New forward needed in January?

brummybloke

1 minute ago, sne said:

That wasn't down to him not liking Zlatan or how he played.

It was down to Messi not wanting any competition at the central position. Messi wanted him out and Pep obliged. 

Still my question still stands. When did Pep last use a target man since Zlatan?

I think we can rule Man City out. And why would he go to Man Utd, a club in free fall?

Just now, villalad21 said:

Still my question still stands. When did Pep last use a target man since Zlatan?

I think we can rule Man City out. And why would he go to Man Utd, a club in free fall?

Haaland isn't your traditional Andy Carroll type target man, he just happen to be big.

He actually has a lot of qualities that would fit in at City under Pep. Pep is also great at developing players. Just look at Sterling.

Just read through this scout report.

In terms of his appearance and physical build Haland is something of a throwback with his powerful build resembling an old fashioned centre forward. That illusion however is shattered when Haland receives the ball to his feet and showcases his control and technical ability. He excels at taking the ball in to his body and then pushing it past the closest defender, a movement that makes you think he has lost control of the ball before he powers past the defensive player and moves in to space. He is equally aggressive out of possession looking to constantly move to pressure the man in possession and he is intelligent in the way that he cuts off available passing lanes to win the ball back.

Let’s look at a few examples of his strengths.

Aggressive Pressing

Erling Haland is equally comfortable playing as part of a front two or as a lone forward but in either role his aggressive playing style lends itself well to a high pressing system. There are occasions where he is obviously instructed to sit in a more passive defensive block but even then he will look to move laterally across the field in order to cut obvious passing lanes to prevent the opposition from playing past his line of pressure comfortably.

Normally we see Haland move to press and close down the man in possession often chasing the ball aggressively in order to force the opponent to make an error.

Haland-Agressive-Press-300x167.png

Here we see Haland pressing as the lone striker for Molde. The opposition player in possession has two passing options open to him with one across to the other central defender and one to the screening midfielder. Haland is positioned to cover the passing lane across to the second central defender with his run and pressing movement angled to prevent the pass across.

The defender in possession of the ball is risk-averse and instead of splitting the two Molde players to play into the midfield he looks to play back to his goalkeeper to escape the press.

Without losing a beat Haland steps up his press and angles his run at the goalkeeper forcing him to rush his clearance and play the ball straight out of bounds thus winning the ball back for his side.

Haland-cuts-passing-lanes-300x167.png

Here we see Haland working as the lone striker for the Norwegian U19 national team although this time in conjunction with his left-sided attacker. Initially, Haland is moving across to cover the lateral pass across the field. The man in possession of the ball reads this and instead passes back to his goalkeeper.

Haland simply continues his run but angles his press towards the goalkeeper so that his cover shadow is covering the centre-half. This prevents the goalkeeper from bypassing the press with a simple pass back the way it came.

As Haland closes the space, showing acceleration that you may not expect from a player of his size, the keeper again puts the ball straight out of play handing possession of the ball back to Norway.

Running with the ball

We have already seen that Haland is a strong runner out of possession but he is equally effective when running with the ball at his feet. His pace and power combined with excellent technical quality make him exceptionally difficult to stop when he is in full flight with the ball at his feet.

This ability to carry the ball forward in central areas is especially disruptive given that he tends to be running against defenders and in beating a man in these areas you give yourself a genuine chance to get a shot away at goal. When receiving the ball in central areas Haland uses his body well to shield the ball from defenders and is good at taking the ball on his back foot whether that is his left or right before manipulating it into space to run away from the defensive player.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/erling-braut-haland-tactical-analysis

Wesley is our man, I have faith and if he keeps upping his game will really be more than paying his 22 mill fee back to the club. He has plenty of work left to do in finding his style out and our players are I think just starting to learn how to service him

We should of sold Kodjia in my eyes, 7 million might not come across the table for him again, I think it was a crazy offer for a player who doesn't guarentee goals and you never know what your getting from.

I think Davis is as much likely to score than Kodjia, that is how bad our options after Wesley have got.

I would say with Kodjia after having his face mask on that  a face mask doesn't even guarentee that a similar injury won't happen again  It certainly will make him feel more reluctant to make certain moves or actions that risk him re-hurting that injured face, it will restrict him as a player on the pitch for a while because of how painful it could end up being if a horrible accident happens again. I wouldnt want Kodjia to risk is health in any way just as much as i wouldnt want anyone to risk there health, so i think he really should take a back seat and realise that he should fully heal and understand that playing football isn't a wise move for the time being. 

Would you all say that there are some players out there are that devious that they would go for Kodjia's injured face. Some players care about the win more than they would a player and his health, the match can be a very ruthless 90 mins and the odd player would target Kodjia.

For some time (Davis) has been at this very moment in time second striker, regular game time in the Prem could bring on this kid to no end, if he can't get to grips then he really will be in trouble with no where to go but down a league by lone or by sale.

Lansbury-is an option, but he's been so unfortunate with injurys and was indeed unlucky when his last goal was ruled out because of Not our friend Kevin Friend. While Lansbo works hard, his career hasn't been what it really should of and it's a real shame and it's probably better for our club if we do part ways. At 29 years of age is your injurys keep coming back to haunt you at high level football, then I'd say it's pretty easy to say it's probably a good idea to move down a league or two till you can play comfortably. We will always wonder what Lansbury could of been,, because we will never truly see his true ability peak in football I don't think.

Hogan- out on loan at stoke right?? Not only his he not an option but he's playing at a club who are now fighting for relegation from the championship and a quarter of that season is almost done.

I've talked about all our strikers I think, so really the only striker I've yet to talk about is the one who we have yet to sign. Whoever it is he needs to be complete different to Wesley. I think we need a straight up shooter, who we can bring on in second half no matter if we're in front, drawing or behind, where he is outside the box will land a goal or two. I think we are missing that precision, clynical,  no messing about in the back of the net son of a gun straight shooter. It will cost, it will break the bank again but it should surely guarentee out stay in the premier.

Edited by Dave-R

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, at 1m 85 cm he's practically a midget. 

A whopping 5 cm shorter than Haaland :D 

Didn't say he was small.

6'1 isn't particularly tall though. A bit above average.

Regardless, if you look at Pep's trackrecord using strikers him playing taller strikers is more of the exception not the rule.

I would be really surprised if Pep were in for this guy, i really would. Not his type of striker.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Didn't say he was small.

6'1 isn't particularly tall though. A bit above average.

Regardless, if you look at Pep's trackrecord using strikers him playing taller strikers is more of the exception not the rule.

Well he's not going to sell Messi or Aguero now is he?

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Don't know about that. Seem like a long shot to me.

He's playing in a weak league. Would be a bit of a gamble for big clubs. Think Aston Villa would be a good stepping stone for him.

I admire your optimism but not a chance in hell he will end up at B6 he is destined for bigger and better things.

3 hours ago, thunderball said:

We need another forward who is different to Wes, and to replace Kodjia. But what we really need to compliment this is two wider forwards as competition for AEG and Trez who will stretch teams and chip in with goals/crosses.

That's why i wanted Maupay in the summer, sadly it didn't happen.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

In my book it isn't tall nor is it short.

Average height of a man in the UK/US/Germany is 5 foot 9. In Norway it is 5 foot 10 and a half. In Netherlands it is 5 foot 11 

6 foot 1 is on the taller side of things 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 09:37, thunderball said:

We need another forward who is different to Wes, and to replace Kodjia. But what we really need to compliment this is two wider forwards as competition for AEG and Trez who will stretch teams and chip in with goals/crosses.

Agreed, someone who can play in a front 3 as well as replacing wes when needed. We may well need two new strikers, davies is very much an unused back up and kodija likely to be off. 

14 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Some online link (probably poor quality so not linking it) saying we have looked at Denis Politic from Bolton @Villain4Life have you seen him? Only 19

Should never mix sport and politics.