Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That came across very negative. I'm not writing him off, I think he has been signed as a prospect. With Luiz and Hourihane, i don't see nakamba having a big part to play this season. 

As a prospect i hope he can develop here. I just get the sense people will want him in there and have ridiculous expectations of him. 

fair enough although i would have thought at 25 he couldn't be described as a prospect anymore, although completely agree that transitioning to this league is hard and any expectation should be tempered.

I don't think Gueye looked great at first, in fact he was positively average, possibly because most of the team were terrible and didn't care.

2 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I think having McGinn and Grealish in the team may not work in the Premiership, McGinn in possession is awesome if he can get free, but in the first two games he was pushed off the ball too easily and Grealish hasn't yet found a way to effect a game, losing possession too easily.

I think we need the likes of Nakamba, Luiz and Guilbert to start as these are players who have the intensity we need in this league. Not saying i want to drop Grealish or McGinn just being realistic and stating our midfield does not have the right balance currently.

This is exactly what I was thinking walking back from the game yesterday. I really thought McGinn was poor, he gave the ball away too often and wasn't demanding the ball anywhere near enough. I was thinking that Nakamba, Luiz (further forward) and Grealish might end up being the ticket.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

33 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Somehow I think the things you think it is or might be would be disagreed with by a lot of people here.

What does it say out of curiosity?

15 million pound investment not in squad and not injured. Not good enough. If you think something else than you are not in reality. That kind of investment would be in the squad. 

3 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

15 million pound investment not in squad and not injured. Not good enough. If you think something else than you are not in reality. That kind of investment would be in the squad. 

Might have an injury, might just be badly unfit for this level, 2 games in, this is an overreaction, if he's still not making the squad by early September then you'll be right to ask questions.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is exactly what I was thinking walking back from the game yesterday. I really thought McGinn was poor, he gave the ball away too often and wasn't demanding the ball anywhere near enough. I was thinking that Nakamba, Luiz (further forward) and Grealish might end up being the ticket.

You thought McGinn was poor? I'm sorry I must have been watching a different game.

How anyone can watch that game and come away criticising SJM and defending Grealish is beyond me. Truly.

Fwiw I don't think Luiz is a DM. A DM for me has to hunt the ball and break up play similar to Kante.

Luiz is a classy playmaker but did little in terms of tackling and chasing down.

I think a classic DM is going to be crucial to us. How we fit Marvelous in and then have room for SJM Jack and Luiz is another matter, but as some suggest Jack in a free role off the left wing is an option. And maybe necessary as AEG is nowhere near good enough

3 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Probably, although Grealish is only valuable if his possession leads to goals. Early days I know, but ironically we also seem to be useless at set pieces without Connor.

...he got an assist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I disagree with you on how McGinn played, but even if I did agree, dropping McGinn on the basis of one performance would be bonkers.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Dear God, no.  McGinn is our energy and needs to drive on more from midfield.

I think Luiz and Nakamba will interchange depending on if we're likely to retain possession or not.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ramshackler said:

Is he injured?? Disappointed he isn't even in squad.

Needed far more energy in centre of park today.

Not completely sold on luiz, had a dodgy first half gradually improved but hardly a DM didn't really tackle or Harry or press.

Who knows.

remember rumblings of him going on strike to force through the move though so could potentially have missed most of it not all of his pre season

might not see him until after the international break if that’s the case

18 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

You thought McGinn was poor? I'm sorry I must have been watching a different game.

How anyone can watch that game and come away criticising SJM and defending Grealish is beyond me. Truly.

Fwiw I don't think Luiz is a DM. A DM for me has to hunt the ball and break up play similar to Kante.

Luiz is a classy playmaker but did little in terms of tackling and chasing down.

I think a classic DM is going to be crucial to us. How we fit Marvelous in and then have room for SJM Jack and Luiz is another matter, but as some suggest Jack in a free role off the left wing is an option. And maybe necessary as AEG is nowhere near good enough

I think John McGinn is still awesome, but in the first two games he has repeatedly tried to take on 2 or three players and been pushed off the ball easily, he needs to keep the ball and pass quicker, there is even less space to operate in. I think he will learn quickly and adapt. I just think him and Grealish would benefit from more protection so they can play through the middle. Grealish shouldn't be playing so deep and giving the ball away.

I think Nakamba is a defensive unit, I don't think Luiz is specifically a defensive midfielder.

For certain games I would play the below, have Targett and Guilbert play as wingbacks. Grealish and Trez can come inside or go wide. Elmo can play in that system also, Taylor has improved defensively just doesn't seem to have a clue in the final third.  

----------------- Heaton
Guilbert - Mings - Engels - Targett

--------------- Nakamba -----------
-------- Luiz --------- Mcginn ----
------ Grealish ------ Trez -------
--------------- Wes ------------------

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

McGinn didn't demand the ball enough, especially in the first half, gave the ball away too often and wasn't enough of a presence, Grealish and Luiz played a lot better. Ultimately I think McGinn needs to adapt, it just wasn't a good performance. Not saying he should be dropped, but the idea that Grealish and McGinn cannot play that well together at this level did pop to mind.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

33 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Dear God, no.  McGinn is our energy and needs to drive on more from midfield.

I think Luiz and Nakamba will interchange depending on if we're likely to retain possession or not.

Wouldn't be so certain. Luiz is top quality and will emerge as one our very best players, no idea how good Nakamba is so we will see. Not inconceivable to me that Nakamba, Luiz and Grealish could end up being the best combination. Time will tell.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Good because I'm struggling to see where I said he should be dropped?

I misunderstood, sorry. You were talking longer term.

I guess a lot depends on how good Nakamba actually is. We knew Luiz was going to be half-decent because he'd put in solid shifts against Barcelona and Real Madrid. Nakamba feels like much more of a gamble. I think it might be a while before we see what he has to offer (probably a cup match, or coming on late in a game we're winning).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think nakamba was our 3rd choice for the position, having failed to get phillips and santamaria. 

I don't hold much hope that he will be having an impact in the premier league this year. 

Wasn't there a report we wouldn't pay £10m for Santamaria?

Don't think we'd pay more or similar for a "next choice", doesn't make sense. We'd just pay the £10m or whatever for the better player.

I really wanted Santamaria, and Phillips actually, but both look different players to Marvelous.

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

McGinn is our best hope of goals atm, scored last week and could've easily scored at least once v Bournemouth.

If you want a technically adept midfielder maybe he's not the best one at this level. However if you want someone buzzing around the pitch and getting on the end of second balls around the box in tight relegation six pointers I think he's very much the man.

I'd say of all the squad he's most likely to get ten league goals this season, would back him ahead of any of our forwards tbh which says a lot.

Midfield balance should be fine long term. We have potential DMs but they simply aren't match fit atm, Luiz is getting there so by September we should have options that can last 90 minutes. McGinn is fine as box to box and Hourihane can cover that role and hopefully Jack will step up soon. We need to reign in the praise we give him though, he's a fair bit off James Maddison level atm and way he influences Leicester.

Short term there is probably something to be said for bringing in Hourihane to help out the other three and play more narrow midfield, perhaps a diamond formation and take out El Ghazi who is struggling with step up.

Â