New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

Rodriguez showed on Saturday that he is the sort of player who could have provided us with an option coming off the bench or as cover without breaking the bank. He's a nasty individual but sometimes you need that, Dwight Gayle is just as unpopular with me, but might be available to do the same for a similar fee. If not, we are looking for players who are not getting many games with their clubs, at younger players on loan with a view to buy or at players from abroad/the Championship whose clubs look unlikely to be involved at the top or bottom (like Bowen at Hull).    

• Like 2

In January there might be some clubs wanting to cash in if they have a striker whose contract is running down.  I'm sure Suso will have sussed out who is available should we need to dip into the market and it seems there was money left in the summer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

and if silly money bids come in you might even see McGinn and Grealish go ( i think its unlikely but £100m for the pair could be tempting to the board)

Don't even think about that! :o If we go down yes, that worst case scenario is likely to happen, but to sell them with half the season to go would be accepting relegation as being inevitable and I don't see our board being willing to that. 

On 26/09/2019 at 17:35, screwdriver said:

right at this moment If Villa arn't out there compiling a short list of january options they have learned nothing and are still reading  from remi garde's textbook for battling the drop..

On the subject of learning nothing:

I'd be on the plane to turkey with a suitcase of cash and a pay as you play contract for daniel sturridge.

I would go for experienced prem players. Andros Townsend should be tapped up right now. .

:crylaugh:

I’ve no doubt we wanted another forward in the summer, someone who could play wide and through the middle. Unfortunately, we couldn’t get it completed. We’ve then been unlucky that Kodjia got injured and he missed games. 

I’d be very surprised if we aren’t already in discussions with clubs for a January signing.

1 hour ago, John said:

Rodriguez showed on Saturday that he is the sort of player who could have provided us with an option coming off the bench or as cover without breaking the bank. He's a nasty individual but sometimes you need that, Dwight Gayle is just as unpopular with me, but might be available to do the same for a similar fee. If not, we are looking for players who are not getting many games with their clubs, at younger players on loan with a view to buy or at players from abroad/the Championship whose clubs look unlikely to be involved at the top or bottom (like Bowen at Hull).    

I'd like us to get someone with a bit more pace really. Someone that harasses defenders. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I'd like us to get someone with a bit more pace really. Someone that harasses defenders. 

Gayle just scores goals in the box and there is still a question of how well he would do that outside of the Championship. Bowen has pace, but also has to prove he can score goals in the PL. If we can find and afford someone with pace, that scores goals and that also harasses defenders count me in. ;)

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve no doubt we wanted another forward in the summer, someone who could play wide and through the middle. Unfortunately, we couldn’t get it completed. We’ve then been unlucky that Kodjia got injured and he missed games. 

I’d be very surprised if we aren’t already in discussions with clubs for a January signing.

i agree with this. the problem is we could do with getting a few points on the board before then. not sure how being in the bottom 3 would affect potential new signings.

dwight gayle is a total pest who seemed to do a job off the bench in the prem but could do it regular in the champ. He would have been a great signing as impact sub. He's not tall just a total pest and can score screamers (rem that one for palace at villa park in the last min?) and tap ins. He was brilliant in the play off first leg was so happy when he went off I knew I could order the ribbons for my car.

Rodriguez is a bit more classy but pretty similar was on the fringes of the england team a few years ago.

I'd have taken either at the start of the season. Rumours were we looked at Gayle but it never happened. maybe he didn't want to come and be on the bench?

I doubt any player would come in jan without assurances of starting. no one would come to Villa to be behind the hopeless wesley. therefore I insist we make another darren bent style marquee signing. smash that transfer record!

Top level goalscoring experience is crucial. No more dice roling.

Danny Ings perhaps?

21 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Lawrence Shankland (Dundee United)

I emailed Villa (Suso) about Shankland  last October and said in email he is worth looking at. He was at Ayr United at time. 

He moved to Dundee United on bosman in summer. Scored 15 goals in 12 games for Dundee United this season. He is 24 years old.

He's also  made latest Scotland squad.

I was thinking that if he's half of the striker that the last one we signed from them back in 1975 was, then he's our man. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿;)

• Like 2

Linked with Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos in the Mail.

23 y.o Colombian with an OK scoring record (in Scotland so...)

Apparently had a stellar season in Finland before moving to Scotland.

Fast and strong and with a powerful shot (according to FIFA 19)

Never heard of him or seen him play, any good?

The obligatory £20m fee rumored of course.

Was reading today about Lille 20 year old Nigerian striker who's come in and scored 7 in 8 games for them this season. Didn't see the game tonight so don't know if he caused Chelsea problems but that seems to fit the profile we like.

Would prefer a more experienced option though.

• Like 1