Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He played in AFCON so same sort of pre season as Trez and AEM. Was named as a sub for Leipzig friendly.

He was injured at the AFCON and then refused to train at Brugge for a bit - I don't think we need to panic about his absence yet.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2019 at 13:54, PompeyVillan said:

Ahead of Douglas? 

It's interesting because if Nakamba is getting in the team then that probably means Douglas on the bench. 

Or, it won't be popular, either Grealish or McGinn lose their place, Douglas plays further forward and Nakamba plays deeper. 

I don't imagine Nakamba will play anywhere but in the deeper defensive position based on what I know about him. 

Can see Douglas and Nakamba in the team in the not too distant. Bring Targett and Guilbert in to provide the width and drop El Ghazi ( who needs a kick up the arse, anyway ).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I think John McGinn is still awesome, but in the first two games he has repeatedly tried to take on 2 or three players and been pushed off the ball easily, he needs to keep the ball and pass quicker, there is even less space to operate in. I think he will learn quickly and adapt. I just think him and Grealish would benefit from more protection so they can play through the middle. Grealish shouldn't be playing so deep and giving the ball away.

I think Nakamba is a defensive unit, I don't think Luiz is specifically a defensive midfielder.

For certain games I would play the below, have Targett and Guilbert play as wingbacks. Grealish and Trez can come inside or go wide. Elmo can play in that system also, Taylor has improved defensively just doesn't seem to have a clue in the final third.  

----------------- Heaton
Guilbert - Mings - Engels - Targett

--------------- Nakamba -----------
-------- Luiz --------- Mcginn ----
------ Grealish ------ Trez -------
--------------- Wes ------------------

That would be my team, too.

On 18/08/2019 at 13:54, PompeyVillan said:

Ahead of Douglas? 

It's interesting because if Nakamba is getting in the team then that probably means Douglas on the bench. 

Or, it won't be popular, either Grealish or McGinn lose their place, Douglas plays further forward and Nakamba plays deeper. 

I don't imagine Nakamba will play anywhere but in the deeper defensive position based on what I know about him. 

Nakamba in DM, with Luiz and McGinn in the 2 CM position. Push Grealish out to LF just drifting about a bit.

19 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I think John McGinn is still awesome, but in the first two games he has repeatedly tried to take on 2 or three players and been pushed off the ball easily, he needs to keep the ball and pass quicker, there is even less space to operate in. I think he will learn quickly and adapt. I just think him and Grealish would benefit from more protection so they can play through the middle. Grealish shouldn't be playing so deep and giving the ball away.

I think Nakamba is a defensive unit, I don't think Luiz is specifically a defensive midfielder.

For certain games I would play the below, have Targett and Guilbert play as wingbacks. Grealish and Trez can come inside or go wide. Elmo can play in that system also, Taylor has improved defensively just doesn't seem to have a clue in the final third.  

----------------- Heaton
Guilbert - Mings - Engels - Targett

--------------- Nakamba -----------
-------- Luiz --------- Mcginn ----
------ Grealish ------ Trez -------
--------------- Wes ------------------

No width there at all, we would get absolutely bummed in the wide areas and be too compact in the midfield.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

No width there at all, we would get absolutely bummed in the wide areas and be too compact in the midfield.

Disagree mate; Guilbert would give width on the right and Tez will always drift out wide anyway. Its an interesting line-up just not sure if JG would have the same influence if playing wider...

3 hours ago, eholm said:

Disagree mate; Guilbert would give width on the right and Tez will always drift out wide anyway. Its an interesting line-up just not sure if JG would have the same influence if playing wider...

Could see Jack playing a more free role from a flank (dropping AEG) like Eriksen did for Spurs when he came on and turned us over. 

With Nakamba (when fit), Luiz & SJM holding the middle, JG could be much more creative, combine with the fullbacks & give closer support in attacks to Wes & Trezeguet - which I think they’ll need to start delivering goals. 

• Like 1

On 19/08/2019 at 19:46, Awol said:

Could see Jack playing a more free role from a flank (dropping AEG) like Eriksen did for Spurs when he came on and turned us over. 

With Nakamba (when fit), Luiz & SJM holding the middle, JG could be much more creative, combine with the fullbacks & give closer support in attacks to Wes & Trezeguet - which I think they’ll need to start delivering goals. 

Similar set up to what we played when we beat Liverpool in the FAC with Jack & Insomnia behind Tekkers and Delph & Cleverly in SJM and Jack's roles?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Similar set up to what we played when we beat Liverpool in the FAC with Jack & Insomnia behind Tekkers and Delph & Cleverly in SJM and Jack's roles?

I can’t even remember what I had for dinner last week... but as we won, I agree! 

18 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Even when we beat them 1-0 at Anfield earlier that season, We've played a diamond (Although not sure who was the second striker with Gabby). Don't think Tekkers was back by then.

I have a feeling Nakamba is going to be one of those players that, when he plays, will have an immediate effect and take no time at all to get up to the pace.

Quite excited to see him. I imagine he will make his debut on Tuesday at Crewe.

On 19/08/2019 at 16:10, wilko154 said:

A lot of top teams play without natural wingers, and get their width from the full backs.

Putting Jack on one of the wings (in similar role to Bernardo Silva at City) is the only obvious way of getting Nakamba into the team while Douglas and SJM are fit. Trez still offers enough width for it to work.

I also think playing with "inside forwards" rather than wingers would bring the best out of Wesley.

People are scared to push Jack out wide because of the Cabbage connotations, but this would be a much more fluid system under DS, with full backs supporting, and genuine quality throughout centre midfield.

If we don't do that, then I don't see much game time from Nakamba until Douglas / SJM / Jack get injured or suspended.

• Like 1

Â