New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

premiership goalscoring record counts for nothing. look at torres when he went to chelsea. we just need someone who works hard and gets in the right positions.

and your point around signing players from leagues such as the 'danish league'...southampton signed sadio mane from the austrian league. the gems are out there, playing in the so called lesser leagues right now. we just need to find them.

Yes they are.......and they always will be.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I agree we need a new forward. As we needed another in the summer and I believe we were looking for one, however it must be the right one. A hard worker, pacy, good technique and can also play wide I believe is the blueprint of club (which seems right to me). 

Personally I believe many are getting on Wesley's back prematurely. He does work hard but it's not easy for him. The pace and intensity of the premier league is on a whole different level to what he is used to. Quite simply he is struggling to be in the right place at the right time, whether that's getting on the end of things or in the build up and this was to be expected. Also as a target man the premier league is the hardest league to make a name for yourself. Also 2 goals in 5 is 15 goals for the season form, which would be a good return. 

Fair comments.

There still is a fair bit of stop/ start in our build up play and a tad of dithering or indecision........that does not help a striker, who relies so much on timing that run.

Edited by TRO

22 hours ago, screwdriver said:

Forget about these kosavan wonderkids who have scored 5 goals in the danish league.........The next transfer windows decides our future. Proven premiership goalscoring experience is crucial. Jesus should be in wes edens office right now on knees with a bielsa style power point presentation.

Alfredo Morelos does have proven Premiership goalscoring experience.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 04/10/2019 at 12:17, Sam-AVFC said:

Who would you suggest that you think we'd have a shot at signing? I see this a lot, but I don't think there are half as many high scoring strikers as there were 10 years ago.

Looking at last years list, Mitrovic is the only one I see as being at all realistic and he 'only' got 11 goals.

Said before but Batshuyai. Not playing at Chelsea again and last season Palace took him in February and he scored 5 or 6 goals to help them stay up when they were just above bottom 3.

He'd be near top of list for me anyway.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2019 at 23:12, Demitri_C said:

Maupay looking great today. Big mistake not signing him I think 

Hopefully he doesn't make us regret our decision next game.

Edited by Hornso

On 05/10/2019 at 14:12, Demitri_C said:

Maupay looking great today. Big mistake not signing him I think 

Wesley looked great today... But we do need more depth in that position; still intrigued to see what Kodjia can do.

Wesley's on track to hit high teens - that is very good for the PL for a club in our position.  For the last few seasons there have only been 4 forwards who hit 20+, who are exceptional and (apart from Vardy) unsurprisingly all play for the top clubs.  We also have plenty of goals in midfield.

I think if we carry on like this a Jan signing might be on, but only if the right target is available at the right price.  I could see Edouard be a possibility.

Similarly, if we continue with only one winger + Jack, I doubt we'd be shopping for another wide man in Jan.

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

Wesley's on track to hit high teens - that is very good for the PL for a club in our position.  For the last few seasons there have only been 4 forwards who hit 20+, who are exceptional and (apart from Vardy) unsurprisingly all play for the top clubs.  We also have plenty of goals in midfield.

I think if we carry on like this a Jan signing might be on, but only if the right target is available at the right price.  I could see Edouard be a possibility.

Similarly, if we continue with only one winger + Jack, I doubt we'd be shopping for another wide man in Jan.

He has scored more goals than joelinton, pepe and the same as haller who was double the price.

We should not be signing another target man type striker. We have two  young talented players of that ilk already. Not just that but we won't be either. Mitrovic and Batshuayi won't be even looked at. We will be looking at leao / Augustin type players, that's what we are looking for.  Quick, skillful, can also play as an inside forward coming inside off the wing.

Maupay is decent but for me that Connelly kid looks better. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

We should not be signing another target man type striker. We have two  young talented players of that ilk already. Not just that but we won't be either. Mitrovic and Batshuayi won't be even looked at. We will be looking at leao / Augustin type players, that's what we are looking for.  Quick, skillful, can also play as an inside forward coming inside off the wing.

Maupay is decent but for me that Connelly kid looks better. 

Agreed, someone who can play across the whole front line.

A David Neres type player (obviously wont be him)

• Like 1

I would like to see a  Billy whizz type come in like Vardy or Aaron Connolly.

We have Wes, Keinan and Kodj all above 6 foot........Need a will o' the wisp type.

Forgive me for being naive... but we are tied for 6th in terms of goals scored (even if you knock off 3 goals from that tally given the rout on Saturday, we are top half).

Feels to me like we are doing more than enough up front to stay up. The real question for me is what is missing that we’ve been unable to maintain leads. Is that just experience and time - I think so?

3 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Forgive me for being naive... but we are tied for 6th in terms of goals scored (even if you knock off 3 goals from that tally given the rout on Saturday, we are top half).

Feels to me like we are doing more than enough up front to stay up. The real question for me is what is missing that we’ve been unable to maintain leads. Is that just experience and time - I think so?

Why would you knock 3 off? They all count. 

3 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Could also be the lack of viable attacking options to bring off the bench to keep the pressure on the opposition late in games.

Ive been a bit bewildered by deans substitutions or lack there of but the more I think of it the man knows the game and sees what we all see as fans rather well if not better than any manager I can think of for us (putting jack out wide for example) So there must be a reason as to why he’s not introducing attackers off the bench to keep said pressure on when we can all see the starters are flagging a bit.

An addition of genuine attacking quality in January could remove that uncertainty at the very least

• Like 1

17 hours ago, thabucks said:

Can @Villain4Life or any peeps who watch the Scottish premiership advise whether Odsonne Edouard would be a better shout than Morelos if we are looking at that league ? 

Morelos is the better striker, he's taken his game to a new level this season and his temperament seems much improved (4 yellows in 17 games all competitions I think). Edouard has arguably scored in bigger games (Old Firm), Champions League etc but Morelos movement off the ball and hold up play is a lot better. Don't get me wrong, they are both good young strikers but if I had the choice I would choose Morelos.

Morelos also back in the Colombia squad for the 2 friendlies coming up which are being played in Europe. If he gets a decent chance and scores, his value will increase even further.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/10/2019 at 12:47, Villan4Life said:

Lawrence Shankland (Dundee United)

I emailed Villa (Suso) about Shankland  last October and said in email he is worth looking at. He was at Ayr United at time. 

He moved to Dundee United on bosman in summer. Scored 15 goals in 12 games for Dundee United this season. He is 24 years old.

He's also  made latest Scotland squad.

Well, if he's anything like the last striker we signed from Dundee Utd.....we will be on a winner.

sounds a good shout.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1