the next day and instead of the usual 0,1, 2 or 3 there were like 25, 30 likes for the photo.

It all gets a bit Lord of the Rings then and you can be tempted to go hunting likes for affirmation. Find yourself cruising the web for pictures of Gary Shaw or Erica Roe. I think I’ve said it before, I think it would be better for mental health if likes were reduced, got rid of, or regularly re set to zero.

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

By far my most ‘liked’ content ever was in On Topic. I just posted a pic of Stan Petrov and family and thought no more of it.

Logged in the next day and instead of the usual 0,1, 2 or 3 there were like 25, 30 likes for the photo.

It all gets a bit Lord of the Rings then and you can be tempted to go hunting likes for affirmation. Find yourself cruising the web for pictures of Gary Shaw or Erica Roe. I think I’ve said it before, I think it would be better for mental health if likes were reduced, got rid of, or regularly re set to zero.

Erica Roe you say. Notes down Erica Roe.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I can’t see at a glance the number of likes/posts that someone has. As such it’s not something that takes up much thought. 

I think I used to be able to, the running totals were by the username/avatar. And early on when I was first here I would use it as a sort of rule of thumb as to whether that poster had a reasonable standing among his peers while I was gauging the views on offer.

“Well, he has 17,682 posts and nearly 14,000 likes. That’s pretty good, probably knows what he’s talking about. So if this guy thinks that Richards and Lescott are a solid enough defensive pairing, that’s creditable enough for me.”

I have a fairly good reputation, it exceeds my post count, I would say if I post any opinion on any sport at all aside from Eurovision, you need to question that last statement.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

For ages I was stuck on 9 days which was slightly irritating. Eventually landed on 10 and now couldn’t give a toss about winning another one. 

I'm stuck on 13, can't deal with that.

Can 100 people please like this post?

Olivertwist GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s the easy route. Any fool can write blues smell of poo and get a bunch of likes.

Off topic, you have to find the fashionable thing of the day and say it smells of poo. Much more work involved. You’ve got to provide acceptable evidence that poo smells for people with wilful anosmia for one thing. 

**** the Tories.

1,000 likes plz.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Further to this, has anyone ever won the day with a terrible post or by being a complete bastard?

As in a post that was that negatively received that it received enough crying or confused reactions to win it the day.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Haha 1

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Further to this, has any ever won the day with a terrible post or by being a complete bastard?

As in a post that was that negatively received that it received enough crying or confused reactions to win it the day.

I bet they have. Some names do spring to mind. 

• Like 1

There was a time when there were a whole load of negative reactions to posts made by an unfamiliar face to Off Topic that ended with something along the lines of I am off to play golf and I am considerably richer than yow. Those posts got a lot of traction but can't recall the posts to see if that won them the day. My assumption would be all reactions would win go towards winning the day. I tend to add the laugh emoji as pity, but I think some use it to say something is funny.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

There was a time when there were a whole load of negative reactions to posts made by an unfamiliar face to Off Topic that ended with something along the lines of I am off to play golf and I am considerably richer than yow. Those posts got a lot of traction but can't recall the posts to see if that won them the day. My assumption would be all reactions would win go towards winning the day. I tend to add the laugh emoji as pity, but I think some use it to say something is funny.

That was amazing :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Of my 120 wins, I'd be surprised if more than a dozen (if that) were from On Topic. 

Of my 406 wins...

I have nothing to say. I just wanted to drop in that I had 406 wins

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Of my 406 wins...

I have nothing to say. I just wanted to drop in that I had 406 wins

Hold my beer, back in a tick…

…meh, the counter’s bust and its not important anyway.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Further to this, has anyone ever won the day with a terrible post or by being a complete bastard?

Yeah I think I have. Well, maybe not strictly by being a bastard. I believe I won one day when I was the bearer of bad news regarding Keith Flint. Lots of sad likes that day. 

I noticed that I’d gone from 8 to 9 days won (or whatever) and so I checked what I had said that was so awesome that day. Bit depressing.

Â