Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Before it gets brought up, I'm going to keep it on topic with another one: Twin Peaks is **** boring.

I absolutely loved it first time round. 

Tried it again a couple of years ago, and quickly tired of it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Buckle up you Americans. Saturday night Live is the worst example of american comedy there is. I have watched episodes through the years, and although I think some of the former cast are talented, the show itself is an unfunny shambles. I think the only reason it remains is the outcry if it was cancelled, if it was starting now it wouldn't make it past pilot. 

I think you need some examples to prove your point! I think it's often uneven and a bit dated, but some funny bits come along. Not sure how well some of these would work for a British audience. Here's a relatively recent one that's good.

Another recent pretty simple one I really liked ...

Edited by Marka Ragnos

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It was pretty revolutionary when it came out. It changed the game in a lot of ways, it was pretty gripping stuff. Viewed now, it just doesn’t have the same impact. Deserves a place in a list of game changing TV shows but that’s all, it doesn’t have the same impact now.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Before it gets brought up, I'm going to keep it on topic with another one: Twin Peaks is **** boring.

I never got into it either. Always feels like it's trying to explore the dark underbelly of some idealised, ultrastylised, anachronistic America that is basically a Boomer phantasmagoria. Wasn't the sheriff in original series named Harry Truman even? There are other American underbellies I feel more fascinated by.

9 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I think you need some examples to prove your point! I think it's often uneven and a bit dated, but some funny bits come along. Not sure how well some of these would work for a British audience. Here's a relatively recent one that's good.

Another recent pretty simple one I really liked ...

This is one chosen at random but will get some more examples later

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

SNL completely unfunny but that's not an unpopular opinion. It has been funny in the past though, some funny skits.

Yeah some very funny stuff has come out of it, and if you only saw the odd sketch on youtube you'd be fooled into thinking it's always hilarious.

If you watch a whole SNL show you quickly realise it's 95% shite

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Jimmy Fallon looks like a massive word removed, an American James Cordon.

I think a lot of stories tell that he is a bit of a word removed. He does look to be one though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Same. It was a sensation when it came out. Very subversive for mainstream network TV in the U.S. I loved the moody atmosphere and deliberate pace. 

My friend group had watch parties and then discussed it all week until the next one. 

It was definitely a product of that very specific time period coming out of the 80's. 

Just doesn't quite hold up now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Same. It was a sensation when it came out. Very subversive for mainstream network TV in the U.S. I loved the moody atmosphere and deliberate pace. 

My friend group had watch parties and then discussed it all week until the next one. 

It was definitely a product of that very specific time period coming out of the 80's. 

Just doesn't quite hold up now.

So how do David Lynch's films hold up these days - I've always loved Blue Velvet but haven't watched it for a while?

Maybe quirkiness only works once?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So how do David Lynch's films hold up these days - I've always loved Blue Velvet but haven't watched it for a while?

Maybe quirkiness only works once?

If you asked me in my teens what was my favourite film, Blue Velvet would have been mentioned, but not returned to it in the last 20 plus years.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Seat68 said:

This is one chosen at random but will get some more examples later

Not super funny. Like a lot of sketch comedy,  much depends on cultural context, and I think that sketch was satirizing a really specific situation in Congress that week. It's not gonna be funny at all if you don't know some of the characters it's making fun of. I wouldn't expect many people who are not familiar with these characters to find the sketch finally at all. But Rishi jokes aren't all that funny to me because I just don't pay attention to him that much. Liz Truss was a lot easier to make fun of. But think of some semi-obscure, weird MP, and that would be more equivalent to Rep Elise Stefanik. 

This type of political humour isn't really that funny to me generally. I do think that the older, broader humour on SNL that depended on individual comedians was generally a lot more funny. I don't disagree with you.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

12 hours ago, Genie said:

Jimmy Fallon looks like a massive word removed, an American James Cordon.

Its the way he howls with laughter at anything said on his show. Its so fake, its cringeworthy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

This type of political humor isn't really that funny to me generally.

I find political humour to be boring, in general. I'm watching comedy to get away from politics! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its the way he howls with laughter at anything said on his show. Its so fake, its cringeworthy.

Honestly don't understand how he has a late-night show. He's never funny any more.

I tend to get mixed up with Fallon and Kimmel in the battle of the Jimmys who have talk shows. I only really ever see these names, rarely have I seen a clip of their shows. 

I dare say all shows are hard work to one extent or another, but these nightly talk shows must be extremely stressful. (I am somewhat basing this on the short lived Aaron Sorkin series “Studio 60 on the sunset strip”).

When it was on More4 I used watch the daily show with Jon Stewart. My memory is that that had a good batting average in the comedic stakes.

• Like 2

Â