January Transfers 2019/20

sne

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

Hmmmmm

I would say we have been in worse situations

But the main strategy plank - ie a sporting director to purchase the players and a head coach to coach them seems to be in tatters or very close to it.

IMO the recruitment has been expensive, wasteful and poorly targeted - we have no strikers but an abundance of CB'S ! - 

I disagree with your ‘main strategy plank’.  Most of these, as was noted, were long term projects with sufficient now to avoid relegation.  As I said we were one striker short.  If we had got Maupay as well for example we may have been a few points better off which is the difference between success and failure.

58 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

So actual work experience? Sounds like a good thing.

For the experience to be really valuable, it would have been better for an experienced journo to actually show him how to do an interview.  But my point was that stories in clickbait local papers can literally be written by 16 year olds.

I might ask him how fans reacted to this surprising transfer link.... 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I was banging the Cahill drum in the summer on a free transfer, very few on here agreed with me. The money saved on Konsa and/or Engels could have gone towards getting another striker or being the difference in landing Maupay. 

Now it looks like we will be playing up to 6 games with a 5-5-0 formation, 3 of those against direct relegation candidates.  

Personally I wouldn't have signed Jota and Konsa if it meant missing out on another striker - which appears to be what has happened.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Personally I wouldn't have signed Jota and Konsa if it meant missing out on another striker - which appears to be what has happened.

From what I recall the main reason we didn't sign another striker in the summer was time, we simply ran out of it. Money wasn't an issue as such, with Maupay we didn't value him as much as Brentford did and so did not pay the price they were asking (rightly or wrongly). Also, it was believed at the time we were in for a bigger name, although it never came out who that might of been, and we were waiting on what was going to happen there when Brighton jumped in for Maupay and agreed a fee.

I don't think the signings of Jota or Konsa had any bearing on why we didn't get another striker.

We took a risk and it didn't pay off and that's part of the reason we find ourselves in the situation we are in.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

From what I recall the main reason we didn't sign another striker in the summer was time, we simply ran out of it. Money wasn't an issue as such, with Maupay we didn't value him as much as Brentford did and so did not pay the price they were asking (rightly or wrongly). Also, it was believed at the time we were in for a bigger name, although it never came out who that might of been, and we were waiting on what was going to happen there when Brighton jumped in for Maupay and agreed a fee.

I don't think the signings of Jota or Konsa had any bearing on why we didn't get another striker.

We took a risk and it didn't pay off and that's part of the reason we find ourselves in the situation we are in.

But they didn't close the window early - we knew the parameters we were working in - no two ways about it it was an awful window - 

36 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I was banging the Cahill drum in the summer on a free transfer, very few on here agreed with me. The money saved on Konsa and/or Engels could have gone towards getting another striker or being the difference in landing Maupay. 

Now it looks like we will be playing up to 6 games with a 5-5-0 formation, 3 of those against direct relegation candidates.  

Yep, I got the Cahill call completely wrong. Hands up on that one. I was conditioned by Richards' gammy knees and Lescott's lack of professionalism to think it would be a disaster, but actually he's been a brilliant signing for Palace. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

But they didn't close the window early - we knew the parameters we were working in - no two ways about it it was an awful window - 

It wasn’t an awful window, far from it

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

We have taken a lot of risks  the recruitment has been appalling.  

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I disagree with your ‘main strategy plank’.  Most of these, as was noted, were long term projects with sufficient now to avoid relegation.  As I said we were one striker short.  If we had got Maupay as well for example we may have been a few points better off which is the difference between success and failure.

But none of them look like prospects - I will be kind and maybe Luiz - but Target and Nkamba for example look like Stephen Warnock and Isiah Osborne ! 

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

OK.

I think everybody agreed at the end of the window that we needed another striker....possibly even another attacker but my sense from this forum, others and generally that we had rebuilt the squad, we had added quality, brought for the future which people have been moaning on here for what seems like a decade rather than buying has-been players.

We still have that, yes some players haven’t worked out, some may work out given more time and we’ve been very unlucky with striker injuries and losing McGinn and Heaton (and Ming’s for crucial games in December).

• Like 1