New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

to be honest i think Davis could do a job as striker for us if required, and i think Wesley will develop as the season goes on.

I wouldnt say no to a striker, but i do think our single critical position that we need to purchase in Jan is a winger/inside forward.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I wouldnt say no to a striker, but i do think our single critical position that we need to purchase in Jan is a winger/inside forward.

Yup. I'd like to be greedy and get an incredibly pacy striker as well. Or a winger that's incredibly pacy and can cover both roles.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Benteke was immense for us. He was in the same conversation as Van Persie, Bale, Suarez and Lukaku at the time.

There was another player in that discussion, his name was Michu, and he got a big move too. Didn't rise to the next level for whatever reason.

Sometimes a player really shines within a system and everything they attempt comes off. I think that's the case with Benteke and Michu.

Would any of us jump at the opportunity to re-sign Jordan Ayew? I'm not having a pop at Ayew, but I think he's potentially even a better option than Benteke these days.

There's a few ex-Villa players who have made the grade when their big move came calling and who could probably still do a job here, they are..

Milner (no shit sherlock), Ashley Young, Delph (last I saw) and Gueye. That's all I can think of.

It's a big no to Benteke from me.

As for our wingers and a forward..

I think El Ghazi and Trezegeut have shown they can play at this standard, despite not being elite.

Jota has some nice ideas but hits the dead end with a frequency that makes whatever dribble or run he made redundant more often than not.

Wes and Davis I have confidence in both to be viable options and contribute to our system having the strengths capable of winning games.

I am not desperate to see any additions, but if I were to pick one it would be a striker who has a bit more potency to their moves than Wes or Davis.

Picture a version of Kodjia with his skills and technique more refined with a slightly higher football IQ and decision making ability. That would be ideal.

20 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I think El Ghazi and Trezegeut have shown they can play at this standard, despite not being elite.

Jota has some nice ideas but hits the dead end with a frequency that makes whatever dribble or run he made redundant more often than not.

Wes and Davis I have confidence in both to be viable options and contribute to our system having the strengths capable of winning games.

I am not desperate to see any additions, but if I were to pick one it would be a striker who has a bit more potency to their moves than Wes or Davis.

Picture a version of Kodjia with his skills and technique more refined with a slightly higher football IQ and decision making ability. That would be ideal.

Tammy Abraham? :(

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

How about a cheeky £15M bid for Chris Wood in January? Would provide some competition for Wesley, learn him how to head the ball and be a target man and would be a decent option for the way we play. And Burnley surely needs some money right?

They would laugh at £15m

5 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

How about a cheeky £15M bid for Chris Wood in January? Would provide some competition for Wesley, learn him how to head the ball and be a target man and would be a decent option for the way we play. And Burnley surely needs some money right?

Do they?

On 26/09/2019 at 22:54, MaVilla said:

to be honest i think Davis could do a job as striker for us if required, and i think Wesley will develop as the season goes on.

Maybe he could but after Saturday I don’t think Smith feels the same way.

22 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

1) He’d cost more than £15m and 2) we need someone who is proper top-drawer. We can’t afford any more risks on this position. We need to properly fork out IMO. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Spoony said:

1) He’d cost more than £15m and 2) we need someone who is proper top-drawer. We can’t afford any more risks on this position. We need to properly fork out IMO. 

Well that's not going to happen is it.

Proper top drawer? Aguero? Don't think that calibre of player will be coming to a relegation battle.

Fork out? Wes was £22m and has been honking. Absolutely no chance we'll buy anyone for >£22m again in January.

I agree with the point we might need it, but we aren't going to get it.

I think we can succeed just with the addition of some solid players tbh. We can't keep carrying bad players, when Taylor, Wes and Hourihane all start that's been like having 8 players straight away.

Wonder if we could get Odsonne Edouard, but he could be too expensive. Bruno Petkovic from Dinamo could be worth a look as well, used to playing as a target man.

23 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

On 26/09/2019 at 22:54, MaVilla said:

but how many attempts do we have.....We bought El Ghazi, Trez and Jota.

I would have liked that Matteo Guendouzi for 7 mill, more of a midfielder ,but cracking buy.

On 27/09/2019 at 05:59, A'Villan said:

I picture a Kodjia with the attitude and approach to finishing of Costa  or Drogba......The ability to force issues and force defenders in to errors.

Defenders in this league with make so many less, unforced errors than the championship......we have to get strikers who force them in to errors.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Well that's not going to happen is it.

Proper top drawer? Aguero? Don't think that calibre of player will be coming to a relegation battle.

Fork out? Wes was £22m and has been honking. Absolutely no chance we'll buy anyone for >£22m again in January.

I agree with the point we might need it, but we aren't going to get it.

I think we can succeed just with the addition of some solid players tbh. We can't keep carrying bad players, when Taylor, Wes and Hourihane all start that's been like having 8 players straight away.

Wonder if we could get Odsonne Edouard, but he could be too expensive. Bruno Petkovic from Dinamo could be worth a look as well, used to playing as a target man.

Weren't we allegedly after Leao? Or was that bollox.

Either way, I'm sure there is money, especially if we are in a decent position to stay up, and or push on come January.

You look at some of the players we have bought, Trezeguet, Nakamba, Engels, Guilbert for relatively cheap, and you have to have faith that our scouts will get it right (for the most part).

There is no way another premier league club would sell their striker to us because it would strengthen an opponent. They’d also slap a ridiculous price tag on their head for them to even entertain a conversation.

If we’re looking at a striker in Jan and don’t want to be completely ripped off, we need to look abroad. Again, it’s a risk because they need to hit the ground running and that isn’t always easy. 

Ultimately, we find ourselves in this position because we didn’t complete the job in the summer which is a shame because I think we bought some bloody decent players on the whole. 

We’re a good striker away from being a top 10 side. I firmly believe it.

Edited by Delphinho123

57 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

You look at some of the players we have bought, Trezeguet, Nakamba, Engels, Guilbert for relatively cheap, and you have to have faith that our scouts will get it right (for the most part).

There is no way another premier league club would sell their striker to us because it would strengthen an opponent. They’d also slap a ridiculous price tag on their head for them to even entertain a conversation.

If we’re looking at a striker in Jan and don’t want to be completely ripped off, we need to look abroad. Again, it’s a risk because they need to hit the ground running and that isn’t always easy. 

Ultimately, we find ourselves in this position because we didn’t complete the job in the summer which is a shame because I think we bought some bloody decent players on the whole. 

We’re a good striker away from being a top 10 side. I firmly believe it.

It's definitely possible.

There is more work to do elsewhere though.

14 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely no chance we'll buy anyone for >£22m again in January.

I think it depends  on our position

If we are cut adrift in a relegation place i doubt we will sign anyone and if silly money bids come in you might even see McGinn and Grealish go ( i think its unlikely but £100m for the pair could be tempting to the board)

if we are safely towards the 40 point target and mid table then I think they might hold fire on big signings until the summer window 

if we are in a dog fight for survival they might decide a £30m striker is the solution ( the £30m striker might need some persuading mind you )  ..

We know the board recently issued more shares to raise £100m in capital for future transfer plans , what we don't know is if they did this with Jan in mind