January Transfers 2019/20

sne

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

But none of them look like prospects - I will be kind and maybe Luiz - but Target and Nkamba for example look like Stephen Warnock and Isiah Osborne ! 

Nor did Benteke when he first came.....who knows after a season of settling in.  Many foreign players take the first season to settle in, even great players like Salah and De Bruyne at Chelsea but look at them now at Liverpool and Man City.  Not comparing quality obviously but it takes time to settle for some players and others it doesn’t. Maybe they end up being rubbish full stop.

P.s. I know you said Targett but I’m focusing on most coming from foreign leagues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wheres the evidence we signed those two at the expense of a striker?

There isn't any, but that isn't an excuse for not signing one.

I keep getting told we were in for this striker that was going to break our transfer fee and propel us into the top 8 all on his own on the last day of the window. Some people seem to think this excuses the club from the fact that we didn't actually sign one, nor another winger for that matter. It doesn't. I'm not going to feel any better about being relegated safe in the knowledge that we tried on the last day of the window. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

There isn't any, but that isn't an excuse for not signing one.

I keep getting told we were in for this striker that was going to break our transfer fee and propel us into the top 8 all on his own on the last day of the window. Some people seem to think this excuses the club from the fact that we didn't actually sign one, nor another winger for that matter. It doesn't. I'm not going to feel any better about being relegated safe in the knowledge that we tried on the last day of the window. 

It wasn’t an excuse or a defence of the club. Just don’t think any of our other signings impacted the lack of striker signings. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

We would've lost Jack and all our loan players.(maybe not Mings) had we didn't get promoted, at which point there is absolutely no reason to assume we'd get promoted the next season or the season after or beyond, as FFP **** us.

We didn't get promoted too early. We got promoted just in time before the effects of multiple seasons of high spending in the Championship took serious hold. Actually, scratch that, we probably got promoted a season too late in that case, we were just lucky enough to be bought by new owners.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Jeez some of you need to lighten up with the criticism . It’s almost like some were itching for an excuse to moan and have a pop and now after a few dodgy results and performances all our summer signings are shit and we are doomed ... laughable if you compare where we were a year -18 months ago ... have faith UTV 

I just think in the main we have brought a load of rubbish.

As I said earlier we have seen darker times - the big worry for me is that we seem to have limited ideas at the very top of the club.

• Like 1

From Dean Smiths comments that he has no idea on any progress and will have to go with what we've got on Saturday & next week if nobody comes in & the lack of "genuine" links or "smoke" coming from an reputable sources it is beginning to look like we are actually nowhere near signing a striker. Dean also stated that it may be the end of the month as prices become more realistic etc so i'm settling in for the long haul! Worryingly it may be too late to save the season by then if we lose the next 3 of course.

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

But they didn't close the window early - we knew the parameters we were working in - no two ways about it it was an awful window - 

The window didn't close early, but the summer window is much shorter than it used to be, and we had a lot of players to bring in, we were much busier than every other club in the League, we were trying to sign another forward, it went to the end of the window and fell through and Brighton had stolen our plan B, so what are you going to do? Hindsight is a wonderful thing, it's easy to say we should of just got the plan B in and played it safe now.

I disagree, it wasn't an 'awful' window in my opinion, it could of been better of course, but we've added plenty who's values have already increased, and some who's value could still yet increase. We'd of liked/expected them to of done better of course, but that is not down to the players alone. I think we should of bought a little more experience in the middle of the pitch but by all accounts Smith got what he wanted and was happy enough at the start of the season.

5 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

We have taken a lot of risks  the recruitment has been appalling.  

Smith strikes me as the kind of person who likes to takes risks, I don't think the recruitment has been appalling (see above), but I think we should expect more from the players we have bought, 5 months is quite early to write off so many players careers at Villa.

Just now, Teale's 'tache said:

The window didn't close early, but the summer window is much shorter than it used to be, and we had a lot of players to bring in, we were much busier than every other club in the League, we were trying to sign another forward, it went to the end of the window and fell through and Brighton had stolen our plan B, so what are you going to do? Hindsight is a wonderful thing, it's easy to say we should of just got the plan B in and played it safe now.

I disagree, it wasn't an 'awful' window in my opinion, it could of been better of course, but we've added plenty who's values have already increased, and some who's value could still yet increase. We'd of liked/expected them to of done better of course, but that is not down to the players alone. I think we should of bought a little more experience in the middle of the pitch but by all accounts Smith got what he wanted and was happy enough at the start of the season.

Smith strikes me as the kind of person who likes to takes risks, I don't think the recruitment has been appalling (see above), but I think we should expect more from the players we have bought, 5 months is quite early to write off so many players careers at Villa.

You say it wasn't an appalling window and in the same sentence tell us we should be expecting more from the players we bought. You've lost me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, midian said:

What worries me is the next 3 games could define our season and still not got a striker in to have couple of training sessions etc worrying times

Exactly - We were always on for zero points V man city - but if our points haul from the next two is zero - it looks hard to recover IMO.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

We would've lost Jack and all our loan players.(maybe not Mings) had we didn't get promoted, at which point there is absolutely no reason to assume we'd get promoted the next season or the season after or beyond, as FFP **** us.

We didn't get promoted too early. We got promoted just in time before the effects of multiple seasons of high spending in the Championship took serious hold. Actually, scratch that, we probably got promoted a season too late in that case, we were just lucky enough to be bought by new owners.

Covered a lot of bases there mate.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

You say it wasn't an appalling window and in the same sentence tell us we should be expecting more from the players we bought. You've lost me. 

We added plenty of potential, numbers and value to the squad in the summer (not appalling).

That potential hasn't fully bore fruit yet, there have been plenty of encouraging performances undermined by too many individual and tactical errors, which are taking longer than we would like to sort out (should be expecting more).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Im  not sure who buys or sanctions the players. Smith will always play the party line and say he is happy. For me and IMO  you cant take so many risks in this league. He wanted Phillips from Leeds - we got -  not so marvellous  and jog a bit Luiz. A better risk for me was to pay Leeds for Phillips . Its all opinions but the recent signings with the exception of Mings Heaton   simply not good enough.  The season was all about survival , we needed battlers and experience that we have not bought! 

6 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

We added plenty of potential, numbers and value to the squad in the summer (not appalling).

That potential hasn't fully bore fruit yet, there have been plenty of encouraging performances undermined by too many individual and tactical errors, which are taking longer than we would like to sort out (should be expecting more).

Potential and numbers mean nothing if we get relegated. As for value, I don't see anyone buying Nakamba, Trezeguet, Wesley and Targett off us for more than we paid.

The individual errors are because they aren't good enough.