• El Ghazi
    • Wesley
    • Jota (Trezeguet 59)
    • Kodjia (Wesley 74)
    • Luiz (Hourihane 81)
  2. 2. Manager's Perfomrance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/08/19 at 22:59

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

We were still relatively comfortable defensively before Jack's mistake, then our heads just dropped. That's how I saw it.

We were bombed out second half. But we have enough grit and bite and development to improve and adjust

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Spurs away is tough, and we made it tough for Spurs, but there are lots of areas to improve on and a couple of concerns. Not every team in this league can do what Spurs do though and if anything, our real challenge starts next week when we play a team from our division.

Dust yourself off, learn, improve and come back against Bournemouth.

Great post throughout and the bolded part that I’ve left in is particularly important when trying to get some perspective.

So when you go 1 up against a top 6 side, you need to have a plan to defend your lead. Don’t think we did. We allowed too much pressure to build. 

Bit of naivety out there today, I’m afraid.

However, let’s see how things look after the next few matches against lesser sides.

There was a lot to be encouraged by today but also a lot to convince me we need more hard-headed nous in the management team.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Engels, Ming's and Heaton looked Premiership class while McGinn faded badly in the second half.

Also liked the look of Luiz when he came on but Grealish needs a massive boot up the arse for losing possession where he did while I'm still not impressed by Wesley who for his physic is at the moment powder puff.

Ultimately Villa were outclassed but then again it was always going to be difficult building a new team in the Premier League and playing the CL runners up in their new stadium.

Edited by striker

Disappointed we've lost of course but I'm fairly pleased with how we've done today. Bit surprised at some comments, we've held our own for 70 odd minutes against a very good Spurs side. 

Heaton, Mings and Engels were absolutely fantastic I thought and to be fair to Taylor, since I wasn't pleased he was starting, I thought he was also perfectly fine. Midfield really impressive first half but did die out with 25 minutes or so to go which resulted in the 3 goals. It was just wave after wave of Spurs attacks which we couldn't control. Eriksen completely changed the game. Going forward I thought Trezeguet was decent and in hindsight it should've been El Ghazi off. Wesley was a bit of a mixed bag for me, at times he fell over a bit too easily but then others when his hold up play was very good. I'll judge him more when we play teams around us, like next week against Bournemouth. 

I've seen enough today to believe we'll be alright this season. 

• Like 3

It's okey that they won. We had a good first half, but the second half we just collapsed. It's not like we were at the races before their first goal. Bet they had something like 20 attempts the second half, I can't remember us having a single one. 

Wesley did fine in my opinion. He should stop being such a girl, but he played well enough. 

Kodjia on the other hand was absolute **** awful. Exactly the reason why I wanted a striker this summer. He isn't and never will be PL quality. It was either way really weird to sub him on and not Davis. Was obvious we needed Davis and some hold up play. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Other Mat said:

At least 20 of those shots were from outside the box. They hardly troubled Heaton for 70mins. 

We did well to keep our shape and keep them away from our goal for large periods, especially in the first half. But even in the first half...Remember Kane's one on one, and his missed header? Once he's in the swing of things, that's two goals right there, he'll have been very disappointed to only score 2 with the chances he got.

And before people start, I'm not getting hysterical, I think we'll be fine this season, and this game was never going to be an indicator of how we're going as a team. I just think 3-1 makes it seem a much closer game than I thought it was.

• Like 1

**** sake we got dominated by the spuds B /C team, Just let that sink in after spending circa £150m 

This is not a novel from the emperors new tracksuits, Jesus Wept!

Edited by Kingman
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, CharlieAitken59 said:

Engels, Mings, Heaton and McGinn excellent........Grealish very poor, played like he was at Tranmere not Tottenham!

Need a reality check

Disappointed with DS second half tactics....needs to learn quickly? 2 points lost. Hourihane should never play in that crucial position again!

I’m not sure what you mean by 2 points lost as we’ve ended up with no points and could never have got 2 points! 

Irrespective of that, how on earth can losing to the champions league finalists be points dropped. If anybody went into the season expecting us to get points away at spurs then they’re quite frankly mental.

I was proud of that performance. We dug in well. It’s no marker for the season as we’re obviously going to have to take a completely different approach next week but until we predictably tired that was a good performance. 

I get that we shouldn't overreact, and of course we looked decent in the first half against one of the best teams in the league. But really they should have scored 6 or 7. That comedy shot from Sissoko and several others were gimmes.

A lot of work to do - with a proper CDM we will look a bit more solid at the back and able to keep possession. 

• Like 3

For everyone having a go at Wesley they need to wise up. When he took the ball down he was usually on his own. He held the ball up well and brought other into the game. 

We needed players running past him. He needs help. 

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Grealish obviously a cockup, but had had no pass on 80% he got the ball that second half. Usual story of players running away when you need to be brave and get on the ball. He lapsed and dwelled stationary for too long, he had been trying to pass the ball otherwise.

No need to 'pass it'....all he needed to do was hoof it!......absolutely no excuse!

Jota and Luiz looked very off the pace, although possibly to be expected coming on to that amount of pressure against a CL finalist in your first ever premier league game. Hopefully couple more weeks will see them settle but impossible to judge them on that opportunity.

Everyone else should have got the wake up call we needed to step up this season, hopefully none more so than Jack. You don't get that much time in the Premier League.

Promising performances across the back 4 and Heston. until the last 25 minutes they looked great, then they looked horribly exposed thanks to everyone else being on their arses.

Looking forward to seeing us against lesser opposition (of which there is plenty) and when everyone is up to speed and have a few games of understanding under our belts.

Didn't agree with trez coming off, should have been AEG. Luiz did nothing although by then the game was lost. Kodjia looked shocking,  so poor substitutions all around.

Referee was atrocious (both real and virtual).

Edited by MrBlack

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

Cam we make a line in the sand right now everyone. No slagging off or snarky comments towards posters with different views to your own. That goes for both sides. Its shit. It creates a divide. Just share your opinion on the match and cease score pointing against 'them'. Its **** boring. Blind positivity and endless negativity are two extremes of the same 'shit fan' sliding scale.

Just comment on the match, not each other. 

Not that anyone will follow this of course.

Fancy going halves on cocaine and hookers tonight?.. 

7 minutes ago, PrimevalVillan said:

Ref was really bad today. Spurs fouled us every time we moved forward with the ball, almost all game. McGinn flat out got fouled in the box and no call. Ref needs to call that and let VAR decide because it really would have been a PK if so. 

They did VAR that one according to the radio and it came back "no foul".

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Kingman said:

**** sake we got dominated by the spuds B /C team, Just let that sink in after spending circa £150m 

This is not a novel from the emperors new tracksuits, Jesus Wept!

1. We didn't spend anything like £150m

2. It was hardly Spurs' B team - Ndombele alone cost £55m

3. A lot of our new signings barely even featured

Â