• El Ghazi
    • Wesley
    • Jota (Trezeguet 59)
    • Kodjia (Wesley 74)
    • Luiz (Hourihane 81)
  2. 2. Manager's Perfomrance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/08/19 at 22:59

Positives, Trez, Heaton, Mings, Taylor, Engels and McGinn can hold their heads up (a bit).

We looked dangerous on the break.

Negatives, falling over expecting free kicks and not getting them. Wes's hold up play was poor. We had no shape and only got worse as the game went on.

You can't defend for 90 mins and not retain any possession.

We were expected to lose to the better team so no surprises, but the manner of the loss is infuriating, we literally stopped playing football for 45 mins. 

• Like 4

A good tactial performance nothing stuck when Wesley whent off , things could have been diffrent had Trezueget take his 2 chances , I though it was a promising performance evident there is less time on the ball but this was spurs so what do you expect  ,gutted but  positives to be sure 

not to concerned about the result. Engels looks a very good player.

What concerns me is the ' goals all across the front line idea '  - Early days but Im just not seeing it. Wesley looks a good player - but not sure how you build a forward line around him - all of our front players look so easy to dis posess

Hard to say where we are as a team after that. The fact is the Premier League has a sub section of teams who will merely make up the numbers. We will be within that group of also rans who’ll be absolutely no where near the top six and even further from the top four. The depressing realism is that we’ll do well just to avoid getting spanked at places like Spurs, Man City, Anfield etc let alone get any points. 

1 minute ago, Villaphan04 said:

think bringing Jota on for Trezeguet cost us 

I was thinking that.  Not that Jota wont have a part to play this season but it shows why we wanted another winger.  Can't fault anyone's effort today, eventually got unlocked by them being able to bring one of the best players in the league off the bench.  Physical and mental fatigue was inevitable when on the back foot for so long.

The Heaton, Engels and Mings triumvirate will keep us up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, andym said:

Need to wise up quick. Cannot dwell on the ball, and cannot give it away so easily doing stupid touches

Liked how we were able to play through Spurs a few times in the first half though, it wasnt all hit and hope counter

Yep, exactly where I'm at. Never expected to get anything from today points wise but that second half was dreadful though. Grealish needs to wise up quick and a few need to toughen up, tighten their passing and not be making tepid challenges.

First impressions:

Tough start. Very good PL side, Champions league finalists, and the speed of the game told, we couldn’t keep up or establish a hold.

Midfield was where it was lost, as good as McGinn is, Jack was too slow, and Hourihane didn’t make an impression, we were over run, and second best in every department but it won’t get as bad as that until we meet MCFC and LFC.

We look very blunt upfront, we haven’t worked out how to score goals yet. Trez looks dangerous when he gets up to speed. Though Luiz looked cool under pressure and we missed the anticipated bite of Marvelous. 

Taylor was OK!

We were poor and very second best in the second half, we need to concentrate and move more.

I think we will be OK though this season.

• Like 1

Expected result, but I was generally happy with the performance. A few mistakes and Wesley is a concern.. but I saw enough in that performance to be optimistic for the season.

They needed a wonderstrike from a 52m player to break us down. Once they got one momentum did the rest and our inexperience and nerves showed. 

Targett in at left back next match. And Wesley to stop falling over and be the strong centre forward we assumed we were getting.

• Like 1

A game nobody expected us to win anyway. We were pushed back in the second half by a superior team. The subs didn’t bring anything, so I don’t think they will be starters any time soon.

Engels and Mings worked well as did Elmo and taylor.

First half I thought we contested well despite a clear gulf in class out there. 

Ginny brilliant for his goal, it gave us something to hold onto which made us drop off and look to just hit them on the break. Bjorn Engels had a superb debut, what a signing. Mings was decent as was Heaton. Grealish & Trez were good in the first half too. Wesley was disappointing, going down far too easily.

2nd half was just a pure onslaught and credit to the defence for holding on for as long as we did, shame we couldnt hold on for a draw. They didnt give us a second on the ball, powerful team who got what they deserved in the end. Hoping we can learn quickly.

UTV

• Like 1

There are real positives to take.  We defended stoutly for a very long time against one of the best teams we will play this year. 

We looked dangerous on the break at times, we scored and in my opinion should have had a penalty. 

The main negative was our pressing, we showed them too much respect and allowed them too much time on the ball unchallenged, it was only the last 10 minutes when they were just running through us when they really smelt blood. 

The third was a real shame and not what we deserved. That's the Villa way though, why lose 2-1when you can lose 3-1.

I am sure we will compete much better against the many many teams in this league who are not even close to as good as Spurs at home. 

I had forgotten about deleting a recorded game immediately after it's finished. 😩

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Very disappointed with Jack, he needs to learn from that, and fast. He's lucky he only cost us one goal, he almost cost us in the first half losing the ball deep in our first half by dicking about like he's playing against Rotherham instead of CL finalists.

Yeah. I'm more than a little annoyed about how some of the players were dawdling and gave the ball away so cheaply. Not saying they wouldn't have prevailed but way too many times we gave the ball away cheaply.

There's a few who need to wake up fast and realise they ain't in **** rural Kansas anymore, they're in New York.

Tottenham are just multiple classes above us and anyone expecting anything else was unrealistic. 

We fought well and the players will have learned a lot. Was a bit disapointed that we were sooo poor in possession, but really pleased with Engels and especially Mings today. We are back in the premier league, fans need to accept and expect to meet oppositions that are a lot stronger than us. 

Tottenham are just behind City and Liverpool in quality and look at how those two teams destroyed their oppostions this week. 

Bring on next week!! 

• Like 1

Â